What am I good at?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlanFromWichita
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlanFromWichita

Guest
So often we are so focused on our spiritual journey, we are looking ahead instead of smelling the roses along the way.

In order to progress, we like to find our faults – ever mindful they are there – and work on eliminating them. Well, how about trying to grow some positive things we have and work on them? The best way to fight weeds in a lawn is to have a healthy turf.

I’ll start. I think I’m good at one of the spiritual works of mercy, comforting the afflicted. I think I am good at listening to people and helping draw them out to express exactly how they feel and what they want to express. Sometimes I am the first person they feel like they “got through” to. I’m actually better at counseling the afflicted of heart or mentally afflicted, than physically afflicted.

Please don’t think I’m boasting. I have my faults, for sure. The point is this is something I think I’m good at and would like to get better at, and I totally thank God for giving me the path the allowed me to grow these skills. I cannot say I am proud of this, but I am pleased to engage in it and I believe that I have helped people in the past and can help more in the future.

Please, somebody else give a story, so I don’t feel too much foolish. 😛

Alan
 
): I’m not very good at things.

I suppose the only thing I AM good at is loving (platonic) people and helping people laugh even when they aren’t in the mood to do so.

I could make a much longer list of things I’m not good at. Heh.
 
): I’m not very good at things.

I suppose the only thing I AM good at is loving (platonic) people and helping people laugh even when they aren’t in the mood to do so.

I could make a much longer list of things I’m not good at. Heh.
Well, I can understand that, but I’m glad you did share a Good Thing. A widow friend of our remarried about 10 years ago and they are very happy; he used to be a clown and he makes her laugh.
 
Well, I can understand that, but I’m glad you did share a Good Thing. A widow friend of our remarried about 10 years ago and they are very happy; he used to be a clown and he makes her laugh.
There is one saint who used to love making people laugh but I forget his name. Anyway, I think he’s the one I’ll probably relate to the most. 🙂 Later on in my journey I might try to find him again. I could probably learn a thing or too through his life.

I think this thread was a great idea though. We get lost because we think we have to be like everyone else but in the end we’re each unique with our own special ‘gift’ to share with others. Finding out what we’re good at is a good step towards figuring out what our ‘gift’ is.
 
There is one saint who used to love making people laugh but I forget his name.
I think you might mean St. Philip Neri. He was quite the jokester. Even the penances he gave in confession were lighthearted, like carrying a chicken through the town. 😛

Betsy
 
I think you might mean St. Philip Neri. He was quite the jokester. Even the penances he gave in confession were lighthearted, like carrying a chicken through the town. 😛

Betsy
Oh thank you!!! 😃 I appreciate that.
 
Hi Alan,
Ever since I was a teenager, I’ve always been an encourager. I didn’t know until I was much older (and a believer) that it was a gift from God. People are just naturally drawn to me, everywhere I go. They will just start talking to me in stores, on the street, etc. So I do my best to say something positive to them or to compliment them in some manner (even if I’m not having a good day) as I know this is my gift to give back to God. It can be difficult at times, because I just want to “be” in my own world, but I know I have to share.
The other gift that I have become more aware of, is the gift of love. I know we all have it, but the Lord has really brought it to my attention that he wants to “grow” this in me a great deal more, as I know he has a bigger plan for me. So, I am learning, and listening to how he wants to use me.
Don’t feel funny about starting this thread, I think it’s a good one! 😉
 
I try to be a peace-maker. Sometimes I come off as weak because of this and I wonder if I shouldn’t come down harder on people at times when they need it but I rarely find it in me to do so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top