What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished The Cousins’ Wars by Kevin Phillips about the English Civil War, American Revolution and American Civil War. He goes into a lot of detail about the religious themes that recur in each conflict, anti-popery being prominent in all three.

Some great lines in the book:

John Adams, speaking on the threat of the King appointing C of E bishops for the colonies warned, “They will come in here with their creeds and tests and declare all of our churches to be schism shops.”

Before the Revolution broke out William Pitt, the English prime minister, complained that religious dissenters were fueling anti-government feeling. “Every man already being his own Pope, it is but a small step for him to wish to be his own King.”
 
Ken Follett’s World Without End, which is a sequel to his book The Pillars of the Earth. He tells the story of the building of a Cathedral and the culture and climate of the time. I’m enjoying it, it’s not especially Catholic and you will find things in it that aren’t totally complimentary to the Catholic church-but it’s a good story just the same.

I’m also working on Pope Benedict’s Jesus of Nazareth.
I read the Pillars of the Earth many, many years ago…Twice.

I think a third is in order to be followed by the sequel.

I never knew there was a sequel. Thanks for the tip!
 
Ken Follett’s World Without End, which is a sequel to his book The Pillars of the Earth. He tells the story of the building of a Cathedral and the culture and climate of the time. I’m enjoying it, it’s not especially Catholic and you will find things in it that aren’t totally complimentary to the Catholic church-but it’s a good story just the same.
.
Oooh. I read The Pillars Of The Earth twice, and am glad to hear there’s a sequel. The first was a very good story.

Right now I’m on the 3rd book of Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. I’m re-reading them to be able to comment semi-inteligently on them.

Also reading Patrick Madrid’s Why Is That In Tradition?, and skimming Imitation Of Christ at bedtime.
 
Pillars of the Earth, just entering part 2. Always enjoyed Follett, but had never picked up this one until the daughter said, gotta read this one. Have been told that World Without End is even better, so have the copy here ready to go, just in case I get snowed in, I hope, I hope!
Actually I’m something of a history buff and am into American Civil War and World War II big time.
Usually there are 4 or 5 books going at the same time. Depends upon my mood and the time of day.
I live by Benedicts Rules and read THAT everyday. Teach CCD, history of the church, you would be amazed just how much reading goes into that, if you want to do a half descent job of teaching.
Used to be the high school librarian and taught literature. Think I was born with a book in my hand. Love mysteries and spy novels, does that make me strange??
 
I just read a book that offers scientific evidence that Noah’s Ark did exist. The evidence is amazing… only the ark isn’t quite how the bible described.

amazon.com/Noahs-Discover…6650271&sr=1-1

Here is my favorite quote from the book: “If Noah was really the name of the man who accomplished this effort, then imagine that person convincing his people to do it not just for themselves, but for the good of all, a monumental worldwide effort that still provides a benefit thousands of years later.”
 
By Faith we know that the ark existed. I would imagine that if one were really, really, Really into science one would want scientific evidence to back up ones Faith.😉
Kidding aside it does sound interesting.
 
Commanche Moon by Larry McMurtry, 2nd chronologicaly in the Lonesome Dove saga
 
Sun and Wind: The Legend of Joseph of Arimathea by William Boardman. Fiction. Not great, but interesting. Based on and old legend that, following the Resurrection, Joseph escaped from Jerusalem and went to Britain, establishing the Faith there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top