Weird Birth Control Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter mandajane
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mandajane

Guest
Ok, so I have a question.

My FH and I are planning to start trying to have kids as soon as we’re married (we’d like one or two before we’re 30).

My mom was telling me that you can use the pill to time your period.

So, here’s the thing. Would it be a sin if I took the pill before the wedding, when I am not having any sexual intercourse, then stopped 2 weeks before the wedding so that I’d get my period over with and be fertile on my honeymoon? I’m afraid to ask my OB, because he’s been trying to just push me onto the pill for years now (i can’t switch, he’s the only one in 30 miles who takes my insurance), so i figured I’d find out whether or not this use was a sin, before I even posited the question to him.

Thoughts?
 
Technically, women on the pill don’t have periods. Periods occur after ovulation when the body sheds the uterine lining in preparation for the next cycle. But since women taking hormonal birth control don’t ovulate, they instead experience withdrawal bleeding, which occurs when the body stops receiving the hormones it expects. From a purely practical standpoint (not medical or moral or anything else), hormonal birth control can truly mess up your cycles. It can make them appear longer or heavier or lighter than normal. When you come of the pill, it may be several months before your cycles ever regulate. This can make it difficult (though not impossible) for former pill users to learn natural family planning. And NFP is useful if you are trying to conceive because you can better time intercourse or date a pregnancy. It can also help identify any cycle issues you may already have that would make it difficult for you to get pregnant.

My advice is to skip the chemicals and instead take an NFP class through your diocese. If you’re fertile during your honeymoon, great! You may get a honeymoon baby. If you’re infertile during your honeymoon, that’s okay too. It’ll give you some time to practice sex without any added pressure. If you’re menstruating during your honeymoon, and you wish to abstain, you and your new husband will be able to practice the self discipline you’ll need when you do become pregnant and have a baby. Appreciate your fertility for what it is and don’t try to manipulate it.

God bless, and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
 
Ok, so I have a question.

My FH and I are planning to start trying to have kids as soon as we’re married (we’d like one or two before we’re 30).

My mom was telling me that you can use the pill to time your period.

So, here’s the thing. Would it be a sin if I took the pill before the wedding, when I am not having any sexual intercourse, then stopped 2 weeks before the wedding so that I’d get my period over with and be fertile on my honeymoon? I’m afraid to ask my OB, because he’s been trying to just push me onto the pill for years now (i can’t switch, he’s the only one in 30 miles who takes my insurance), so i figured I’d find out whether or not this use was a sin, before I even posited the question to him.

Thoughts?
The pill doesn’t work that way. It supresses ovulation and then tricks the body into having a “period”. It sometimes takes several cycles after stopping the pill before you are fertile again.

While it’s romantic to want to conceive on your honeymoon, you are more likely to be fertile on or soon after your wedding day if you keep the hormones out of your system.
 
Ok, so I have a question.

My FH and I are planning to start trying to have kids as soon as we’re married (we’d like one or two before we’re 30).

My mom was telling me that you can use the pill to time your period.

So, here’s the thing. Would it be a sin if I took the pill before the wedding, when I am not having any sexual intercourse, then stopped 2 weeks before the wedding so that I’d get my period over with and be fertile on my honeymoon? I’m afraid to ask my OB, because he’s been trying to just push me onto the pill for years now (i can’t switch, he’s the only one in 30 miles who takes my insurance), so i figured I’d find out whether or not this use was a sin, before I even posited the question to him.

Thoughts?
Wouldn’t it e simpler to time your wedding in line with your cycle than the other way around?
 
My first thought is- why is it so important that you’re fertile on your honeymoon? If you are going to try to get pregnant right away, it’s probably much more likely to happen sooner if you don’t take the pill.

I was on the pill for a couple of years (not used as a contraceptive- it was for medical reasons) and I hated what it did to my body so much I stopped taking it. When I stopped, it took over a year for my cycle to regulate, so trying to learn how to chart was a big challenge. Doctors will tell you that your cycle just goes back to normal afterward, but that’s certainly not always the case and definitely was not with me. If your cycles are regular now and you learn how to chart, there’s no reason to take the pill and your “plan” would probably backfire anyway.

Would it be a sin? I don’t know, so I can’t answer that question. But it seems to me that trying to change your body so that it functions within your timeframe instead of God’s probably isn’t a good idea.
 
Ok, so I have a question.

My FH and I are planning to start trying to have kids as soon as we’re married (we’d like one or two before we’re 30).

My mom was telling me that you can use the pill to time your period.

