What do Catholics believe happens to non catholics after death? looking for a brief answer

• Thread starter Thread starter Hi727
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hi727

After a non catholic dies, do catholics believe they will ultimately go to hell even if they were good people? Looking for a brief answer. Thanks!

P.S. I think I may have put this topic in the wrong category…

They are judged just like all other humans and will receive what is just for them according to GOD. Some will go to Heaven, some will spend some time in Purgatory and some will go to Hell.

Peace

So just to be clear Catholics believe it is possible for a non catholics to go to heaven?

The process is known as the “Last Four Things”, i.e. death, judgment, heaven (purgation as needed), hell.

Purgatory cleanses any affects of sin from our souls. For example, we can repent of a sin and be forgiven for it, but it leaves some damage to our souls. Our sufferings, prayers, sacrifices, and alms-giving make up for many sins, but if anything is left Purgatory is the means by which our souls are made perfect so as to enable us to be in God’s presence.

Those in Purgatory died in friendship of GOD, but the sins committed when alive although not enough to condemn them to Hell still had repercussions that need to be cleansed. St Paul explains this in one of his letters. Where he tells us that some of us will be rewarded with Heaven but the “entrance” to it will be like going through “fire” and therefore some pain is involved.
Peace!

It is a state of being rather than a place. Revelation 21:27 states that nothing impure enters God’s Kingdom. Nearly all of us die with some level of sin, or attachment to sin, on our souls. This needs to be purged from our souls - the caveat being that the sin must not have been a mortal sin, i.e. murder, adultery, etc. Mortal sin leads to death, as the Apostle John wrote in his first letter, chapter 5.

The purgation process may be thought of as being cleaned up in a mudroom before entering the banquet.

another question, if someone were to die without coming to a knowledge of the gospel would they go to hell according to Catholicism?

Last edited:
Not necessarily. God saves whom He will. But, knowing of the truth and promise of Christ - and then rejecting it - does not predict a good future.

Thus, we pray for all of the dead, especially our family members.

Last edited:
sorry if im asking to many questions. Does the church have missionaries? That visit people? Or do people have to come to them?

You are wlcome to ask questions! Yes there are missionaries. Where are you located, which nation?

OK. You can contact your local parish, or check with your Archdiocese. Someone there will certainly be able to help you.

From the Baltimore Catechism;

Q. 510. Is it ever possible for one to be saved who does not know the Catholic Church to be the true Church?

A. It is possible for one to be saved who does not know the Catholic Church to be the true Church, provided that person:

1.(1) Has been validly baptized;

2.(2) Firmly believes the religion he professes and practices to be the true religion, and

3.(3) Dies without the guilt of mortal sin on his soul.

Q. 511. Why do we say it is only possible for a person to be saved who does not know the CatholicChurch to be the true Church?

A. We say it is only possible for a person to be saved who does not know the Catholic Church to be the true Church, because the necessary conditions are not often found, especially that of dying in a state of grace without making use of the Sacrament of Penance.

Yes.
We pray for all souls.
We are permitted to hope all go to heaven.
Implicit is a Yes to your question based upon those practices. OTHERWIZE those practices would require us to cull ," he who hath no hope," in the words of Dante.
I find it a useless exercise to recite the many negative ideas that envision that justice and damnation require a tiny salvation. They can be ratcheted up to include almost everyone. As if Jesus came to save many, and failed miserably.

Last edited:
. We say it is only possible for a person to be saved who does not know the Catholic Church to be the true Church, because the necessary conditions are not often found, especially that of dying in a state of grace without making use of the Sacrament of Penance.
I’ve often wondered about this…I guess, the Church teaches that “invincible ignorance” no longer exists after one has become a member in full communion with Mother Church and then walks away…Is this a judgment that is irreversible short of a death bed confession and return to the faith?

I’m hoping not, because there are many people who have left the Church for evangelicalism, including some high profile public servants such as the Vice President of the United States.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back