What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Blacklisted by History” by M. Stanton Evans.

The author can be viewed discussing the book on www.booktv.org and sometimes on weekends BookTV repeats it on their program.
 
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Also trying to decide on something by Dickens.
 
I’ve recently started The Once and Future King by T.H. White {a recommendation of someone on this forum}.

But am now wondering whether I should Sir Thomas Malory’s Le Morte d’Arthur instead?
 
I loved “I, Claudius” the BBC mini-series when I saw it years ago on PBS (they used to repeat it quite often) with Derek Jacobi in the lead role. I hadn’t heard that there was a new movie in the making. That’s interesting, it should be good.

I read the first book by Robert Graves sometime later (there are two novels, the sequel is “Claudius the God”). It was good but I liked the the TV series better. It was more dramatic, like a Roman soap opera. John Hurt was excellent as the mad Caligula.
We have the video at our library, but we no longer are able to use our VCR. I’ll just have to wait for it to be on PBS anyway. (I like reading books before watching their adaptations (except with Shakespeare))
 
im reading the diary of saint Maria Faustina Kowalska it is a really hard book 2 read but it is worth it!!🙂 [SIGN]COMPLEX[/SIGN] hey im only 14
 
“The Feast of Faith” - His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI

I have just started, but this appears to be another treasure in the many writings of our great Pope:D .
 
“You Can Be a Saint” by… I don’t remember who. Sorry!
Great book, though! I’m planning on finally reading “Imitation of Christ” after that. Anyone read that one before? Thoughts?
 
Imitation of Christ is an excellent read. My strategy going through it was just to read one or two chapters (they are short) a day, and spend time thinking about it. I am sure I could go back and read the whole book again and get just as much out of it.
 
Miracles by C. S. Lewis, just finished his other book Mere Christianity.
 
Imitation of Christ is an excellent read. My strategy going through it was just to read one or two chapters (they are short) a day, and spend time thinking about it. I am sure I could go back and read the whole book again and get just as much out of it.
I agree on reading it slowly. In fact, maybe one chapter a day, or even one every other day for me. I need time to reflect on them. This is on the table next to my bed, and lately I might pick it up once a week or less. I should go back to reading one chapter every day or two, though.

And as to what I’m reading, it’s finally “Mother Angelica” by Raymond Arroyo.
 
Just finished Term Limits by Vince Flynn.
Currently reading Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn.

I have 6 of his 9 books which I got at a couple used book stores
 
I’ve recently started The Once and Future King by T.H. White {a recommendation of someone on this forum}.

But am now wondering whether I should Sir Thomas Malory’s Le Morte d’Arthur instead?
I’ve read The Once and Future King and liked it - haven’t read Le Morte d’Arthur. If you read both, post which one you liked better!!!🙂
 
Independants Day by Lou Dobbs

Excellent book!

The next one is by John Stossel of “Gimme a Break” on 20/20
 
I just got a new book called THE KINGDOM OF CULTS. i’ll start it after i am done with C.S. Lewis.
 
Im on Book 1 Chapter 11 of "Confessions of St. Agustine, and I’m already loving it!!! I also like to read the different Epistles (spelling?) in the Bible. My fav. so far is 1 John.
 
Just started “Day of Empire: How Hyperpowers Rise To Global Dominance- and Why They Fall” by Yale law professor Amy Chua.
 
Eclipse of the Sun by Michael D. O’Brien. It’s good, but I preferred his Father Elijah and Strangers and Sojourners over the present read. All are well written and thoroughly Catholic. 👍
“Eclipse…” was such a page turner and Catholic to boot! - just out of curiousity, why did you prefer the other two (I haven’t read them yet)? How about others he’s written?

Also reading “Screwtape Letters” by C.S. Lewis (for the umpteenth time)
“Story of A Soul” by St. Therese of Liseiux (again)
“Corinthians” from Navarre Bible Series

Looking the get some light fiction or historical fiction - am in that reading mood. Sounds like I’d like some Phillippa Gregory or mysteries by Ralph McInerny.🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top