What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m almost finished with the final Harry Potter novel, and then I plan to read LOTR series. I’m also reading the Compendium of the CCC.
 
THE SPIRITUAL LIFE OF MAR IVANIOS by Dr. Louis Mooleveetil
O.I.C. and
CARDINAL VALERIAN GRACIAS (his life and ministry) by Cardinal Simon Pimenta and
BEYOND THE MOSQUE (Christians within the Muslim community) by Phil Parshall - Baker House - a Protestant author but interesting
 
The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin. A must read and I can’t put it down.
 
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Diary of a Country Priest
Catechism of the Catholic Church
Bible( I think all people here do :D)

I read Orthodoxy by Chesterton…I love it but most of them it made me really concentrate in what I am reading…I think his books are worth reading a second time so that you can understand them better 😃
 
What makes you say that? Do you agree with Dawkins? I would suggest The Confutation of the God Delusion by Malcolm MacLean.
I think Dawkins hold some strong points that are important to consider… He seems to be very concerned with radical religion, as should we all I think… His views on god themselves are quite logical as well, and make sense… I sometimes think he does miss the potential of religion as a whole to make a positive world impact… Other than that, I think he’s very smart, and he proves wonderfully that we should doubt our selfs in order to find validity to many of our beliefs.
 
I’m reading V. 13 of the Yuu Yuu Hakusho manga.

WHY do the volumes come out so infrequently?
 
I am currently reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It’s really good so far. Mind you, I’m only on page fourty something, but it’s a page turner.
Also reading The New Testament. I’m reading a few pages ever night.
The next two books I plan on reading are A Thousand Splendid Sans also by Housseini and The Other Boyelhn Girl (probably misspelled the name).
 
I just started " Three Cups Of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Relin…wonderful book so far.
Kathy
 
I’ve been reading Pride and Prejudice for a friend (I wouldn’t read it otherwise) and I’ve just started reading I, Claudius. Apparently they’re filming it, and it’s going to be released in 2010. I know there’s a BBC series out there that’s supposed to be fantastic, but I want to finish the series before I watch it. I’m also planning on reading Shalimar the Clown (which is by Salman Rushdie) soon, but I don’t know when or if I’ll be able to get my hands on a copy. (I’d be reading that one for a different friend of mine.)
 
I think Dawkins hold some strong points that are important to consider… He seems to be very concerned with radical religion, as should we all I think… His views on god themselves are quite logical as well, and make sense… I sometimes think he does miss the potential of religion as a whole to make a positive world impact… Other than that, I think he’s very smart, and he proves wonderfully that we should doubt our selfs in order to find validity to many of our beliefs.
I wish he didn’t say that the Eucharist was like cannibalism- or so he felt. I think he completely missed the point there. Humanism in and of itself is good, but when it gets to be secular humanism it gets out of hand.
 
I wish he didn’t say that the Eucharist was like cannibalism- or so he felt. I think he completely missed the point there. Humanism in and of itself is good, but when it gets to be secular humanism it gets out of hand.
He’s just being a radical atheist, but you have to understand that Christianity is based on gore… The “Passion of the Christ” is probably the best example here, Mel gibson went well out of the way to make around 250 individual scenes of blood and gore when the simple message of jesus would have sufficed. In that bloody sense, the Eucharist is like cannibalism, not to mention if anything shows secular humanism it would be the “passion of the Christ.”
 
Blue Like Jazz

It’s incredible. Read it if you get the chance!
 
Pillars of the Earth, just entering part 2. Always enjoyed Follett, but had never picked up this one until the daughter said, gotta read this one. Have been told that World Without End is even better, so have the copy here ready to go, just in case I get snowed in, I hope, I hope!
I’d keep it away from young children but World Without End is indeed a great book and better than Pillars of the Earth, also a great book.

(Pillars of the Earth somehow seemed better BEFORE Oprah “discovered” it.)
 
I’ve been reading Pride and Prejudice for a friend (I wouldn’t read it otherwise) and I’ve just started reading I, Claudius. Apparently they’re filming it, and it’s going to be released in 2010. I know there’s a BBC series out there that’s supposed to be fantastic, but I want to finish the series before I watch it. I’m also planning on reading Shalimar the Clown (which is by Salman Rushdie) soon, but I don’t know when or if I’ll be able to get my hands on a copy. (I’d be reading that one for a different friend of mine.)
I loved “I, Claudius” the BBC mini-series when I saw it years ago on PBS (they used to repeat it quite often) with Derek Jacobi in the lead role. I hadn’t heard that there was a new movie in the making. That’s interesting, it should be good.

I read the first book by Robert Graves sometime later (there are two novels, the sequel is “Claudius the God”). It was good but I liked the the TV series better. It was more dramatic, like a Roman soap opera. John Hurt was excellent as the mad Caligula.
 
Aunt Arie, a Foxfire Portrait

Just what it says. This is a compilation of interviews with Aunt Arie, interspersed with friends and relatives musings. Pictures of her homestead and family too.

It’s written in the vernacular, just as she spoke. Wonderful insights and humour. Great read!
If you enjoyed the Foxfire books, you’ll love this.

Also rereading:

Ecology of a Cracker Childhood
by Janisse Ray

This author grew up about 30 miles from here, and tells both her childhood story and the history of the longleaf pine in the south.
Not at all boring, it’s funny and sad, and will def make you think!

There’s more, but I’ll come back with those later.
 
Okay, these I’ve already read, but am doing a reread. They’re THAT good.

Widow of Sighing Pines, Jane Walker
Going to Ground, Simple Life on a Georgia Pond, Amy Blackmarr
River Pilot (and the sequels), William V Reynolds

These are all Georgia authors, with stories based in the southeast GA area. If you like folkish history, southern drawls, ecology insights, and just fun reading, check these out!
 
The Cat who Had 60 Whiskers by Lillian Jackson Braun.
Just finished Love and Friendship, juvenalia by Jane Austen, very cute, really shows how her talent developed and her devastating sense of humor.
My plan for next week is Kristin Lavrensdatter, which I have not read since college, by Sigrid Undsett, but my plans may change. Planned to get to monastery tonite, but it did not happen, my reading if I get there will be the Art of Praying, by Roman Guardinia, in prep for catechist retreat on spirituality and prayer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top