What bible do you use?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catholic_Ninja
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The RSV 2CE is NOT used in the Catechism of the Catholic Church…English verision

it came out years after the Catechism.

The Catechism though does use the RSV in other incarnations. And it seems the English translations of other documents prefer the RSV in one form or another as well.

and yes in some of his books it is used…well cause Ignatius is publishing them and the 2CE is from Ignatius

(nothing against the RSV 2CE of Ignatius…of course…(I love Ignatius) …this is simply a fact question)
That is why I put RSV-CE/2CE, the RSV_2CE is considered a light revision of the RSV-CE
and not a new translation (according to Ignatius). That is why they did not have to apply for the new Imprimatur, which was given to the RSV-CE in 1966. You are right there was no RSV-2CE when the Catechism was written, but there was a RSV-CE. The NRSV was also was used in the Catechism, to avoid some of the archaic language (thees and thous) used in the RSV-CE. The RSV-2CE made those changes later, and would have worked well with the Catechism.
 
I use La Bible de Jérusalem, the original French edition of the Jerusalem Bible, possibly the best translation of any in the world. When I quote short passages I translate from it, comparing my translation with the Greek and Latin. If I have to quote lengthy passages, I use the New Revised Standard Version.

Verbum
 
I am not Catholic (formally an Assemblies of God member, but doctrinally I’m just as much Anglican and Lutheran), but I own and use a Douay-Rheims/Challoner and an NAB Study Bible. I also use a good many Protestant Bibles, with the ESV, HCSB, TNIV, NEB and REB among my favorites.
 
I am using the RSV-2CE for my personal readings, and I use the NAB for mass and occasionally personal reading as well.

I have the Douay, and use it here and there. I do love it though, red lettering!

I noticed many catholic like and use the RSV-2CE, would the USCCB ever make it the official scriptures of the Catholic Church in the US?
 
I noticed many catholic like and use the RSV-2CE, would the USCCB ever make it the official scriptures of the Catholic Church in the US?
I had noticed that too and thats a good question. 👍

What would we have to do to request it? Send them letters/emails or have a petition or something?
 
I had noticed that too and thats a good question. 👍

What would we have to do to request it? Send them letters/emails or have a petition or something?
Something! I think this would be fantastic!

lets start a petition thread! lol

👍👍🤷
 
. . .

I noticed many catholic like and use the RSV-2CE, would the USCCB ever make it the official scriptures of the Catholic Church in the US?
Probably not as long as they collect the royalties on the NAB.😉
 
I have a Douay Rheims (Haydock edition) which I really, really like. I also use a New Jerusalem bible, mostly to present a modern translation of something I read in the Douay that might be confusing to me.

Most of the time though, I end up using the NAB cause that’s what printed in the daily missal/Sunday Missal I have.

I also have La Biblia de Jerusalen (Spanish version of Jerusalem bible) which I really should read more often.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top