What do I do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LoveGod102
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LoveGod102

Guest
I don’t go to sleep until like 5-7 am, then I sleep all day. I do online classes, so I just get up for them and then go right back to sleep and do my homework and other stuff at night. My parents think is so abnormal and I keep telling them that’s it not my fault that I am wide awake at night and can’t sleep then, and lots of teens do this, but they don’t believe me and get mad. I have an English test every Friday, and I also have homeschool coop which means I have to be up by 7 am every Friday and I’ll have barely slept. and then I always get dragged along to McDonald’s ALL afternoon with my younger siblings and there friends after coop. I have nothing to do there, and then I won’t have time study for my test, or do it, because I need to go sleep for several hours when I get home. My parents won’t email my teacher to see if I can do the test another day, or compromise in any way. Then they’ll be mad because I’ll either miss the tests or get bad grades on them. They just think this is all my fault because I stay up all night. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to fail my English class! Help!
 
You’re not describing a particularly healthy or academically profitable circadian rhythm. Sleep is not like a daily debt that you can pay any time you like. Your body does best in a particular rhythm, but especially one that responds as daytime animals do when they have some access to the sun. And yes, teens do tend to have a daily rhythm that is shifted a bit later in the day, but that does not mean the rest of the world is going to revolve around your biology even when you let your days and nights get mixed up! You’re not going to win that one, not until you get your own place.

You live in a house that is on “day shift” hours and you have to put at least one “day shift” day in yourself every week, so for the time being you’re just going to have to adapt. It isn’t a huge deal to be off by a matter of a few hours once a week, but not by so much as you’re describing. You’re currently acting like a graveyard shift worker who has to put a day shift in every Friday. That is not good. Really, really not good. Sorry, but you get to change, not everybody else.

You can get tips about how to accomplish this by looking on the internet for strategies concerning how to switch from being a night worker to being a day worker. It is a little like learning how to deal with jet lag, but a little bit different. Some people, after all, are required to do this on a regular basis: that is, they have to be awake during the hours when they would be asleep, if left to their own devices. Research has been done concerning how to achieve that. No reason to re-invent the wheel. Give in to the reality that you are in a house in the sunlit lands, and until you can move out, change your schedule as much as you need to in order to fit, using the findings of science to make that as painless for you as possible.
 
You’re not describing a particularly healthy or academically profitable circadian rhythm. Sleep is not like a daily debt that you can pay any time you like. Your body does best in a particular rhythm, but especially one that responds as daytime animals do when they have some access to the sun. And yes, teens do tend to have a daily rhythm that is shifted a bit later in the day, but that does not mean the rest of the world is going to revolve around your biology even when you let your days and nights get mixed up! You’re not going to win that one, not until you get your own place.

You live in a house that is on “day shift” hours and you have to put at least one “day shift” day in yourself every week, so for the time being you’re just going to have to adapt. It isn’t a huge deal to be off by a matter of a few hours once a week, but not by so much as you’re describing. You’re currently acting like a graveyard shift worker who has to put a day shift in every Friday. That is not good. Really, really not good. Sorry, but you get to change, not everybody else.

You can get tips about how to accomplish this by looking on the internet for strategies concerning how to switch from being a night worker to being a day worker. It is a little like learning how to deal with jet lag, but a little bit different. Some people, after all, are required to do this on a regular basis: that is, they have to be awake during the hours when they would be asleep, if left to their own devices. Research has been done concerning how to achieve that. No reason to re-invent the wheel. Give in to the reality that you are in a house in the sunlit lands, and until you can move out, change your schedule as much as you need to in order to fit, using the findings of science to make that as painless for you as possible.
OK, I see what you’re saying and maybe you’re right, but I really can’t fall asleep at night. I have tried, but I just wind up laying in bed tossing and turning, unable to sleep. I don’t know how to change this. I don’t what to do. I tried looking up internet strategies but they didn’t help. So what do I do? Should I just accept that I am going to fail my English class because I can’t fall asleep? I don’t want to fail it, but I don’t know what else to do. It’s 2:46 am right now and I am wide awake, and there is no way that I can fall asleep right now, whereas twelve hours from now I’ll probably be fast asleep.
 
Maybe the reason you can’t sleep at night is because you’ve slept all day? I feel for you a bit because I also tend to be a night owl, and I can’t tell you the number of times I’m going to bed just before dawn. But I have kids and a life that has to be taken care of during the day, so I can’t always sleep all day. So I’ve had to learn to adjust.

Since Friday is the day that you have to be up all day, Friday night would be a great time to try to go to bed earlier. You should be good and tired since you haven’t slept. And maybe you will still toss and turn and not sleep well. But on Saturday, get up in the morning anyway and stay up all day. It may take a few days, but at some point your body will catch up with the need for sleep.

As far as trying to study, why can’t you study at McDonalds? I understand having to hang out with the younger kids, but plenty of traditionally schooled kids bring their homework to Starbucks and hang out there to study, why can’t you do that at McDonalds? Your parents may appreciate you taking the initiative to use your time more productively, and I can’t imagine them saying you can’t study.
 
