What can we do about the shootings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YourNameHere
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, let’s say all that happens (even though much of your desires already exist in one form or another). Will that be your final request for any more new gun laws? Will you stand up and say that we finally have all the gun legislation that is needed and we cannot place any more restrictions on a constitutional right?
I personally would not go further. I would turn all attention then to enforcement of the laws and stiff penalties for individuals, dealers and manufactures that break the laws… with penalties at least as strong as those for drug offenders.

I would also focus on education programs for gun owners and create incentives for gun owners to take those classes like discounts on firearms and ammunition for attaining certifications.
 
Logical no, but it would never pass legal scrutiny. Even Great Britain hasn’t been able to achieve that.
Legal concepts and practices can be changed. These more and more frequent mass shootings can pave the way to a general uproar. When “enough is enough” will make the support disappear. Of course the proper way would be gradual.

First, raise the prices of ammo. Make ammunition unavailable to non-registered gun owners - as the first step. Make new registration of guns and ownership a hard and expensive process. The nice “trick” of making tobacco more and more expensive was a good tool to help people stop smoking. In a few years tobacco smoking became almost socially unacceptable.

The manual manufacturing of guns is relatively simple, especially with new 3D printing technology. Mass production of ammunition is a different ballgame. Registered hunters and members of weapons clubs could purchase a limited amount of ammo - hopefully at exorbitant prices. Make the renewal process of ammo permit expensive and awkward. No need for amending the constitution.

The aim is to prevent the mass slaughter. I hope you support this idea.
 
I would also focus on education programs for gun owners and create incentives for gun owners to take those classes like discounts on firearms and ammunition for attaining certifications.
I’ve wondered about this for some time. Maybe a course over a longer period, like 12 weeks, meeting for a couple hours each week, led by an instructor who has psychological training. Over a longer period of time people tend to express themselves more openly, and it might allow an expert to notice someone who isn’t balanced. Maybe include things like conflict resolution as part of the training.

I personally believe every man 18 and older should be trained and proficient with firearms, but that training and proficiency should be increase far more than it is now.
 
a legitimate need for a concealed carry license.
The legitimate need for concealed carry is self-defense. Everyone has the right to it. Otherwise you get situations like New Jersey where only the rich and politically connected get to defend themselves, while all those gross plebeians just have to die.

 
So owning a bazooka, or an M1-Arams tank is a fundamental human right?
I think you can own a bazooka if you get a permit and pay a hefty tax. I don’t know of any law that would prevent you owning an Abrams, but likely the manufacturer has an exclusive agreement with the government.
 
Where is anyone claiming that all 120,000 is due to mental illness. But of the mass shootings how many of the shooters were known to have mental illness as a factor?

But again NOTHING and I mean 100% of any doable idea will stop mass shooting in the usa. You can not under any circumstance prevent mass shooting.

Stop pretending this can be stopped by creating another law that wont do a thing to prevent them.

So I challenge you and others to PROVE that in the USA you can stop or even lower them by 50%?
 
They do not happen at near the rate in other parts of the world. It did not happen in the US nearly as often 25 years ago. Why must it continue unabated?
 
So I challenge you and others to PROVE that in the USA you can stop or even lower them by 50%?
The solution is easy. I presented it above. No mass shootings can happen if there is no ammo. 😉
 
Last edited:
The solution is easy. I presented it above. No mass shootings can happen if there is no ammo
The illegal market will continue to provide all the ammo needed, especially to the criminal element. Just like heroin and meth are available in great quantities despite being totally illegal, ammo will also be available in any quantity needed.
 
It’s not the right of ownership, it is the right to the freedom of ownership he is espousing. What you said means we’d have to buy everyone a tank or bazooka. What he said is that anyone is free to own a tank. Grammar matters, particularly in philosophy and law.
 
But that is not going to happen. Youre solution isnt even close to being sensible or reasonable. Nor would it be 'easy". There are millions and millions and million of cartridge blanks in the USA.

Just as drug law dont stop the manufacturing of illegal drugs. A law ending the legal manufacturing of ammo wont stop it from being made.
 
Ok, rather pendantic, but I accept your criticism. I do not thing that is the sticking point between us or the reason he hasn’t answered.
 
Doesn’t the word ‘amendment’ mean something? And there have been amendments added to either cancel others or ‘amend’ them. There is something which can be done but it won’t be. I’d the US really think that they are protected from the government with their guns so be it - not sure I’d take my chances against tanks and missiles with a gun but there we go.
 
I will contend that changing the constitution won’t remove 300 million guns from people anyway, not that she advocates it anyhow.
 
Probably not. Though I doubt he’s actively avoiding doing so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top