So, here’s the thing. Would it be a sin if I took the pill before the wedding, when I am not having any sexual intercourse, then stopped 2 weeks before the wedding so that I’d get my period over with and be fertile on my honeymoon? I’m afraid to ask my OB, because he’s been trying to just push me onto the pill for years now (i can’t switch, he’s the only one in 30 miles who takes my insurance), so i figured I’d find out whether or not this use was a sin, before I even posited the question to him.

Thoughts?
The Pill makes your body think you are pregnant.
It also has a bunch of side effects like higher risk of breast cancer, strokes, and causes alteration of your memory.
If you wanna know your cycle more and be able to predict your period, the start charting, noticing mucus etc… it will give you an overview and then you know when you will have your period.

I remember you from another thread.
How long have you been with your bf?
 
Hindsight being 20/20 of course, I wouldn’t take it all because you can plan all you want - it will happen when it’s supposed to happen. Say some prayers together instead that it works out the way you plan - but if it doesn’t - there’s a reason why. The Pill can screw up your fertility for a long time. My hubby and I tried to plan our first child for years, when we had enough money, a house, etc., when we were finally ready it then took us 2-3 years to get pregnant when we thought it would be quick - so looking back- we would have just let Him be in charge of it.
 
Wouldn’t it e simpler to time your wedding in line with your cycle than the other way around?
No. Not that she should take ABC, but you can’t plan your wedding around your period.

Even if you have a very regular cycle, many things can mess it up. One being stress. So the stress of the wedding may very well bring on a period.

In addition, you generally plan your wedding 9 months to a year out. If you are off just a day per cycle in your planning, you will be 9 to 12 days off by the time you get married, again for someone with regular cycles.

If someone has irregular cycles there is no way to know when she will have her period 12 months away. It would be a total guess. 🤷
 
You’re also not supposed to get pregnant for several months after coming off the Pill - you need to flush the excess hormones out of your system so that they don’t affect the developing baby.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
 
I think a good way to look at fertility and honeymoon is this: God is in control and that’s a wonderful thing! When we start to try to control everything and think that we know what’s best, especially when it comes to the creation of new life, things may not go as smoothly. I agree with all the posters that messing with artificial hormones is a bad idea and I hope for all the blessings for you that family life can offer!
 
No. Not that she should take ABC, but you can’t plan your wedding around your period.

Even if you have a very regular cycle, many things can mess it up. One being stress. So the stress of the wedding may very well bring on a period.

In addition, you generally plan your wedding 9 months to a year out. If you are off just a day per cycle in your planning, you will be 9 to 12 days off by the time you get married, again for someone with regular cycles.

If someone has irregular cycles there is no way to know when she will have her period 12 months away. It would be a total guess. 🤷
AND stress screws up even the most regular cycles. Wedding planning is stressful.
 
There is simply no reason to force your body to attempt to get pregnant on a certain day. It may or may not happen anyway.
 
I remember you from another thread.
How long have you been with your bf?
We’ve been friends for ages, and started ‘dating’ about 2 years ago, and started discussing marriage about 8 months ago, and became engaged over Christmas.

As far as predicting my period, it’s very irregular. My cycle swings between 28 and 45 days, though some times I wont have a period at all. I’ve gone up to 90 days once. >.<

Anyway, thanks for your answers. I thought I’d ask before skipping over to the OB’s office.
 
My best advice is to relax and let nature take it’s course. I belive that if you let your body function on it’s own timing without trying to alter things with foreign chemicals, you will not regret it.

May God Bless your marriage.🙂
 
As far as predicting my period, it’s very irregular. My cycle swings between 28 and 45 days, though some times I wont have a period at all. I’ve gone up to 90 days once.
My cycles are pretty irregular, too. Learning to chart has been a tremendous help. That’s because most cycle variation occurs in the first part of the cycle. Once you’ve ovulated, the second half of your cycle (the luteal phase) is generally very consistent.
 
We’ve been friends for ages, and started ‘dating’ about 2 years ago, and started discussing marriage about 8 months ago, and became engaged over Christmas.

As far as predicting my period, it’s very irregular. My cycle swings between 28 and 45 days, though some times I wont have a period at all. I’ve gone up to 90 days once. >.<

Anyway, thanks for your answers. I thought I’d ask before skipping over to the OB’s office.
BC is not going to help as people above have noted. You should learn to chart, because like the poster above, the irregularity happens during the first part of the cycle. If you chart and identify ovulation, you will be able to not only time marital relations to maximize conception chances, but predict when you will get your period at least 2 weeks in advance. Since you cycles are irregular I would suggest either Creighton or STM. STM just for the symptom cross checks, but Creighton for the possible check for health problems.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top