K
kage_ar
Guest
It is interesting that there seems to be an idea that there is room for ONE Catholic radio network and it is EWTN. I’m happy that there are more than one, I wish there were two dozen!
Amen!It is interesting that there seems to be an idea that there is room for ONE Catholic radio network and it is EWTN. I’m happy that there are more than one, I wish there were two dozen!
First of all, the The Catholic Channel is a project of the archdiocese of New York, not the USCCB.If you read Raymond Arroyo’s book about Mother Angelica you may remember that she had to fight the American bishops’ resistance when she was starting her orthodox Catholic EWTN radio station. If you haven’t read it, it is quite eye-opening to see how liberal the bishops of America were when they gave Mother Angelica such a hard time. Now, the bishops have their own radio station (The Catholic Channel) to compete with the only orthodox radio (EWTN). Since they were hosting the pope when he came to America they probably asked him to say the kind words about the Catholic Channel. My guess is that the pope did not realize he was saying the kind words about the liberal station. The bishops even recommended that Benedict give an award to Wolff Blitzer of the most anti-Catholic TV staion in America… CNN.
By the way, Lino Rulli and other Catholic Channel hosts have made it clear several times on the air the TCC was never created to or ever wants to “compete” with EWTN. The folks at the Catholic Channel feel that the two channels compliment each other instead of opposing each other. Unfortunately, from what I hear, it doesn’t seem that the folks at EWTN have the same idea.If you read Raymond Arroyo’s book about Mother Angelica you may remember that she had to fight the American bishops’ resistance when she was starting her orthodox Catholic EWTN radio station. If you haven’t read it, it is quite eye-opening to see how liberal the bishops of America were when they gave Mother Angelica such a hard time. Now, the bishops have their own radio station (The Catholic Channel) to compete with the only orthodox radio (EWTN).
God FORBID!!!discussion was light-hearted and relaxed and there were several bouts of laughter.
You and some other folks here might not like the fun and light-hearted aspect of most Catholic Channel shows. But you have to realize the people they’re going for. They’re trying to appeal to BOTH daily mass Catholics and people who accidentally tuned into them after listening to Howard Stern. I can’t count how many times I’ve heard Lino Rulli read emails from people who tell him that they had absolutely NO INTEREST in listening to Catholic radio before TCC came along.I The Catholic Channel seems to try to appeal to the masses more by being hip and edgy. EWTN presents the faith as what it is - complex, beautiful, and worthy of serious discussion!
Read it for yourself here.Meanwhile, back at the Busted Halo, a young Catholic braces herself to receive some bad news from her lesbian mother. But it turns out it’s only apostasy.
“I need to tell you something.” My mom said.
“Okay.” I prepared myself for something tragic, when instead I heard,
“I’m not Catholic anymore, I just thought you should know.”
For a minute there, Ma, you had her worried.
Putting the sarcasm aside, there are some very disturbing and counter-productive elements to this story.
Free of judgment? What Bible has she been reading. I don’t understand how a scholar like her could come to this conclusion.The God I learned from my mother was wholly compassionate, free of judgment and always forgiving. She made it clear that this God was at the heart of Catholicism.