Went to Mass and the Gospel was chanted

• Thread starter Thread starter DlandFan06
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mass.

Mass itself warrants enough to be the most important event in the world. The Gospel can be chanted at every Mass, in fact the entire Mass can be sung, whether or not it is a solemnity or not.
Can, yes.

Should, no.

There is a principle called “progressive solemnity” where the degree of solemnity is elevated depending on the day. It is fitting to have a simple, spoken Mass on ferial weekdays, but the smells and bells on Solemnities, because there indeed “special events” in the life of the Church. That’s what the question was about.

Can, yes.

Should, no.

There is a principle called “progressive solemnity” where the degree of solemnity is elevated depending on the day. It is fitting to have a simple, spoken Mass on ferial weekdays, but the smells and bells on Solemnities, because there indeed “special events” in the life of the Church. That’s what the question was about.
At the abbey I’m associated with, all readings are chanted every day at the ordinary form conventual Mass. Progressive solemnity is applied in other ways. Of course, use or not of the Gloria and Credo, but also on ordinary ferias the EP and preface are chanted recto tono, and the intercessions are not chanted. But the readings are, and Gregorian chant is always used for the propers and ordinary… It’s pretty much the rule in any abbey of the Solesmes congregation whether the OF or EF is used. Also the pipe organ is not used at ordinary weekdays and memorials.

I guess I never got an answer to my question. Lol.
Sounds like it was just a regular Sunday Mass (although it was a feast day) and the priest chose to chant the Gospel. That can and does happen and it does not have to be a special kind of Mass. One of our priests does this type of thing. Some Sundays he will sing almost the entire Mass, and then some he won’t. I guess it depends on his mood, or if he had time to practice, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back