What Do I Do? A Girl is Hitting on Me

  • Thread starter Thread starter ATeutonicKnight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will not date until I am eighteen, and** I have been advised by many clergymen to not date when discerning a religious vocation. **I will have eight years of seminary in order to discern if I am called or not, which will be under the guidance of a spiritual director and many professors. Dating while discerning is not always a good idea.
When it comes to religious discernment you have to follow the instructions of your vocation director and spiritual director. Anything else is just a personal opinion, including ours, that is not truly related to your case. I am telling you this because I know of a Msgr. that was instructed by his vocation director to start dating because there were concerns about some personal prejudices toward marriage and couple relationships. Later he was allowed to continue his discernment and he was ordained. This story was shared by the priest himself a couple of months ago at a diocesan dinner for high school students that are considering the priesthood.
 
I will not date until I am eighteen, and I have been advised by many clergymen to not date when discerning a religious vocation. I will have eight years of seminary in order to discern if I am called or not, which will be under the guidance of a spiritual director and many professors. Dating while discerning is not always a good idea.
In the end, its got to be up to you. If you don’t want to date right now that’s ok. If you really and truly know in your heart that the only thing you will ever want is to be a priest, that is ok too. I wish I had known what I wanted to do when I was your age. Now, here I am, middle aged and still dont know what to do with my life. I envy you a little!

If you have such strong desires toward the priesthood, then go with that for now. I wouldnt push any possible friendships away though, just because they happen to be females that may be a bit direct. You will get that from time to time. Girls that want to hug you when they say hello, girls that say you are nice and they wish they could find someone like you. It doesnt necessarily mean they want to go out. Keep treating your female buddies like they are your good friend and sister in Christ. If any of them crosses a line it will be very noticable and you will know when to be firm and say, No, thank you. And if the one comes along to make you realize your calling is marriage, you will know that too! 🙂

You are young…take your time. 👍
 
In the end, its got to be up to you. If you don’t want to date right now that’s ok. If you really and truly know in your heart that the only thing you will ever want is to be a priest, that is ok too. I wish I had known what I wanted to do when I was your age. Now, here I am, middle aged and still dont know what to do with my life. I envy you a little!

If you have such strong desires toward the priesthood, then go with that for now. I wouldnt push any possible friendships away though, just because they happen to be females that may be a bit direct. You will get that from time to time. Girls that want to hug you when they say hello, girls that say you are nice and they wish they could find someone like you. It doesnt necessarily mean they want to go out. Keep treating your female buddies like they are your good friend and sister in Christ. If any of them crosses a line it will be very noticable and you will know when to be firm and say, No, thank you. And if the one comes along to make you realize your calling is marriage, you will know that too! 🙂

You are young…take your time. 👍
Don’t be envious. God has a special purpose for you too, you just haven’t realized it yet!

Trust me, pushing away friendship with her is far from my mind. She actually is really nice and I wouldn’t mind being friends with her. As for hugs, I don’t mind that because I hug people a lot anyway. I just have to be careful when hugging attractive girls my age too often. Thank you for the wonderful advice!
 
Don’t be envious. God has a special purpose for you too, you just haven’t realized it yet!

Trust me, pushing away friendship with her is far from my mind. She actually is really nice and I wouldn’t mind being friends with her. As for hugs, I don’t mind that because I hug people a lot anyway. I just have to be careful when hugging attractive girls my age too often. Thank you for the wonderful advice!
I hope you are right about my purpose. I just dont want to find it and then be too old to do anything with it! 😛
 
You can refer her to me if your 100% sure you are going to be a priest. I’d love it if girls would hit on me:)
 
I hope you are right about my purpose. I just dont want to find it and then be too old to do anything with it! 😛
😃

God would never do that. Moses probably felt as if his purpose was shown after he was too old, but God always has a plan, and you are never ineligible once you discover it.
 
I’ve been discerning the diocesan Priesthood and religious life for nearly two years now, and in two weeks I am going on the diocesan trip to the seminary for men sixteen and up. Recently I served on the altar with my spiritual director and I met an altar girl there. She is now hitting on me and I am at a loss on what to do. I told her about my vocation and she saw pictures of me in a cassock on Facebook, but I think she may believe she can change my mind, or perhaps that I am open to dating before I enter seminary. Others have said to tell her upfront that I am not interested to save her the heartache of false hope, but I wanted to get other opinions before I act.
What does “hitting on you” look like?
 
How do you reconcile dating while discerning a religious vocation with the personalist norm, that is not to treat the other person as a subject of use for your own needs, for example help your discernment? I realise that a date is not an engagement but normally people flirt and date with the understanding that one’s free and willing to commit. Plus, how can one keep pursuing two vocations (as that’s what happens in effect)?
And even if he WAS in the seminary, who is to say, except for God, that such a choice was the right one?
Authoritatively? Those to whom the authority was entrusted. Those who need to follow God’s will without having an authoritative “read” also have to get by somehow.

