What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished the last of the Tony Hillerman books, so I’m back in the Wheel of Time series (book 6) by Robert Jordan. Interspersed with spiritual reading, which at the moment is “Tower of Light” by Michael H. Brown.
 
Just finished Dream When You’re Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg, a somewhat intriguing chick lit novel, with a historically accurate WW-II setting, following the love lives of three sisters—Kitty, Louise, and Tish.

Also finished How Starbucks Saved My Life, by Michael Gates Gill. Now he knows how to clean bathrooms and make a grande upside down caramel machiato.

Next on the list will be What’s the Matter with California? by Jack Cashill. It is subtitled: “Cultural Rumbles from the Golden State and Why the Rest of Us Should be Shaking.” Reading this will be my recompense for having to wade through “What’s the Matter with Kansas?”
 
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight translated by Tolkien (thanks to whomever it was on this board who recommended it!!)
 
Been reading alot on after-death experiences…Okay, I know - as a Catholic we have to be careful about those people…Some may be legit and some? I’m steering away from psychics, etc., even though there are some I may or may not lend credence to. But after losing my Mom, I’m in mourning/grieving/searching mode.

So far - while I have no intention of giving up my Faith’s Teachings for someone’s near-death recounting, there was one book, interestingly, which I may have considered as possibly close - didn’t properly explain “hell”. So, I contacted the author, who was very nice, but instead of answering my question directly, suggested I order the two follow-up books from the website.

'Nuff said.
 
Currently reading Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI. Awesome book.
 
About to start “Rediscovering Catholicism” by Matthew Kelly. Really looking forward to reading it - what a fantastic author. 👍
 
I just finished “The Secret Cardinal” by Tom Grace. This is an excellent novel. It reminds me of the Tom Clancy movies. I learned a lot about the Chinese Underground Catholics thanks to his fact info part at the end. It is a must read!
 
For class: Dracula

For fun in my (little) spare time: “Deaf World” and “Hidden Frustrations.”
 
I’m Current Reading:

Jesus of Nazareth, Benedict XVI 👍
Whats so Great about American, Denish D’Souza
 
The Secret Cardinal by Tom Grace

It’s supposed to be a suspense novel but I am still waiting for the suspense to kick in!!

Micki
 
The Art of Prayer by Msgr. Romano Guardini, which is the modern Sophia Institue Press title - originally called “Prayer In Practice” and published by Pantheon in 1957.

Wow! I have long heard of Msgr Guardini, and specifically, the Holy Father references both this book and also The Lord (which I do not have but will be getting very soon) in his book Jesus of Nazareth.

He is very enlightening, and this book in particular is a masterwork on understanding and improving prayer.
 
Right now I am currently reading: " Of This Earth" by Rudy Wiebe

Kathy
 
Ken Follett’s World Without End, which is a sequel to his book The Pillars of the Earth. He tells the story of the building of a Cathedral and the culture and climate of the time. I’m enjoying it, it’s not especially Catholic and you will find things in it that aren’t totally complimentary to the Catholic church-but it’s a good story just the same.

I’m also working on Pope Benedict’s Jesus of Nazareth.
 
This weekend I read with my grandkids ages 5 to 10. We read three new books by April Robins, “Where is My Bennie?”, “The Beautiful Princess Without a Face”, and “Zachary Goes Treasure Hunting”. They love the beautiful illustrations and easy to read words. Ms. Robins writes happy books with family values.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top