S
SeraficLeo
Guest
What a load of crap. Europe was not built from scratch beginning in the 16th century when European profiteers were first able and willing to purchase African slaves from African kings, who had already grown accustomed to selling their own people like shop merchandise thanks to their having done that already for centuries with their Muslim neighbours. I can’t think of too many notable landmarks in Europe that were built by African slaves: can you name any?Europe was built on the backs of slaves.
Furthermore -and this is amazing considering what was happening with the Reformation at the time- the Pope excommunicated the Spanish (and any other) slave traders; that is, inflicted on them the gravest penalty of the Church. Other Christian churches, over time, followed suit, thank God. Now considering that Spain in particular was literally the last bastion of stable Catholic power in Europe and the world (France was almost lost to the Reformation and the Italian city states were anything if not unstable) - for the Pope and the Church to excommunicate those involved in one of their most lucrative national trades, was as I said remarkable. I don’t think Islamic religious leaders or authorities would condemn slavery for some centuries to come.
Now need I remind you that while I agree completely that the resurgence of slavery in Europe, brought on by the sudden and massive demand for human labour that accompanied the discovery especially of the New World, was absolutely evil; yet there is this rather glaring difference, that the Christian religion was in the forefront of combating and trying to exterminate the practice of slavery; whereas, in the Islamic world, there was no equivalent religious reaction or opposition, certainly not to my knowledge, at least.
But this makes no difference whatsoever: You didn’t care in the slightest that your beloved Islamic Golden Age was brought on on the backs of Near-Eastern, African and European slaves for centuries without end or opposition. So maybe I guess Golden Ages fuelled by slavery are fine, so long as it’s not Christians or Europeans doing it?