What do you think about this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mnhs10
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mnhs10

Guest
Earlier today I was talking to a friend about a world history textbook we use for class. In this book, in the few times it mentions Jesus and Christianity, most of the remarks are blatantly anti-catholic/anti-christian in general. However, Buddhism is frequently mentioned, and is done so in a way that is much more favorable than Christianity and Judaism. So while upset and talking about this, I said the book makes Jesus look like an *******, while at the same time making the Buddha out to be some kind of holy god. A little while later I was thinking about this and wondering if what I had said would have been sinful. Now, I know there were definitely better words I could have used, but I wasn’t thinking that much at the moment, and it slipped out so to say. So I thought about it, and since in no way do I believe this, nor said this in an insulting manner, and on top of it being spur of the moment, I assumed it wasn’t all to serious. Am I wrong for thinking this was a venial sin at the worst? For those wondering, the word I used rhymes with bass pole.
 
Hi it seems venial in my opinion.
You did not go out of your way to be like that , it simply came out, sometimes we can’t help these things, but just pray to have more self control in the future 🙂
 
It’s all in the intention. We know from Christ Himself that all words spoken against the Son will be forgiven. While we should have utmost reverence for the name of the Lord, usage of a rough expression motivated by your being upset at the negative representation that this book gave of the Lord is understandable, at least. Mortal sin is sort of heavy in that it means we lose sanctifying grace and it brings death to the soul…do you feel that this is what this phrase did to you?

Now, do remember that the Sacrament of Reconciliation is not exclusively for mortal sins. We are expected to stay for a long time without committing mortal sins and yet we are expected to confess often. The saints, who were very holy people, confessed even weekly 🤷 So if you think you want to apologize to the Lord for not having used greater reverence, by all means go ahead, He’ll be glad to see you. While only your confessor can actually discern if the sin was venial or mortal, I wouldn’t lose my sleep over this 😉

Don’t be upset when something or someone scorns our Lord. I used to do this a lot, until I found out in a very clear way that the Lord does not need anyone to defend Him. He was the first one willing to bear this. Check out Psalm 22 as an example of the Lord’s extraordinary humbleness and willingness to bear all sorts of mockery for the love of God and for the salvation of men.
 
I don’t see the sin. I do see a pretty sharp eye and clear mind to see the agenda present in the book. Keep it up.
 
Several things:
  1. You did call Jesus a vulgar name. You stated that the author made Him appear that way to you. And I take it that you were not happy with that portrayal.
  2. As part of your education to become a critical reader, look up the difference between “imply” and “infer.” Authors and speakers imply. Readers and listeners infer. Work on this. It is one of the great secrets to proper understanding of all communication.
  3. Perhaps you made a hasty inference the author did not imply. If you really think the author was out of line, discuss that section of the textbook with your parents first and your teacher second. Perhaps the school needs a better text book; if so, you and your parents should voice your concern with the Principal and School Board or the college.
  4. The basic issue is learning how to express yourself without resorting to vulgarism. Determine what would be a polite substitute for the vulgar name. Resolve that when you discuss historical figures and even friends and acquaintances, you will avoid vulgar name calling and use words that make your point without insult. Example:
    Bob is firm. Charlie is stubborn. Dan is pigheaded. Yet, all three are men with strong convictions.
 
  1. You did call Jesus a vulgar name. You stated that the author made Him appear that way to you. And I take it that you were not happy with that portrayal.
OOPS !!!

Somehow I missed typed and then did not see it in my edit: I meant to write:

1. You did NOT call Jesus a vulgar name.

I am very sorry if anyone, especially the OP, took offense at my unintentional poor typing. Forgive me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top