What can we do about the shootings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YourNameHere
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it now, your are driving down the road and you have to pull into the government metal detector stations. The highly paid officers, starting pay $12.50) tells everyone to get out of the car. they frisk everyone including all children. then they take your car apart because it made of metal
Talk about an invasion of privacy and liberty - this would be it! That our friend wants a police state is quite clear and it is sad that many in this nation think the same way. “Give up your liberty and you will be safe” they will say. In the end you will have neither of them.
 
Last edited:
The fact is his idea is 100% unworkable. He Metal detector idea is a fantasy there is no metal detector that can seperate woodworking equipment from reloading equipment. They cant separate bullets from soda cans.

But what if metal detectors were in all hotels since 9/11? All walmarts? All gay night clubs? all movie theaters front and back doors? Bowling alleys? Alleys? ice cream shops? Video game stores? Churches? etc etc etc. And you wouldnt even have to make guns illegal.
 
Last edited:
In this case he just keeps arguing for methods of starting a civil war.
This is not strategically wise rhetoric.
The fact is his idea is 100% unworkable. He Metal detector idea is a fantasy there is no metal detector that can seperate woodworking equipment from reloading equipment. They cant separate bullets from soda cans.

But what if metal detectors were in all hotels since 9/11? All walmarts? All gay night clubs? all movie theaters front and back doors? Bowling alleys? Alleys? ice cream shops? Video game stores? Churches? etc etc etc. And you wouldnt even have to make guns illegal.
People who want to outlaw guns need to recognize that the idea is met with the same incredulity as if it were proposed to outlaw making babies.
Legal concepts and practices can be changed. These more and more frequent mass shootings can pave the way to a general uproar. When “enough is enough” will make the support disappear. Of course the proper way would be gradual.

First, raise the prices of ammo. Make ammunition unavailable to non-registered gun owners - as the first step. Make new registration of guns and ownership a hard and expensive process. The nice “trick” of making tobacco more and more expensive was a good tool to help people stop smoking. In a few years tobacco smoking became almost socially unacceptable.

The manual manufacturing of guns is relatively simple, especially with new 3D printing technology. Mass production of ammunition is a different ballgame. Registered hunters and members of weapons clubs could purchase a limited amount of ammo - hopefully at exorbitant prices. Make the renewal process of ammo permit expensive and awkward. No need for amending the constitution.

The aim is to prevent the mass slaughter. I hope you support this idea.
and
The manufacturing and distribution processes are fundamentally different.

You guys seem to overlook the difference. It is not necessary to make a new law against the manufacturing and sale of ammunition. After all there is a legitimate need for the armed forces, and a lesser one, but still legitimate use for hunting and target practice. Those who qualify for legitimate uses, could buy the necessary ammo legally - strictly regulated, in limited quantities. Only the ones who are not legitimate users would be unable to obtain the ammo.

So it would solve all your problems. I hope that such a simple solution will occur to the legislature.
a) You’re reading the populace wrong if you think they’re scared enough to hand the keys to a police state.
b) You’re whole scenario sounds like a great campaign plank for any Democrat who wants to get Donald Trump re-elected. (Not trying to be insulting; just practical.)
 
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

We need this mentality in our country. That’d be a good thing to work towards.
 
I woke up in a good mood this morning. Quite chipper. But my wife has a mild hangover so I needed to take my bonhomie down a little. But what could I possibly do? The sun is shining, we’ve got lots to do today and everyone is walking around with a smile on their face. There’s some kind of party in the park opposite and there’s almost too much joie de vivre around.

I know. I’ll log on to the forum and read a couple of dozen posts on gun control. That will bring my mood down. Never fails. It’s a great antidote to the feeling that everything’s right with the world.

Thanks Petra and the rest of you guys! Who needs depressants when we have threads on gun control!
 
Last edited:
As with most things in America, it is about money.
More fear and hate results more sales of guns and ammo.
 
Brad, like something on television, all you have to do is turn the television off.
If you don’t enjoy reading this thread, don’t read it. 🙂
 
Brad, like something on television, all you have to do is turn the television off.
If you don’t enjoy reading this thread, don’t read it. 🙂
I don’t. I only come here very rarely to feel depressed. Can’t go through life always looking on the bright side!