Maybe the reason you can’t sleep at night is because you’ve slept all day? I feel for you a bit because I also tend to be a night owl, and I can’t tell you the number of times I’m going to bed just before dawn. But I have kids and a life that has to be taken care of during the day, so I can’t always sleep all day. So I’ve had to learn to adjust.

Since Friday is the day that you have to be up all day, Friday night would be a great time to try to go to bed earlier. You should be good and tired since you haven’t slept. And maybe you will still toss and turn and not sleep well. But on Saturday, get up in the morning anyway and stay up all day. It may take a few days, but at some point your body will catch up with the need for sleep.

As far as trying to study, why can’t you study at McDonalds? I understand having to hang out with the younger kids, but plenty of traditionally schooled kids bring their homework to Starbucks and hang out there to study, why can’t you do that at McDonalds? Your parents may appreciate you taking the initiative to use your time more productively, and I can’t imagine them saying you can’t study.
Because everyone will be talking, and it will be loud, so I won’t be able to pay attention. But even on days that I get up early because I have to, I am just tired all day, but then at night I am wide awake again. It doesn’t make sense. Why is does my body work like that?
 
Exercise more. That is the main problem IMO for insomnia.

Drink less tea and coffee. A warm cup of milk before bed is good. Just microwave for 30 seconds.

Dave B
 
My daughter got into this routine when we were homeschooling during the last year, and I used to get so frustrated with her, but unless I kept her awake ALL day (even if she hadn’t slept hardly at all that night or went to be super late), she just could not get to sleep that night. You need to get yourself back on a normal sleep schedule. Try your hardest to stay awake during the day so you’ll be nice and sleepy at night. That was the ONLY thing that worked for my teenager. Staying up till 5-7 in the morning is unhealthy but I know that you can get out of that habit and back into one where you aren’t sleeping the day away! 🙂
 
I agree with EasterJoy–you have to shift your body rhythm back to wakeful days and sleeping nights. Whether you want to or not, you HAVE to. It can and must be done, and you had best get started working on it rather than finding more reasons not to just do it.

When you are older and finished with school, you will be able to work third shift, and all your co-workers will be very grateful! 🙂 I work in a hospital lab, and we look for people for the night shift who are like you–night-oriented. These people happily and productively work nights for decades, and this is so much better than hiring new grads who don’t really want to work nights, but have to in order to get a job and get their foot in the door of the hospital. (At the first opportunity, they switch to days.)

But for now, while you are young, you have to be like everyone else, unless your family is willing to have you switch to being a night person. It’s possible, if you are home schooling. But it sounds like your parents are not really very open to this idea. And it really doesn’t work well with the rest of student life–most tests, etc. that even home-schooled students are required to take are done during the day, and this isn’t likely to change.

I agree with others–ALL caffeine has to go out of your life–you may be hyper-sensitive (some people are). That means chocolate, too. All of it. Sorry.

You have to stay awake during the day, which means being active and "up,’ not just studying (I would fall asleep if I sat and studied). Why not take up a sport like running, biking, or swimming that is done during the day, often in the early morning? (Both of these are fairly cheap, although with swimming you will need to be living near a pool that is open in the early morning). If you are a runner, you can read/study while you run–that’s cool. 🙂

Another thing you can do to be awake during the day is make some friends. Most friends will not be “night people.” You will have to be awake during the day to hang out with your friends and do things like go to games, go to the mall, hang out at someone’s house, do sports, do arts, etc.

Get involved with activities in your city for young people. Arts (choirs, theater groups, etc.) and sports are easy enough to join, along with various clubs. And how about getting involved at your parish? These will keep you awake during the day.

And you will have to “wind down” in the evening so that you’re able to sleep. A lot of experts suggest no electronics for a few hours before bed. That means no TV, no video games, and no CAF or other online social media. I have to admit that I don’t follow that. I find that watching TV puts me right to sleep! But try it giving up electronics–try reading for pleasure instead, or playing some kind of game with your sibs, or maybe sitting outside and just hanging out with your family.

One thing you can do is go to bed very very early, and get up very early–e.g., go to bed at 8 and get up at 4, or even bedtime at 7 and up at 3 a.m. That at least gives you more “daytime” sleep, and gets you up what most people consider “night.” Figure skaters often have these hours. This routine might be helpful to your parents, as you could be up, get the coffee started, maybe make a breakfast for everyone, take care of any siblings who get up really early. Of course, if you take up running, you might be running in the early hours of the day.

One more thing–stop making excuses. No, you DON’T get to fail your Engish class. You have to learn that throughout life, you will have to sacrifice what YOU want to do (and be) in order to accomplish what has to be done. Many people in the U.S. do not learn this, and they go through life miserable and they never seem to accomplish much or be very happy.

Good luck to you.
 
