What constitutes a vow to God?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Butaperson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Butaperson

Guest
I’m super confused on the issue of oaths to God. An oath is different than a resolution, correct? For example, if I’m praying, and I say to God “Alright God, I’m going to try a lot harder to pray more” and then I don’t really do it…obviously it’s still the sin of sloth, but have I just layered another sin on top of it because I didn’t do what I said I would do, or is it just a normal old sin of sloth? Do you know what I mean?
 
I’m super confused on the issue of oaths to God. An oath is different than a resolution, correct? For example, if I’m praying, and I say to God “Alright God, I’m going to try a lot harder to pray more” and then I don’t really do it…obviously it’s still the sin of sloth, but have I just layered another sin on top of it because I didn’t do what I said I would do, or is it just a normal old sin of sloth? Do you know what I mean?
An oath is an invocation to God to witness the truth of a statement. What you ask about is not an oath.

A vow is defined as a promise made to God, and a promise is binding. It is different from a simple resolution which is a present purpose to do or omit certain things in the future.

You ask if it is sinful to pray that you will “try a lot harder” in a general way, and then fail. It seems to be a resolution that you ask about, because a vow, presupposes the full consent of the will. One does not give that unless one knows fully what one is doing. I think only you can answer that question of consent, and based on that you can decide if it was a sin.
 
Doesnt sound like you promised. You were just talking to God.

You didnt say; "God i promise/ vow to… " “for… length of time, forever, or every day/ week”.

A vow to God is binding, even private vow made on your owb, unless you mention it in confession and ask the priest to dispense you completely from the vow. And you no longer are bound by that promise.

A “deliberately” broken vow is a sin.

Eg a vow for celibacy. Or to say certain number of prayers daily,

God holds us to our promises.

So if a person made a private vow eg on their own at home, its binding, unless they ask a priest to give dispensation from that vow in confession confession, and God will hold them to that vow at their judgement

I researched teaching of this.
Even a priest in confession told me that priests can dispense vows in confession if you ask for dispensation from named vows.

Deliberate Individual private vows are binding otherwise until this
An oath is an invocation to God to witness the truth of a statement. What you ask about is not an oath.

A vow is defined as a promise made to God, and a promise is binding. It is different from a simple resolution which is a present purpose to do or omit certain things in the future.

You ask if it is sinful to pray that you will “try a lot harder” in a general way, and then fail. It seems to be a resolution that you ask about, because a vow, presupposes the full consent of the will. One does not give that unless one knows fully what one is doing. I think only you can answer that question of consent, and based on that you can decide if it was a sin.
 
A vow must have 2 WITNESSES, if you vowed to God
in front of 2+ witnesses, then you are bound by the oath,
unless you are released from the oath by someone
qualified, like a dad or if you are a woman, your
husband, or even God himself.
 
Hi Glam8833

Hey friend in Christ,

Could you please provide church teaching and from the Catechism that three witnesses are needed to make a vow? Hope you don’t mind,

I’m open for correction on this,
But I believe current church teaching is that any vow made deliberately, privately on your own even in your head is binding. Unless you tell the priest the vow and ask for release from the vow.

Theres something in the catechism on this.

I had to ask a priest for permanent release from private vows in confession myself,
I have read up on this somewhat and have experience of this somewhat

If I am wrong i am open to your quoting of church teaching and catechism

Just trying to help the OP!
A vow must have 2 WITNESSES, if you vowed to God
in front of 2+ witnesses, then you are bound by the oath,
unless you are released from the oath by someone
qualified, like a dad or if you are a woman, your
husband, or even God himself.
 
Examples can be found in Scripture(Deut. 19:15 and other passages)
I like the idea of having a priest cancel a vow made in public.
 
Examples can be found in Scripture(Deut. 19:15 and other passages)
I like the idea of having a priest cancel a vow made in public.
Yep, it is in scripture you are right. It seems you are refering to public vows, like to tell the truth in court, or offered to the church: vows of a nun, marriage, priest, etc

It appears I am right about the other type of vow; private vows (which a layperson can make in their mind on their own)

Here are some quotes from the catholic catechism and catholic canon law;

The Church Canon Laws, in certain cases and for proportionate reasons, dispense from vows and promises [Cf. CIC, cann. 692; 1196-1197]"

Q. 2. The above references appears to refer to those who make religious vows. What about a lay person who made a private vow? What if I made a private vow and I no longer wish to uphold that vow? What do I do?