But I guess I could skip the thread and just call up a picture of Trump grinning like an idiot and actually giving a thumbs up next to an orphaned baby in El Paso.

Although that makes me more bilious than depressed.
 
Last edited:
What can be done to stop the shooting of people around the country?
My first thought was, basically nothing. People have been murdering one another since the time of Cain and Abel. Laws will do nothing until the basic human heart is transformed, and that cannot be done through legislation. The earth is a violent place and will continue to be so until we either all die out or an intervention takes place from “unseen sources”.

However, after all that, the incidence rate of these mass shootings can probably be reduced but it would take several generations given the sheer number of guns that exist in the U.S. Here in Canada, where such violence is not unknown but is extremely rare, gun laws seem to discourage people from wanting to bother acquiring one. I’m 62 and know only a handful of people who own a firearm, none of which are handguns or semi-automatic. My dad, one brother, and my father-in-law, own shotguns for hunting ducks and geese, which they haven’t done in years.

Murders do happen here, but generally only one person at a time, which, while sounding cold and unfeeling, is the preferable option given that anyone predisposed to doing away with someone they don’t like, can always resort to their bare hands or a pair of steel toed boots to carry it out. So weaponry is not an issue where I live, but people have the same mentality both here and the world over.
 
I share your feelings about Trump. The man makes me sick.
He visits Dayton and El Paso to try to lend support as president for the shooting victims. In between time, he lashes out at people through his twitter account. I guess snarky tweets are more fun that trying to console folks who have lost loved ones to gun violence.
 
We here in America are not nearly as smart as you Canadians.
The cycle here is to have hate groups and politicians gin up fear and hate. That leads to gun and ammo sales. Which means big time $$$$ for those who sell guns and ammo. Angry people shoot people in Mass killings. Politicos send out through and prayers. And then we repeat the cycle.
 
Shootings are bad, should be dealt with but in the big picture, I’d not forget that inner city crimes and murder and opioid deaths still seem to be much much higher. Mass shootings grab our attention but actually, these others seem to involve more killings and/or deaths.
 
No to minimize inner city crimes or the opioid problem, but when a hate-filling person drives 600 miles just to shooting a bunch of people, that is a big deal.
Since the best our elected officials can do is “thoughts and prayers,” we can anticipate more and more of these shootings.
 
I just watched a good Youtube video and in it one of the point is made about high gun owner ship is that unlike other countries our military was very small in the early to mid 1800’s. I was expected that, if needed, we could muster a fighting force if needed from the population. I own several guns and have owned them for decades. I dont own any new guns. Most of the people I grew up with own the same guns they owned when we were kids. Yes, kids. I had my first 22 at 8. I have never shot any one either.
 
I didn’t get my own until I was 13. Until that time I simply shot my father’s weapons.
My own son started shooting when he was about 7. And my father passed one of his weapons down to my son.

Neither of us has ever shot anyone either.
 
One thing is certain. None of you even attempted to offer a solution. Well, vz71 did. He said give more weapons to the “good guys”. When I observed that in Dayton it took 30 seconds to take out the attacker and there still were 9 dead and several wounded, neither he nor any one of you reflected on that statement.

Come on. What solution can you offer? The NRA is vehemently against a federal database, so at least we could start to separate the “good guys” from the bad ones. To make sure that the “good guys” could have the ammo for their legitimate uses (hunting and target practice) but the bad one will have no legitimate access to ammo.

To make sure that any transfer of weapons can be tracked, to prohibit the unlicensed transfer of weapons. All you can say that it is impossible, and the only the “good guys” will be hindered, and the bad ones will have their weapons. Throwing up your hands in the air and whine: “impossible”!

You have no solution. That is what it boils down to. And don’t even try to help to make a solution.
 
Last edited:
This is a forum, don’t expect actual results.
We might be unable to put the thoughts into reality, that is true. Here all we can do is discuss ideas. And none of you could even suggest a solution. (Except vz71 whose idea was: “Arm everyone!!!”.)

But the fact is, neither the NRA, nor the Republican members of Congress even WANT to offer a solution.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top