What do you think Jesus prayed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave_B
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave_B

Guest
In Luke 6:12-13 it says Jesus spent the whole night in prayer in God. After a night of praying, in the morning, Jesus appointed the 12 apostles. He then goes down the mountain and gives the sermon on the plain.

This gives the impression that he draw spiritual strength from praying. And I guess? that the purpose of the prayer and solitude was to chose the 12 disciples and engage in conversation with God prior to his ministry?

6:12 “One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.”

6:13 “When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles.”

My question is WHAT you think Jesus said all night? Do you think he recited the 150 psalms? Or was he reciting the Lord’s Prayer? Or was this a private conversation with the Father? or something else?

Thanks & God bless
 
In Luke 6:12-13 it says Jesus spent the whole night in prayer in God. After a night of praying, in the morning, Jesus appointed the 12 apostles. He then goes down the mountain and gives the sermon on the plain.

This gives the impression that he draw spiritual strength from praying. And I guess? that the purpose of the prayer and solitude was to chose the 12 disciples and engage in conversation with God prior to his ministry?

6:12 “One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.”

6:13 “When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles.”

My question is WHAT you think Jesus said all night? Do you think he recited the 150 psalms? Or was he reciting the Lord’s Prayer? Or was this a private conversation with the Father? or something else?

Thanks & God bless
It is my understanding that Jesus was both FULLY HUMAN and FULLY GOD. Now, the way I worked my brain around this was to say He had a fully human brain and body, and I sincerely doubt a fully human brain could have contained all of the knowledge of God.

Bear with me, this is how I sorted it out for myself!!! I have NO idea if it’s correct Catholic thinking but I haven’t had a chance to discuss it in detail with anyone.

Anyway, I wonder if prayer was the way He connected with His divine self. In prayer He could touch on that infinite knowledge that He possessed but that His human brain couldn’t possibly contain? So it’s not so much what did He SAY but what did He think? 🤷

Clearly I am no theologian. 😉
 
…Clearly I am no theologian. 😉
I’m no theologian either 🙂 But I think it his human nature he prayed, ate, slept, wept, and had all the human emotions. And in his divine nature, walked on water, turned water into wine and performed miracles.

My question is really what kind of prayer Jesus prayed. Was this unique to him. A direct communion with God the Father. Or do you think he prayed the psalms or prayers from 1st century Judasim? God bless
 
I’m no theologian either 🙂 But I think it his human nature he prayed, ate, slept, wept, and had all the human emotions. And in his divine nature, walked on water, turned water into wine and performed miracles.

My question is really what kind of prayer Jesus prayed. Was this unique to him. A direct communion with God the Father. Or do you think he prayed the psalms or prayers from 1st century Judasim? God bless
My first thoughts are that he would have prayed some psalms and Jewish prayers, and also would have spent some time in quiet reflection or meditation. Listening to the Father as much as talking to Him. That’s my impression!
 
I’m no theologian either 🙂 But I think it his human nature he prayed, ate, slept, wept, and had all the human emotions. And in his divine nature, walked on water, turned water into wine and performed miracles.

My question is really what kind of prayer Jesus prayed. Was this unique to him. A direct communion with God the Father. Or do you think he prayed the psalms or prayers from 1st century Judasim? God bless
Possibly he communed and conversed with God the way Adam and Eve did before the fall.
 
In Luke 6:12-13 it says Jesus spent the whole night in prayer in God. After a night of praying, in the morning, Jesus appointed the 12 apostles. He then goes down the mountain and gives the sermon on the plain.

This gives the impression that he draw spiritual strength from praying. And I guess? that the purpose of the prayer and solitude was to chose the 12 disciples and engage in conversation with God prior to his ministry?

6:12 “One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.”

6:13 “When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles.”

My question is WHAT you think Jesus said all night? Do you think he recited the 150 psalms? Or was he reciting the Lord’s Prayer? Or was this a private conversation with the Father? or something else?

Thanks & God bless
I would think that Jesus did as each of us would do. He offered all His prayers, works, joys, and sufferings to the Father for all the Father’s intentions. Then He surely thanked His Father for all the benefits received, and asked for His Father’s help in doing the work expected of Him. Jesus was human. I’m sure He talked very Sonlike to His Father about all the happenings in His life. Just like us. We know that Jesus begged for His “chalice” to pass away, but most importantly, we know that Jesus accepted whatever the Father sent, because He said, “Not My will but Yours be done.” Maybe much of the time Jesus was silent, just soaking up the needed love and strength He needed to continue His mission.
 
… Maybe much of the time Jesus was silent, just soaking up the needed love and strength He needed to continue His mission.
Some great answers. I agree I think he probably would have spent time that night in silent contemplation.
 
It’s cool reading all of the posts where everyone is trying to wrap their heads around the mystery of the triune relationship. I love when I hear “in his humanity he did this” or “in his divinity he did that”. The hypostatic union of the God-man, Jesus, can never be comprehended by us. When Jesus prayed to the Father He maintained the relationship that He shared with Him before the foundation of the world. ( see John Chapter 17) Do we see His humanity when He asks His Father if the cup can be passed from Him? Yes. But in all His private moments we can never know the depths of His relationship with His Father. We can guess but I think that we are entering into an area where our human minds can’t really go.

That is my two cents…………………. teachccd
 
🙂 I love this thread. :o It is interesting to just think about how He was when He was among us.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top