A. 2. Many, with all good intent, when they are young and zealous, they make a vow to God with the intention of keeping it for life. Not having consulted a spiritual director prior to making such a vow, they do not realize that a vow for life is a long time. Also, those who make private vows often walk a lonely spiritual life without the support that religious vocations find in Dioceses or religious Orders.

Such vows or promises may consist of a vow to remain celibate for life, a promise to be a missionary for life, a promise to pray the Rosary on a daily basis throughout one’s life, a promise to never commit a certain sin, etc…

Knowing that many individual do make private vows and that some may want to be dispensed from such a vow during their lives, the Church covers this matter in the Canon Laws where it states:

Canon Law # 692 “An indult to leave the institute, which is lawfully granted and notified to the member, by virtue of the law itself carries with it, unless it has been rejected by the member in the act of notification, a dispensation from the vows and from all obligations arising from profession.”"

Canon Law # 1196 “Besides the Roman Pontiff, the following can dispense from private vows, provided the dispensation does not injure the acquired rights of others;”

1° “the local Ordinary and the parish priest, in respect of all their own subjects and also of peregrini;”

(Note: “peregrini” means "travellers.)

2° "the Superior of a religious institute or of a society of apostolic life, if these are clerical and of pontifical right, in respect of members, novices and those who reside day and night in a house of the institute or society;

3° “those to whom the faculty of dispensing has been delegated by the Apostolic See or by the local Ordinary.”

Canon Law # 1197 “What has been promised by private vow can be commuted into something better or equally good by the person who made the vow. It can be commuted into something less good by one who has authority to dispense in accordance with Canon Law # 1196.”

(In simple English, # 1197 means "The person who makes a private vow can commute the work promised by the vow into a better or equal good; however, one who has the power of dispensing according to the norm of ? can. 1196 can commute it into a lesser good.)

To answer your question, private vows that are not associated with a Diocese or a religious Order, falls under the juridisction of the parish priest (see # 1196. 1° above). In order to have your private vow or promise replaced by something else of equal good or of a lesser good, please consult your local priest.

Lives of the saints show personal private vows are binding too;

Original poster made a resolution -which is not binding, and not a vow.
 
Thanx, OurLadysServant
Your post is VERY informative and thorough,
GBY
 
Okay, I know someone at our church who is suffering from cancer. I decided to offer up a bad habit (shopping online for guitars–I rarely buy, but I’m a musician and I like to look at guitars and it can be a real time-wasting habit for me). I gave up the habit for Lent (mostly successfully) and decided to give up the habit again for the month of April and offer it up for our friend when I heard she had taken a turn for the worse. Well, today I lapsed back into the habit. Does this constitute breaking a vow—opinions? I’m of the opinion that I just fell back into a bad habit, and I’ve renewed my intention but I’d like to hear what others more knowledgeable on the matter would say.
Thank you.
 
Okay, I know someone at our church who is suffering from cancer. I decided to offer up a bad habit (shopping online for guitars–I rarely buy, but I’m a musician and I like to look at guitars and it can be a real time-wasting habit for me). I gave up the habit for Lent (mostly successfully) and decided to give up the habit again for the month of April and offer it up for our friend when I heard she had taken a turn for the worse. Well, today I lapsed back into the habit. Does this constitute breaking a vow—opinions? I’m of the opinion that I just fell back into a bad habit, and I’ve renewed my intention but I’d like to hear what others more knowledgeable on the matter would say.
Thank you.
It depends on your intention. You say you “decided to give up the habit”. Was the decision a solemn vow? Only you know.
 
It depends on your intention. You say you “decided to give up the habit”. Was the decision a solemn vow? Only you know.
No, I didn’t make a solemn vow, but I do win “self-centered jerk” points for not asking anyone who reads this to pray for relief from pain and healing for our friend who is suffering from cancer. Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top