What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you know they have a tree @ the National Cathedral in Washington that’s grown from a piece of the tree that sprouted from Joseph of Arimathea’s staff at Glastonbury? I think Queen Elizabeth donated it.
 
Did you know they have a tree @ the National Cathedral in Washington that’s grown from a piece of the tree that sprouted from Joseph of Arimathea’s staff at Glastonbury? I think Queen Elizabeth donated it.
Thank you! I shall make it a personal pilgrimage to go see it! 👍
 
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, by Betty Smith. Francie Nolan grows up, surrounded by her Catholic family and the beauty and heartbreak of Brooklyn life in the early 1900s. Her love of reading sustains her through tragedy and triumph.

I have an ancient dog-eared copy and I re-read it every couple of years. Didn’t realize this story was out of print! The film by the same name was all right, but doesn’t come close to the splendor of the book.
 
Two books…flip flopping back and forth.
  1. Mother Angelica’s book
  2. Mother Teresa’s book…the controversial one…Come be my light…(although, I’m not seeing anything controversial about it, and I feel badly that it was published against her will, when she left instructions to burn her memoirs)
 
I’m reading the Golden Compass and Moral Philosophy, and the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Good books!
 
Taking a break from early Christian writings – stopping before I tackle a giant in the form of St. Irenaeus’ “Against All Heresies.”

So taking in some “light” stuff for now – easier reading, can be read while the wife has the TV on…:rolleyes:

“Divine Mercy in My Soul” (Saint Faustina’s Diary)

and

“Tales of the Jedi Omnibus Vol 1” (Star Wars comic compilation about the Star Wars universe 5,000 years before Luke Skywalker, or for Star Wars geeks like me “5,000 BBY”)
 
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, by Betty Smith. Francie Nolan grows up, surrounded by her Catholic family and the beauty and heartbreak of Brooklyn life in the early 1900s. Her love of reading sustains her through tragedy and triumph.

I have an ancient dog-eared copy and I re-read it every couple of years. Didn’t realize this story was out of print! The film by the same name was all right, but doesn’t come close to the splendor of the book.
I loved that book, too. I thought the movie was pretty decent, but of course the original story’s better.
I read some of “South” by Sir Ernest Shackleton recently. Wow! What amazing courage & loyalty to his expedition members.
 
ok,i dont really know how 2 spell this i mean my goodness im only 14! 🤷 ok im reading the book about Saint Phostina.its really amazing!! i recomend it for everyone!
 
Today I am **re-reading **Father James Martin’s My Life with the Saints. It has just come out in paperback should anyone need a Christmas gift idea.
 
ok,i dont really know how 2 spell this i mean my goodness im only 14! 🤷 ok im reading the book about Saint Phostina.its really amazing!! i recomend it for everyone!
That’s great to hear – i can only hope my kids will be reading books like that when they are 14 (they are only 1.5 and 4 at teh moment but I am hopeful :))

Is that her diary? That’s what I am reading too - -if you mean Saint Faustina 🙂

It is really interesting.
 
I’m reading (not in a very methodical way):

The Thrill of the Chaste by Dawn Eden

And in the re-reads right now, I’m working on:

In This of House of Brede by Rumer Godden

Thomas More excellent bio by Peter Ackroyd
“Girls Gone Mild” by Wendy Shalit
How’re you liking it? I read A Return to Modesty recently, but found it tough to get into because it’s written from such a secular point of view- I’m liking Dawn Eden a lot better.
 
Which one? There are so many out there by different people, it is confusing.
The one I read was “a verse translation by Frederick Rebsamen”.

Now I’m reading “A Cardinal Offense: A Father Dowling Mystery” by Ralph M. McInerny
 
Has anyone here read the book, Father Joe? I bought this book at Borders about 3 months ago, read a few pages…it’s ok, but I didn’t think it was going to be about a teenage boy who had an affair with an older woman, and so I kind of got turned off by the beginning…and haven’t picked it up since. Anyone have any positive reports on this one?
 
Has anyone here read the book, Father Joe? I bought this book at Borders about 3 months ago, read a few pages…it’s ok, but I didn’t think it was going to be about a teenage boy who had an affair with an older woman, and so I kind of got turned off by the beginning…and haven’t picked it up since. Anyone have any positive reports on this one?
No, but like you I bought it, picked it up, and put it down. So much for an inspiring tale…OK maybe it is inspiring, but it sure isn’t a page turner to start! LOL Thanks for reminding me, maybe I’ll pick it up again, and try. To. Read. It. Pause.

I don’t know girlfriend, it’s hard for me not to get involved into ANY kind of book…I have put very few down. That one I did. You’ll have to let me know if you read it, and I’ll try and get back to you if I do actually manage.
 
I just finished “My life Among the Serial Killers” by a Dr. Helen, uhm uhm (book is upstairs LOL my pregnant butt does not want to climb them!)… anyway she’s a psychiatrist - specially trained in serial killer profiling. I am on a Court TV kick lately and I saw this at the library. VERY INTERESTING theories she has. Actually very simply theories she has. Not your typical progression through abuse, sexual abuse, animal killing, etc etc etc up to multiple murder. She thinks it may be genetic and there is simply pre-disposition. Also that serial killers do not progress psychologically past the infant stage. Like I said – very interesting.

Also been meaning to start a book I bought called “The Courage to be Catholic” that looks pretty good.
 
The Shepherds’ Prayer, by Richard Barry.

This a great book! It’s the story of a young man’ journey to reclaim his identity and it leads him to the manger and to the birth of Jesus.
 
“The Wonder of the World, A Journey from Modern Science to the Mind of God” by Abraham Varghese.

It’s thought provoking, excellent along with “The Science of God” by Schroeder to help one wed science with Christian theology.

Just finished GK Chesterton’s “The Ball and the Cross.”🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top