C
Crumpy
Guest
I’m surprised that no one else has started a thread on this program which ran 1/9/2011 on EWTN.
The one-hour program had been “edited for television” – it said during the introduction. No doubt that it was, because it was very fast paced. I had to record the program when it was re-run, to reinforce a couple new points I picked up in the program.
It was a good program based on traditional Catholic scholarship. But, the wording of a couple points rankled me bit.
One of the speakers was talking about the first five books of the Bible and referred to it as the Torah, meaning “the law.” Well, from my reading of Jewish Bible commentaries, the Jews point out that is a mistranslation; torah means “instruction.” Well, in some of these same Jewish commentaries, they ALSO refer to Torah as “the law.” It’s just a bit of a rough edge, making a point about this word. I’m sure that there is a deeper level to this particular subject, into which I will not descend at this time.
The most interesting part to me was about what Martin Luther did with the Bible, removing seven books that he apparently didn’t agree with. His rationale was that those books were, in his day, only based on the Greek Septuagint version of the Hebrew Bible. He said he agreed with the rabbis that the only “canonical” or approved books were those that were written in Hebrew.
Well that argument “sailed” for better than 400 years, and the Catholic Church stuck to its position of the canonicity of the Septuagint version of the Bible.
This old disagreement came alive in the late 1940’s with the discoveries of the Dead Sea Scrolls at Qumran. first, this finding was remarkable, because they were the oldest versions of the Hebrew books of the Bible. But, even more interesting, they contained the disputed “apocryphal” (hidden) books – IN HEBREW. Duh. These books, which the Catholic Church accepted, WERE written in Hebrew. Hey, take that, Marty.
There were three scheduled airings of this program, but I bet it will come around again.
You can get a DVD copy, if you are interested, at www.matthewarnold.org (or .com, whatever).
( I was just looing up the internet to see if I could validate this point about the “appocryphal” books being in Hebrew. I did. But, the bias of the internet entry was that the Dead Sea Scrolls contained “the apocrypha.” Well, they weren’t called apocrypha back then, so there is no reason to believe that they were not considered canonical or approved to the Jewish sect of Essenes who produced these. On the other hand, those scrolls included some books that nobody today consdiers inspired. So, the controversy rages on, I guess)
The one-hour program had been “edited for television” – it said during the introduction. No doubt that it was, because it was very fast paced. I had to record the program when it was re-run, to reinforce a couple new points I picked up in the program.
It was a good program based on traditional Catholic scholarship. But, the wording of a couple points rankled me bit.
One of the speakers was talking about the first five books of the Bible and referred to it as the Torah, meaning “the law.” Well, from my reading of Jewish Bible commentaries, the Jews point out that is a mistranslation; torah means “instruction.” Well, in some of these same Jewish commentaries, they ALSO refer to Torah as “the law.” It’s just a bit of a rough edge, making a point about this word. I’m sure that there is a deeper level to this particular subject, into which I will not descend at this time.
The most interesting part to me was about what Martin Luther did with the Bible, removing seven books that he apparently didn’t agree with. His rationale was that those books were, in his day, only based on the Greek Septuagint version of the Hebrew Bible. He said he agreed with the rabbis that the only “canonical” or approved books were those that were written in Hebrew.
Well that argument “sailed” for better than 400 years, and the Catholic Church stuck to its position of the canonicity of the Septuagint version of the Bible.
This old disagreement came alive in the late 1940’s with the discoveries of the Dead Sea Scrolls at Qumran. first, this finding was remarkable, because they were the oldest versions of the Hebrew books of the Bible. But, even more interesting, they contained the disputed “apocryphal” (hidden) books – IN HEBREW. Duh. These books, which the Catholic Church accepted, WERE written in Hebrew. Hey, take that, Marty.
There were three scheduled airings of this program, but I bet it will come around again.
You can get a DVD copy, if you are interested, at www.matthewarnold.org (or .com, whatever).
( I was just looing up the internet to see if I could validate this point about the “appocryphal” books being in Hebrew. I did. But, the bias of the internet entry was that the Dead Sea Scrolls contained “the apocrypha.” Well, they weren’t called apocrypha back then, so there is no reason to believe that they were not considered canonical or approved to the Jewish sect of Essenes who produced these. On the other hand, those scrolls included some books that nobody today consdiers inspired. So, the controversy rages on, I guess)