Another big issue is staring at screens. If you spend lots of your time in front of a computer, TV, ipad, iphone etc. etc. this can really mess up your ability to sleep. They emit a blue light which your body reads as daylight. It can also lead to depression.medicaldaily.com/articles/11046/20120724/night-light-depression-sleep.htm Cut out all your screen time for a week unless you are sincerely studying and don’t have any screens in the room where you sleep. You need to wean yourself off any extra screen time.

Also, if you are asleep all day do you have a social life - or does that just happen at night? If you can’t go to sleep earlier you CAN get up earlier. Start getting up half an hour earlier each day and keep moving the time you have to wake up earlier, then you should be sleepy earlier.
 
But even on days that I get up early because I have to, I am just tired all day, but then at night I am wide awake again. It doesn’t make sense. Why is does my body work like that?
Because it is now conditioned to do that. You have no rare disease that is making you do this. It is just what you have become used to.

You are not going to change this in a day. It will happen over time if you do as people have suggested. Stay up during the day, all day, and yes, you are going to feel tired. Do your English then. No one is suggesting you fail your class. Get a really good workout in in the afternoon. Ride a bike, take a really long walk, jog. Get more exercise than you normally do to make you good and tired. Do that on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and I believe it will get easier.
 
OK, I see what you’re saying and maybe you’re right, but I really can’t fall asleep at night. I have tried, but I just wind up laying in bed tossing and turning, unable to sleep. I don’t know how to change this. I don’t what to do. I tried looking up internet strategies but they didn’t help. So what do I do? Should I just accept that I am going to fail my English class because I can’t fall asleep? I don’t want to fail it, but I don’t know what else to do. It’s 2:46 am right now and I am wide awake, and there is no way that I can fall asleep right now, whereas twelve hours from now I’ll probably be fast asleep.
There are people who have real difficulty in changing back to a day job after an extended period working night shifts, so I don’t doubt your difficulty. I know doctors with seniority who could work days if they chose to, but they prefer to work nights and sleep during the day. This could be just the way you are.

The obvious problem is, though, that even if you eventually get into a profession that lets you work all night, you’re going to have to go through training that takes place during the day, as you are now. You’re going to have to figure this out before long, and some time before you crash this English course seems like a good time.

The next time you try to change your sleep schedule, I would start on a Thursday and expect it to take at least a week, maybe two. Get yourself up on Thursday after only three or four hours of sleep. Get out into the daylight for an hour or so, or get under one of those lights intended for people with winter time depression. Then go to sleep on Thursday night when you need to, but no later than midnight, with the goal of being asleep at 1 am. You may well toss and turn and feel like you’ve gotten no sleep, but keep to the schedule of getting out in the sunlight during the day, then turning in by midnight. Sorry, but…no napping!

I mean that you do not have to change entirely back to the same schedule your mom had you on in gradeschool, and you especially don’t have to do so all at once. You can be more gradual than that. Instead of going back from “nights” to “days”, you might try going from “nights” to “swing shift”, aiming to be sleeping by around 1 am. That will enable you to get five and half hours of sleep before your Friday 7am. Not ideal by any means, but better than what you’ve been doing.

I have recently found that I actually go to sleep better and especially have an easier time going back to sleep when I reawake when I have a book on tape in my ears. This is because when I toss and turn, it is because I have lots of stuff on my mind. Not just worries, but just thinking. I’ve tried music, but it doesn’t work the same way because I just keep thinking right on through it. My brain needs to be distracted off into something.

This odd example only goes to show that you might want to ask yourself what is going through your mind when you can’t sleep. Contrast that to when you dose off during the day: what are the circumstances? Maybe you need some background noise, which your parents’ household supplies during the day. It may be that an earbud with background music or hooked to an audiobook or talk radio will distract you enough from “trying to go to sleep” that you’ll find it easier to get to sleep. Just keep the sound as low as you can; you don’t want to damage your hearing with eight hours of nightly noise. You may also need exactly what would keep someone else awake in order to go to sleep, and you may find that all the things that help most of the world “wind down” for a better night’s sleep actually get you wound up.

This may sound weird, but another thing that people do is to wear red glasses for an hour before they go to sleep. This trains their brain to think it is night. Any light EXCEPT RED that penetrates our eyelids while we are sleeping will disrupt melatonin pathways and affect the quality of sleep. Go figure. Yes, that means that if you are sleeping during the day and the room isn’t dark, your sleep is doing all that sleep is meant to do. Mostly, though, it means that you should block out all light except a small of amount of red when you’re trying to sleep.

If this makes you miserable, well, keep that in mind when you choose a profession. They are always looking for people in medicine, law enforcement, and corrections who can work effectively at night, while people in the vast majority of professions need to be “all there” somewhere during the 9 am to 5 pm time frame. The few professions who need night staff will be looking for someone like you. Until then, though, you can force yourself to march to the academic world’s drummer. Not fun, but you can do it. Hang in there, these days won’t last forever! 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top