Anyway, seminarians dating sounds wrong to me. It’s probably not a risk that an adult woman wouldn’t be able to take on herself, so you could perhaps say volenti non fit iniuria (injury isn’t done to the willing) but that still sounds wrong.
If you are certain God is calling you to serve as a priest, tell her that you have already met your bride and that bride is the Church.
I thought the Church was God’s bride. Stealing even a mortal king’s bride is decapitable, you know. 😉
 
How do you reconcile dating while discerning a religious vocation with the personalist norm, that is not to treat the other person as a subject of use for your own needs, for example help your discernment? I realise that a date is not an engagement but normally people flirt and date with the understanding that one’s free and willing to commit. Plus, how can one keep pursuing two vocations (as that’s what happens in effect)?
Very good question!

If he discloses his situation, it would be okay, then? I know, it’s semi-futile for her to date him, if you believe that it will end with him leaving. But, you know what? MOST dating relationships don’t end with a marriage proposal. If you enjoy the companionship, learn something about yourself and interpersonal relationships, why not?

I will admit that I have a real problem with a seventeen year old committing to the priesthood and forsaking women without knowing what he’s forsaking.
 
Very good question!

If he discloses his situation, it would be okay, then? I know, it’s semi-futile for her to date him, if you believe that it will end with him leaving. But, you know what? MOST dating relationships don’t end with a marriage proposal. If you enjoy the companionship, learn something about yourself and interpersonal relationships, why not?

I will admit that I have a real problem with a seventeen year old committing to the priesthood and forsaking women without knowing what he’s forsaking.
Think of Saint Padre Pio and Saint John Vianney. Neither of them dated and neither of them pursued marriage at any point. They both went straight to the seminary. Why can’t I just be friends with her? Isn’t that enough? I don’t see why officially labeling it as “dating” makes a difference if I am speaking with her and spending time with her either way. 🤷
 
Think of Saint Padre Pio and Saint John Vianney. Neither of them dated and neither of them pursued marriage at any point. They both went straight to the seminary. Why can’t I just be friends with her? Isn’t that enough? I don’t see why officially labeling it as “dating” makes a difference if I am speaking with her and spending time with her either way. 🤷
Saint Damien never dated either…he went straight into seminary and was ordained at 24. He gave his whole life to God and to serve people in need.

No need to officially date anyone if you dont want to. And I think its very cool that you are staying friends with her. 👍
 
Think of Saint Padre Pio and Saint John Vianney. Neither of them dated and neither of them pursued marriage at any point. They both went straight to the seminary. Why can’t I just be friends with her? Isn’t that enough? I don’t see why officially labeling it as “dating” makes a difference if I am speaking with her and spending time with her either way. 🤷
In all christian love, come back when you can answer that question.

If you do not want to date, that is fine. Tell her you do not want to date. You do realize that a romantic relationship can occur without dating?

My comments come from many years of knowing and observing priests. The ones who are the most “well-grounded” and happy seem to be the ones who have lived in the real world as adults before entering seminary. That’s just my observation.

I realize that we are going beyond the question that you asked and giving overall advice about vocations and life. Take it if you want or not. I mean you no ill will.
 
Take it if you want or not. I mean you no ill will.
My man Paul. I like your style. 🙂

I think too often people try to force a person in X or Y directions. My opinion is giving opinions can be awesome (the person might find them helpful) but ultimately its better to give the person room and freedom to follow which road they believe best for them.

Allowing them that without being → :mad: ← like this in the face if they don’t take the road you suggest or prescribe.

Plus, you can never know for sure, in a case like this, if God or the Virgin Mary is really pushing a kid into direction X right away.
 
Very good question!

If he discloses his situation, it would be okay, then?
Under basic theory of civil law, yeah. Can’t claim an injury if you consented to something that wasn’t ultra vires, you weren’t under the effect of fraud or coercion etc.

On the other hand the above, while certainly affecting the justice of the situation, doesn’t resolve the whole darn thing morally. Although it does have some bearing.

For example, the personalist norm isn’t violated by generals sending soldiers on missions the latter don’t understand. I guess it can be said not to be violated by enforcing strict discipline, thus probably taking the reason of the soldier as it should be (obligation) rather than whatever it happens to be due to his potential faults (sad reality). The justification being a shared goal of protection of the homeland. (This is JP2’s example.) For this reason I do believe there’s nothing wrong with common discernment even with some caveats and some account taken of possibly very specific needs of either party that will lead to a non-deal if they aren’t secured. But, we can’t really reconcile dating by people who aren’t able to date or marry, right? I’m not talking about those without nullity decrees, as that’s a question of still being presumed married. But when someone has a solid vetitum (prohibition from ecclesiastic court re: further attempts at marriage), or a potential case of impotence, or some psychic issues that border on grave, then notwithstanding certain presumptions (marriage has the favour of the law as does the individual’s ability to contract it, while at the same time can. 1066 provides an opposite norm by barring celebration unless and until steps are taken to ensure that it’ll be valid), it looks bleak.

