What Can You Say Anymore?

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

A Charlottetown Bible college’s attempt to advertise a lecture series has been derailed by CBC’s objections to the speaker’s Christian emphasis.

Maritime Christian College contacted local sales staff in order to buy some TV time to promote a week of talks by Gregory Delort, professor at Manhattan Christian College in Kansas, on the subject of the family. The talks took place during the last week of January. The school put together a simple ad with a voiceover while animated phrases like “hockey dad,” “addiction” and "til death do us part?’ drift across the screen.

MCC president Fred Osbourne said he was told by CBC Charlottetown that the ad should be no problem. But he said that proved not to be the case.

A caller from CBC headquarters told Osbourne that the commercial would not be run because it violated their standards.

“I was talking about it with somebody in Toronto and they couldn’t really tell me why the ad wasn’t acceptable, they just pointed me to a website with a copy of their standards,” he said Thursday.

“The part they were talking about deals with religious organizations and proselytizing. But really proselytizing just means teaching.”

The script for Osbourne’s ad contains little in the way of Gospel message, just references to “hope for the home.” He said they deliberately avoided references to potentially controversial topics like homosexuality or divorce.

But the ad was enough to persuade CBC that there was some preaching going on.

Ruth-Ellen Soles, the broadcaster’s Toronto-based head of communications, said CBC has had a policy since the 1930s that has kept it from accepting proselytization from religions of any stripe. “One of the words that flashes by is the word ‘faith.’ Then there’s the name Maritime Christian College and their website address,” Soles said.

“If you look at the website and the speaker it is pretty clear that his message is that of a Christian-based, family-values person.”

cbcwatch.ca/?q=node/view/858

HagiaSophia said:
“If you look at the website and the speaker it is pretty clear that his message is that of a Christian-based, family-values person.”

Well, gee, think that might be because it’s a guy from a Christian college going to speak at a Christian college? I thought CBC was better than this. Guess not.

40.png
Almeria:
Well, gee, think that might be because it’s a guy from a Christian college going to speak at a Christian college? I thought CBC was better than this. Guess not.
When it comes to things that promote sexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, promiscuity, single-parenthood, etc., they demand tolerance.

When it comes to Christianity, however, intolerance is okay.

It’s a shame.

40.png
Jay74:
When it comes to things that promote sexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, promiscuity, single-parenthood, etc., they demand tolerance.

When it comes to Christianity, however, intolerance is okay.

It’s a shame.
Nonsense on stilts see-

ucc.org/news/u113004a.htm

CBS, NBC refuse to air church’s television advertisement

**United Church of Christ ad highlighting Jesus’ extravagant welcome called ‘too controversial’
By J. Bennett Guess
United Church News

Nov. 30, 2004

CLEVELAND – The CBS and NBC television networks are refusing to run a 30-second television ad from the United Church of Christ because its all-inclusive welcome has been deemed “too controversial.”
The ad, part of the denomination’s new, broad identity campaign set to begin airing nationwide on Dec. 1, states that – like Jesus – the United Church of Christ seeks to welcome all people, regardless of ability, age, race, economic circumstance or sexual orientation.

According to a written explanation from CBS, the United Church of Christ is being denied network access because its ad implies acceptance of gay and lesbian couples – among other minority constituencies – and is, therefore, too “controversial.”

“Because this commercial touches on the exclusion of gay couples and other minority groups by other individuals and organizations,” reads an explanation from CBS, “and the fact the Executive Branch has recently proposed a Constitutional Amendment to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman, this spot is unacceptable for broadcast on the [CBS and UPN] networks.”

Similarly, a rejection by NBC declared the spot “too controversial.”

“It’s ironic that after a political season awash in commercials based on fear and deception by both parties seen on all the major networks, an ad with a message of welcome and inclusion would be deemed too controversial,” says the Rev. John H. Thomas, the UCC’s general minister and president. “What’s going on here?”

