O
otjm
Guest
I would be inclined to think this thread was hilarious, if I didn’t first think it was so sad.
It may be that we now have people officially set up to greet people as they enter church. But when I was a kid, well before Vatican 2, the ushers did just that. This isn’t some new agey liberal-think “spirit of Vatican 2” deal. Parishes did this more or less long before any of us were around. It was called being civil, if nothing else.
To those who think that the Mass is about “me and Jesus” and everyone else is a distraction to their spirituality, I would suggest that they read St. Paul (since it sould almost seem unlikely they had ever done so), and pay particular attention to when he speaks about us as the Body of Christ.
To those who seem to think that they need to be left alone, I would ask, do they think that if they were to walk into a synagogue in , say, about 25 AD and Christ was sitting there, that He would not greet them? Oh, that’s right - that would be Christ doing it so that would be different - how? Did Christ not say “What you have done for the least of these, you have done for me”? If you walked into your local parish on Sunday morning, and Christ happened to be standing there greeting you, would you be as upset as you seem to be with the greeters now? And if not, why would that be different? Oh, that’s right - it would be Christ doing that so that would be different - how? Are we not to be Christ for one another? Was it not said “See the Christians. See how they love one another.”?
I am not a greeter nor an usher in my parish, but I do work with Returning Catholics; and I have had more than one say that the reason they were drawn to my parish in particular was that they were trying to make their way back to the Faith, and found our parish so welcoming; and said further that other parishes were not like that. Interesting observations.
To those who seem to want so much to be left alone, I hope when the day comes that you need desperately to have someone there to simply greet you, that someone will be there. Or maybe you will just be left alone in your despearation…
It may be that we now have people officially set up to greet people as they enter church. But when I was a kid, well before Vatican 2, the ushers did just that. This isn’t some new agey liberal-think “spirit of Vatican 2” deal. Parishes did this more or less long before any of us were around. It was called being civil, if nothing else.
To those who think that the Mass is about “me and Jesus” and everyone else is a distraction to their spirituality, I would suggest that they read St. Paul (since it sould almost seem unlikely they had ever done so), and pay particular attention to when he speaks about us as the Body of Christ.
To those who seem to think that they need to be left alone, I would ask, do they think that if they were to walk into a synagogue in , say, about 25 AD and Christ was sitting there, that He would not greet them? Oh, that’s right - that would be Christ doing it so that would be different - how? Did Christ not say “What you have done for the least of these, you have done for me”? If you walked into your local parish on Sunday morning, and Christ happened to be standing there greeting you, would you be as upset as you seem to be with the greeters now? And if not, why would that be different? Oh, that’s right - it would be Christ doing that so that would be different - how? Are we not to be Christ for one another? Was it not said “See the Christians. See how they love one another.”?
I am not a greeter nor an usher in my parish, but I do work with Returning Catholics; and I have had more than one say that the reason they were drawn to my parish in particular was that they were trying to make their way back to the Faith, and found our parish so welcoming; and said further that other parishes were not like that. Interesting observations.
To those who seem to want so much to be left alone, I hope when the day comes that you need desperately to have someone there to simply greet you, that someone will be there. Or maybe you will just be left alone in your despearation…