After all, we criticise consensual fornication as instrumental use of each by the other, don’t we? This notwithstanding their consent. It would follow that consent doesn’t remove the problem of objectification or some other like injury done through certain irregularities in man and woman relationships.

Given the above, I can’t reconcile situations like having 2 girlfriends or boyfriends or dating multiple people sort-of-intimately (multiple concurrent romantic relationships, basically), especially given that effort is put into building two or more relationships, all but one of which, or even indeed all of which, will have to be interrupted at some point. It’s like building houses to be demolished.

Same way I see seminarians dating. I believe when you’re there, you train to be a priest. Finding out is behind you. You’re actively taking steps to become a priest if you’re in formal training and the natural course of that provides for completion, graduation and ordination. You should be training for celibacy rather than employing last minute checks, I guess.

While this isn’t perhaps rock-solid logic (not a necessary inference, I guess), justifications of seminarian dating, just like justifications of multi-dating, all focus on what’s good for the individual multi-dating or dating while in seminary. This should be telling! Our relationships with other people are not about and are not to be about what’s beneficial to us, screw the rest as long as they are consenting. Implication being that everybody’s job is to look to his own interests.

It must be reiterated that consent doesn’t make it entirely right to use others as tools through which to achieve our personal benefits. Consent doesn’t justify us in acting without heed to the good of the other person in pursuit of our own good (interests and needs rather in this case because our own good cannot be achieved in doing bad things). Thus just because a girl is consenting doesn’t make it right to use her.
I know, it’s semi-futile for her to date him, if you believe that it will end with him leaving.
Yup.
 
But, you know what? MOST dating relationships don’t end with a marriage proposal.
But that’s not a justification. It’s a fact of nature that some attempts fail, mostly due to contingent singulars that we don’t know (circumstances and all). Attempts which are semi-doomed from start are a different matter. Our reason already knows what’s going on. We’re not in to find out that the boyfriend is a jerk or the girlfriend is kinda loose, or the other way round. It’s like dating n people where by necessity of cold hard logic we know that from the very start n-1 are doomed. The fact that we don’t know which one will stay doesn’t justify the numbers, just like when you kill somebody thinking it’s somebody else, you’re still committing homicide regardless of your error or lack of knowledge of the identity of the victim. The victim’s identity is not an essential element of the crime. Somewhat the same way, you can’t throw a grenade into a pack of civilians and one enemy soldier just because you have the right to fight that enemy soldier. Ends don’t justify means and they don’t justify collateral damage (casualties) either. Rights we have don’t justify sacrificing the rights of others.
If you enjoy the companionship, learn something about yourself and interpersonal relationships, why not?
Precisely because the actual goal of dating, or rather its purpose, is discernment. Just like school is about learning book smarts, even though you learn some street smarts and above all strike some friendships in there. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying companionship and learning something about yourself and relationships as a by-product of honest discernment. But enjoyment is not the purpose of dating. To some extent you can desire something for its by-product as long as you accept its purpose. But you can’t drop the purpose altogether and go entirely and only for the by-products. And again, it’s not about you. It’s about the girl and you, each as an individual with dignity and rights, and the relationship that’s a new entity here. Similarly to how marriage is a total gift and receipt of entire persons (although not in the sense of a legal transfer, as personhood is inalienable), not a step by one partner to secure certain singular interests (although it would be cool to find a chess partner).
I will admit that I have a real problem with a seventeen year old committing to the priesthood and forsaking women without knowing what he’s forsaking.
But the same way we reject the right to fornication before marriage. We reject trial marriage. We reject the right to try before buying. Granted, I’m giving an example that pertains to sexual intercourse while we’re discussing relationships that are supposed not to contain that element. However, I still believe there’s an analogy that works. Try before buy is not a particularly solid right, especially when it comes to trumping the rights of others or justifying ambiguous decisions.
 
My comments come from many years of knowing and observing priests. The ones who are the most “well-grounded” and happy seem to be the ones who have lived in the real world as adults before entering seminary. That’s just my observation.
And Peter also had a wife and mother-in-law. But the thing is that some people discover vocations late and some discover them early. Once you’re on the path, you go that path and not one foot in the other. The “well-grounded” ones of whom you speak spent some time living in the world like every other Catholic male that’s not a priest, so they probably bona fide dated some in order to push it forward a bit towards finding one to marry. If not actually a clear discernment with one specific person. Then vocation became clear, they went to seminary. That’s different from being in seminary and starting to date.
 
And Peter also had a wife and mother-in-law. But the thing is that some people discover vocations late and some discover them early. Once you’re on the path, you go that path and not one foot in the other. …Then vocation became clear, they went to seminary. That’s different from being in seminary and starting to date.
Yes, I understand.

I am just making a general observation that, in some ways, to be a well-rounded man, one must experience life and relationships. Not just with women, but with men as well. Friendships, relationships, paying rent, etc, lead to a fuller experience.

Just because you think that you might be called to be a priest, that doesn’t mean that your life or your personal/emotional growth stops.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top