Negotiations between network officials and the church’s representatives broke down today (Nov. 30), on the day before the ad campaign was set to begin airing nationwide on a combination of broadcast and cable networks. The ad has been accepted and will air on a number of networks, including ABC Family, AMC, BET, Discovery, Fox, Hallmark, History, Nick@Nite, TBS, TNT, Travel and TV Land, among others.

The debut 30-second commercial features two muscle-bound “bouncers” standing guard outside a symbolic, picturesque church and selecting which persons are permitted to attend Sunday services. Written text interrupts the scene, announcing, “Jesus didn’t turn people away. Neither do we.” A narrator then proclaims the United Church of Christ’s commitment to Jesus’ extravagant welcome: “No matter who you are, or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here.” (The ad can be viewed online at www.stillspeaking.com.)

In focus groups and test market research conducted before the campaign’s national rollout, the UCC found that many people throughout the country feel alienated by churches. The television ad is geared toward those persons who, for whatever reason, have not felt welcomed or comfortable in a church.

“We find it disturbing that the networks in question seem to have no problem exploiting gay persons through mindless comedies or titillating dramas, but when it comes to a church’s loving welcome of committed gay couples, that’s where they draw the line,” says the Rev. Robert Chase, director of the UCC’s communication ministry.

40.png
gilliam:
So, was that a Catholic Church in the background?
Of course not. The point as you well know is that self image of a persecuted minority you on the religious right have while society supposedly celebrates your foes is just not true. If adverts promoting tolerance are forbidden as too “controversial” just how liberal is the liberal media you whine so much about?

40.png
Matt25:
Of course not. The point as you well know is that self image of a persecuted minority you on the religious right have while society supposedly celebrates your foes is just not true. If adverts promoting tolerance are forbidden as too “controversial” just how liberal is the liberal media you whine so much about?
What do you mean ‘of course not’?? Do you know, or are you assuming the UCC would never do such a thing. It sure looked like ti could have been a Catholic church to me. The point of the piece is “we are better then they are, so try us out” Well, who do you think they are? Well, I’ll they you: WE ARE THE THEY THE UCC IS TALKING ABOUT! The UCC is making fun of a number of churches in this commercial, including the Roman Catholic Church. Primarily because we don’t welcome practicing homosexuals.

And you seem to think this is not a controversial commercial?

40.png
gilliam:
What do you mean ‘of course not’?? Do you know, or are you assuming the UCC would never do such a thing. It sure looked like ti could have been a Catholic church to me. The point of the piece is “we are better then they are, so try us out” Well, who do you think they are? Well, I’ll they you: WE ARE THE THEY THE UCC IS TALKING ABOUT! The UCC is making fun of a number of churches in this commercial, including the Roman Catholic Church. Primarily because we don’t welcome practicing homosexuals.

And you seem to think this is not a controversial commercial?
I did not suggest it was not controversial. I suggested it is not just right wing Christians who have problems with the corporate media. Unless you think it ok to censor your opponents but wrong to censor you because, well shucks you are right and they are wrong.

40.png
Matt25:
I did not suggest it was not controversial. I suggested it is not just right wing Christians who have problems with the corporate media. .
Oh, OK, nevermind…

But, yes, I would have objected to the commercial airing, and would have petitioned the UCC to stop airing it.

Not sure what I would have done if I was a network exec. I probably would not have aired it. Too much in the genre of ‘hate speach’.

40.png
Matt25:
I did not suggest it was not controversial. I suggested it is not just right wing Christians who have problems with the corporate media. Unless you think it ok to censor your opponents but wrong to censor you because, well shucks you are right and they are wrong.
Perhaps because in this country it has been the tradition and part of our cultural experience to celebrate faiths not to mock with them commercials; because certain value judgments were made as to what the general morality and standards for living were and were to be promoted - now I realize that to those to whom every idea is equal, every opinion a “truth”, and the feeling that no matter how bad a thing is one must and ought to give it space in ones experience may not get it.

