What can we do about the shootings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YourNameHere
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring back Judeo-Christian culture, including prayer in schools.
Which prayer? For example, I wouldn’t want my kids reciting any prayer that’s not Catholic. E.g., they shouldn’t add “for thine is the kingdom. . .” to the Our Father.
It’s the same reaction I give when people say we should put the Bible back in schools. Which Bible? I don’t want my kids learning the KJV or any Bible that’s not explicitly approved for Catholics.
 
Federal Reconstruction is associated with hanging priests? This is news to me. Which state, or is there a search term or link, so that I can learn more?
It’s pretty obscure and my source was a very old book about the Missouri Brigade, to which I no longer have access. But there were hangings. The cause was the “Ironclad Oath” which was required of any person wishing to practice a profession, including the clergy. The following article does not speak of hangings specifically, but it does talk about imprisonment of Catholic priests and sisters for practicing their religion.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14538a.htm
 
I believed they prayed the Our Father. I see your point but I think it was a very “generic prayer.”
We have removed God from the public square in general.
However, the generation during the 60, 70’s and early 80’s wanted a culture where one could have sex with
whomever, however, and whenever without consequences(and get rid of the possible results), and wanted to get rid of regulations
restraining entertainment. (I remember when the music industry had a cow when Then Senator Al and
Tipper Gore wanted to put parental warning labels on record albums in the late 80’s.)
Movies, TV and some video games glorify violence and killing.
 
Last edited:
I can’t disagree.
I don’t know if it would do much about the shootings, but I can’t disagree.
 
Lord, I pray for the news media:
that they realize that their lurid coverage inspires
copycat attacks. Help them think about ethics,
not ratings.
 
Well, it wouldn’t be able to be implemented these days. We live in a post Christian society, and it will stay that way.
Look at all the hate Christians get just for saying marriage is a man and a woman and
opposing abortion.
And yes, mental illness and things like domestic violence have always existed, but I’m just pointing out
why these things did not happen 50-60 years ago.
 
40.png
Nihilo:
Federal Reconstruction is associated with hanging priests? This is news to me. Which state, or is there a search term or link, so that I can learn more?
It’s pretty obscure and my source was a very old book about the Missouri Brigade, to which I no longer have access. But there were hangings. The cause was the “Ironclad Oath” which was required of any person wishing to practice a profession, including the clergy. The following article does not speak of hangings specifically, but it does talk about imprisonment of Catholic priests and sisters for practicing their religion.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14538a.htm
OK, having read the link that looks like Missouri who was guilty here and not the federal government, in fact the federal Supreme Court ruled this ‘oath’ Unconstitutional. iow, it doesn’t sound like it was due to federal Reconstruction. I could be misreading it though.
 
We have chaos because people have made gods out of personal autonomy and exercise of passions.
These sins breed chaos. Sin breeds death. What we are seeing is the bad fruit of the culture of absolute license.

And I would be willing to lay much of the blame on the release of sexual passion due to pornography. Our culture has made a god out of sexuality. And no sin exists in isolation. If a person becomes predisposed to pursuing passions in one area he/she will lose control of his/her life in all areas and be destroyed. These shooters are people who have been destroyed by indulging the toxic swill our culture offers.
This is such a good, wise, insightful post. Thank you for such a clear and correct analysis here on CAF.

I agree with everything you say, and I think the answer to the OP’s question is that we need to be diligent to stay close to God and His Church, to mind our own souls, and ask God to help us do what we need to do to become saints.
 
OK, having read the link that looks like Missouri who was guilty here and not the federal government, in fact the federal Supreme Court ruled this ‘oath’ Unconstitutional. iow, it doesn’t sound like it was due to federal Reconstruction. I could be misreading it though.
The state was and it wasn’t. Missouri was under occupation and former rebels were disenfranchised. So radical Republicans took over the government and the courts, just as the Union army had driven out the legislature and replaced it at the beginning of the war. So the judges and grand juries were, indeed, Missourians, but they were “Reconstruction Missourians”, Unionists who had disenfranchised everyone else.

It is true that the Supreme Court ruled the Ironclad oath unconstitutional. But the Ironclad Oath was most definitely not peculiar to Missouri. Former Confederates were disenfranchised all over the South. The federal government imposed it on all of the Confederate States. While Missouri and Kentucky were not recognized by the Union as having seceded, they did pass Articles of Secession and underwent Reconstruction. If anything, Reconstruction was worse in Missouri than anywhere else.
 
We could try returning to Christianity and a respect for all life.

When you pick and choose which lives deserve protection, and decide that all morality is relative, bad things will happen.
 
