C
Cat
Guest
I can go along with this.I watched it about 4 years ago. It was dry, boring, stuffy and seemed to be marketed for the age group 60-85 years old.
There were very few uplifting, exciting or entertaining programs.
So, its not for me. EWTN could become edgier I suppose and show some well financed documentaries.
I think that EWTN ought to seriously look into reaching out to the youth and youth-oriented. There are probably key hours each day that they could air concerts by Catholic rock bands. That wouldn’t be too expensive, and the Catholic rock bands would probably like it because it would help them sell more CDs.
Panel discussions featuring youth hosts and youth participants would also be interesting and fairly cheap to make (no more expensive than the adult discussion shows). There are a lot of issues that Catholic youth face in school and community, and often they can’t find answers, so they flounder. Dating, movies, sex, music, the war, abortion, megachurches and other religions, etc.–discuss them and give answers that teens can actually use in their everyday life.
There are a lot of teens involved with pro-life issues–this would be an AWESOME way for EWTN to start reaching out to youth. Get some of the more active teens who already have a respected reputation with groups like Right to Life and March for Life, and let them do some youth-oriented programs. My daughter filmed a short video of a trip to March for Life that she made with three other teens and four chaperones–it’s an awesome video (made about 8 years ago). I’m sure other teens have videos of their experiences, too–air them. Why let YouTube have all the good stuff?
I see nothing wrong with doing a catechizing show geared towards youth and young people. I don’t especially like listening to Mother Angelica and Bishop Sheen, even though I think they are great Catholic Christians. Why not get someone like Tim Staples or Steve Ray, someone who is really good at communicating with younger people, adding a little Catholic rock, getting some color on the set, and making the whole thing look street-smart and urban? Not that expensive to do–heck, the speaker could be “videos” rather than live (just like the megachurches!).
I think a show about other religions would really go over with younger people (and older people, too!). A comparative show, with side-by-side comparisons to the Catholic Church, and preferably, a refutation of the false teachings of other religions). I predict that this would be a very popular show.
I have gotten involved in a small way with some of the film festivals (as a screenplaywriter hopeful), and I think that EWTN might want to solicit well-done short films and documentaries and air them on the network. There are literally thousands of short films and documentaries that never have a chance at these festivals. It’s not that they are badly done (a lot of them are), but the film industry just doesn’t jump at films and documentaries about Catholic issues and practices. It seems to me, though, that many of us would be very interested in seeing these short films and documentaries–could EWTN put out the call online for short films and documentaries about Catholicism, offer a stipend and a regular airing (the regular airing is the most valuable prize an amateur filmmaker could achieve!)?