40.png
Matt25:
Nonsense on stilts see-

ucc.org/news/u113004a.htm

CBS, NBC refuse to air church’s television advertisement

United Church of Christ ad highlighting Jesus’ extravagant welcome called 'too controversial’

By J. Bennett Guess
United Church News

Nov. 30, 2004

CLEVELAND – The CBS and NBC television networks are refusing to run a 30-second television ad from the United Church of Christ because its all-inclusive welcome has been deemed “too controversial.”
The ad, part of the denomination’s new, broad identity campaign set to begin airing nationwide on Dec. 1, states that – like Jesus – the United Church of Christ seeks to welcome all people, regardless of ability, age, race, economic circumstance or sexual orientation.

According to a written explanation from CBS, the United Church of Christ is being denied network access because its ad implies acceptance of gay and lesbian couples – among other minority constituencies – and is, therefore, too “controversial.”

“Because this commercial touches on the exclusion of gay couples and other minority groups by other individuals and organizations,” reads an explanation from CBS, “and the fact the Executive Branch has recently proposed a Constitutional Amendment to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman, this spot is unacceptable for broadcast on the [CBS and UPN] networks.”

Similarly, a rejection by NBC declared the spot “too controversial.”

“It’s ironic that after a political season awash in commercials based on fear and deception by both parties seen on all the major networks, an ad with a message of welcome and inclusion would be deemed too controversial,” says the Rev. John H. Thomas, the UCC’s general minister and president. “What’s going on here?”

Negotiations between network officials and the church’s representatives broke down today (Nov. 30), on the day before the ad campaign was set to begin airing nationwide on a combination of broadcast and cable networks. The ad has been accepted and will air on a number of networks, including ABC Family, AMC, BET, Discovery, Fox, Hallmark, History, Nick@Nite, TBS, TNT, Travel and TV Land, among others.

The debut 30-second commercial features two muscle-bound “bouncers” standing guard outside a symbolic, picturesque church and selecting which persons are permitted to attend Sunday services. Written text interrupts the scene, announcing, “Jesus didn’t turn people away. Neither do we.” A narrator then proclaims the United Church of Christ’s commitment to Jesus’ extravagant welcome: “No matter who you are, or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here.” (The ad can be viewed online at www.stillspeaking.com.)

In focus groups and test market research conducted before the campaign’s national rollout, the UCC found that many people throughout the country feel alienated by churches. The television ad is geared toward those persons who, for whatever reason, have not felt welcomed or comfortable in a church.

“We find it disturbing that the networks in question seem to have no problem exploiting gay persons through mindless comedies or titillating dramas, but when it comes to a church’s loving welcome of committed gay couples, that’s where they draw the line,” says the Rev. Robert Chase, director of the UCC’s communication ministry.
Uhm, not nonsense on stilts. It actually makes my point.

You mentioned “right wing” in another post below this one. Where in my post about intolerance towards christianity did I say right wing??? There is a great deal of intolerance towards christianity in general.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Perhaps because in this country it has been the tradition and part of our cultural experience to celebrate faiths not to mock with them commercials; because certain value judgments were made as to what the general morality and standards for living were and were to be promoted - now I realize that to those to whom every idea is equal, every opinion a “truth”, and the feeling that no matter how bad a thing is one must and ought to give it space in ones experience may not get it.
Every idea is not equal before God. Outside of a theocracy however freedom of association, freedom of expression and freedom of religion are equal rights for all citizens. Equality before the law allows Catholics to be free and also non-Catholics and even anti-Catholics. I am happy to defend my faith against its opponents, I am not happy to see those opponents banned, censored or imprisoned just for being wrong.

What you are advocating comes under the heading of religious tyranny. Perhaps you believe that the US Constitution or the Universal Declaration of Human Rights are somehow contrary to revealed truth.

40.png
Matt25:
What you are advocating comes under the heading of religious tyranny. Perhaps you believe that the US Constitution or the Universal Declaration of Human Rights are somehow contrary to revealed truth.
I do not wish to be unkind , nor demeaning to you in any way - but with all candor, after reading the above, I have come to the conclusion that not only don’t you understand what you are talking about a great deal of the time, you certainly don’t get what I am saying either. Just fahgedaboutit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back