Yes-this is what I was trying to say!
I doubt the genie can be put back in the bottle, though.
 
Last edited:
What can be done to stop the shooting of people around the country?

2 Professors (one is a psychologist & the other a sociologist) wrote this piece based on their research on all mass shootings since 1966 which killed at least 4 people or more. They’ve p(name removed by moderator)ointed 4 things the vast majority of these terrorists all had in common & offer sound ideas on how to prevent more. Worth a read.
 
We’ve always had gun ownership in this country-- a lot of gun ownership. But we didn’t always have mass shootings. It’s a rather recent phenomenon. So what’s different now? What changed? This is the question the media isn’t asking. They just immediately go to gun control. But that in no way gets to the cause of these shootings.

So what’s the answer as to why these shootings are happening? I think the answer to the question is quite simple…people are different. We live in a society that has gradually over time eliminated the safety nets that prevented crazy people from acting out with such extreme violence, or prevented them from getting crazy violent in the first place.

The first safety net was stable families. Our society has pretty much done everything it can to damage family life. Many of these shooters come from horrible family situations. They didn’t learn right from wrong. They suffered serious physical and/or mental abuse, traumatizing them for life. They were left to fend for themselves as kids. They raised themselves with all kinds of bad influences that desensitized them to the plight of others. They never learned empathy or compassion. They witnessed thousands of acts of extreme violence in movies, TV, video games, etc., with no parent around to limit their exposure or at least talk it through. The value of life was gradually diminished for them.

Even with all this exposure, most people can still manage to keep it together. But there is a small subset group of individuals who cannot, and with their safety net gone, they become more and more likely to act out in extreme violence.

Another safety net that has largely deteriorated is religion. Fewer and fewer people have a religion to fall back on that teaches them right from wrong, that teaches them the value of life and how to put others before yourself. Yes, some people are radicalized by their religion to commit violent acts, but that is not the case with most of these perpetrators in the U.S. So there is another safety net gone.

So couple the gradual removal of safety nets with unlimited exposure and glorification of violence to young men without parents around to intervene, and for a few susceptible individuals this is the recipe for creating a monster.

So what’s the solution? Whereas I think the cause is fairly simple, the solution is unfortunately complex. Our families are a mess. We have to make family life and good parenting a bigger priority in this country. Rampant divorce, no one at home with the kids, too much leeway for the kids to expose themselves to every bad influence–all these things add up not for the good mental health of children. I think family is the key, but I don’t have much faith that our society will recognize this and reverse the trend.
 
Last edited:
Good article. It doesn’t present a complete diagnosis or a whole solution, but it’s a good start.
 
A Parable

There was a resourceful and capable man who watched the evening news and saw much violence. He asked himself, “What shall I do to keep myself safe in this world of violence?”

And he answered, "This is what I shall do. I shall obtain a license and purchase a gun, and train myself in its use, and carry it with me in public. And I shall say to myself, ‘Now your security is assured. Go about your business in town without fear.’ "

But the Founding Fathers said “You fool. Possession of a gun does nothing for your security. Rather it is through cooperation with and service to others that you build trust and security. For united we stood, yet divided you fall.”
 
Last edited:
What can be done to stop the shooting of people around the country?
The recent shootings in El Paso and Dayton were horrendous.
The El Paso shooter seemed to leave a manifesto of hate for Hispanics.
Why do some people seem to feel the need to resort to violence?
Hate seems to be rampant all over this country.
Are there any answers to be had, or do we just pray for the victims and wait for the next shooting to occur?
There should be sweeping reforms in gun control that include the prohibition of handguns.
 
Last edited:
We already have background checks and waiting periods. No other constitutional right is subjected to such things.
 
We already have background checks and waiting periods. No other constitutional right is subjected to such things.
No other constitutional right contains the words " well-regulated."
 
40.png
Thorolfr:
If toxic culture is the main cause for mass shootings in the US, can we conclude that European culture is far superior to American culture since they don’t have all these mass shootings?
It’s not peculiar to the U.S. Britain has very restrictive gun laws and two knife murders per week.
Adjusted for population size, that would be about 330/year here.
Knife murder as part of 1 on 1 crime is not the same as a mass killing.

Knife crime is concentrated in low income/gang affiliated areas, we have not yet progressed to people entering a school and stabbing multiple children or stabbing multiple people in the local Tesco supermarket.

The psyche of someone getting into an altercation as part of a drug deal or rival gang violence is very different to someone deliberately picking a crowded place and attempting to kill and maim as many people as possible.
 
What can we do about gun violence? We can get our act together as a society and reform ourselves.

“What’s wrong with the world? I am.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top