What Bible Passage Sums Up the Gospel

  • Thread starter Thread starter SalesianSDB
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SalesianSDB

Guest
So I was wondering this: what passage (verse or series of verses) best sums up the Gospel message of Jesus?

What passage would you reccomend to a Catholic for evangelization to non-Catholic Christians and non-Christians?

I know most proestant crusades use John 3 (mainly because of born again, believe and be saved?..but if there were a Catholic crusade what Bible verse would be used?

Thanks.

God bless.
 
I had to look this up in my new Ignatius Catholic study bible (new testatment only).

I think that Acts 13:13-41 is Paul’s apostolic and evangelistic statement of faith to the Jews of Pamphylia. It is a summary of the Old Testament and a proclamation of the good news of Jesus Christ.

I’m not real familiar with Acts. I think that Peter is quoted similarly, but I am posting this to give you a start.
 
For me,

Douay Rheims Bible…

Romans 8: 1-20…

God Bless
 
Definitely Mt 22:37-39

He said to him, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

A Pharisees asked Jesus which was the greatest commandments and this was His response.
 
Definitely Mt 22:37-39

He said to him, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”
👍
 
Definitely Mt 22:37-39

He said to him, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

A Pharisees asked Jesus which was the greatest commandments and this was His response.
That sums up the Commandments, but to sum up the Gospels I would go with the Protestants’ promotion of Jon 3:16:
14* And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life." * 16* For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17* For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. John 3:14-17
 
[BIBLEDRB]John 3:16[/BIBLEDRB]

Yeah, I know–but there is a reason it is that popular;)
 
1 Cor. 15:1-4
Now I would remind you, brethren, in what terms** I preached to you the gospel**, which you received, in which you stand, by which you are saved, if you hold it fast–unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures,
God bless you
 
I doubt it’s truly possible but I’d go for a combination of two, which sum up the New Covenant.

The first has already been posted and concerns what we need to do:
**“You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.” **Mt 22:37-39

And the second is how God plans to accomplish this in us by His grace:
"This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
Jer 31:33
 
I doubt it’s truly possible but I’d go for a combination of two, which sum up the New Covenant.

The first has already been posted and concerns what we need to do:
**“You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.” **Mt 22:37-39

And the second is in reference to how God plans to accomplish this in us by His grace:
"This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
Jer 31:33
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top