C
CutlerB
Guest
Just a few moments ago, yet another wave of frustration hit me. Recently, I’ve been encountering so much dissent and disruption by people who want the Church to “reform” that it really makes me wonder: What are we to do?
For example, in another thread, I posted about a Cologne initiative to make Bishops subject to the laity’s approval. Then there’s the entire business of the divorced and remarried, which is the single big issue here in Germany among Catholics. Right after that, we have the recent survey about Church teaching on marriage, sexuality and contraception. Our media here (I don’t know about America or other countries than Germany) are going bananas about it. “Reform! Reform! The laity want it! Look at you, Vatican, stuck in the past!”
The comments I encounter on Facebook pages that post German Catholic news are discouraging. The media would probably label them “progressives”. I feel like I am one of perhaps two or three who stand up for Church teaching. The rest will accuse me of being reactionary, a pessimist, non-pastoral, judgemental, conservative and other stuff. Over time, those comments make me doubt whether my understanding of what the Church teaches is correct. I’m close to despairing.
Have you encountered such things? Perhaps we can collect some here, it would be interesting to see what goes on around the globe. Have any of you been close to despair in the face of such opposition, when you feel you’re alone in defending Holy Church? What are we to do?
For example, in another thread, I posted about a Cologne initiative to make Bishops subject to the laity’s approval. Then there’s the entire business of the divorced and remarried, which is the single big issue here in Germany among Catholics. Right after that, we have the recent survey about Church teaching on marriage, sexuality and contraception. Our media here (I don’t know about America or other countries than Germany) are going bananas about it. “Reform! Reform! The laity want it! Look at you, Vatican, stuck in the past!”
The comments I encounter on Facebook pages that post German Catholic news are discouraging. The media would probably label them “progressives”. I feel like I am one of perhaps two or three who stand up for Church teaching. The rest will accuse me of being reactionary, a pessimist, non-pastoral, judgemental, conservative and other stuff. Over time, those comments make me doubt whether my understanding of what the Church teaches is correct. I’m close to despairing.
Have you encountered such things? Perhaps we can collect some here, it would be interesting to see what goes on around the globe. Have any of you been close to despair in the face of such opposition, when you feel you’re alone in defending Holy Church? What are we to do?