What do you think of NPR?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JChapel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
NPR? It’s the grown man’s lullaby.

Babies go to sleep with soothing songs. Adults go to sleep with NPR.
 
You asked for our opinion of NPR. I gave it. You then launched into an attack on Fox news and asked for my opinion on that. My opinion is ,as a liberal ,you’re required to attack Fox news in any thread about politics in the first dozen poster so. Whether Fox News or MSNBC are biased is irrelevant as they receive no tax payer funding to do so. NPR does.
You are straying from my message, here. I only used Fox News as an example because it was the only mainstream conservative news organization that came to mind. While an attack may have slipped in, regrettably, I’ll admit that Fox News does provide a decent conservative perspective most of the time, although because it is one of the few conservative perspectives on TV these days, and because of the mere fact that it is on TV, claims occasionally get inflated and people poke fun at them.

That said, I have nothing against the perspective of conservatives. I might not agree with them all of the time, but I’ll admit that they do their part in balancing out the far left, and vice-versa.

My point, and I hope you’re listening, is that I don’t want to see the Catholic church, or any church under the name of God become a conversion platform for the Republican party. Republicans and conservatives have the right to believe and vote for what they want, I’m not stopping them, but likewise we of less-than-conservative interests should be given that freedom, too. Maybe then will the Catholic church be able to unite under a more centrist banner.
 
It’s the only radio I can stand except the oldies stations. I listen to it for the music.

Expect to get several posts from folks who can’t stand NPR for whatever reason; especially here in these forums.
 
I was listening to a classical music station today, which plays NPR news bites at the top of the hour. The report on the cardinals meeting with the pope before the consistory was biased, in the word choice and how they organized it.🤷 Bringing up the abuse scandal first and not mentioning all the topics to be discussed, and the only quote provided (as the last sound bite) was from the leader of SNAP, who had a negative view of the meeting and the pope. Didn’t sound like a “fair” and “balanced” news story to me. 🤷
 
I do agree with you, however, that it is best compared to a satirical news report on the comedy Channel.
…and it’s not like my attack was any different from the one you gave NPR. Typical conservatives. 😛 😃
 
I’m intelligent enought to wade thru both liberal (NPR etc) and conservative (FNC etc) biases to come to an understanding of the facts in our culture.

One has to be savvy in the 21st century and not be the kool-aide drinkers of the left or the right for that matter.

Our eyes should be upon our Lord. Not our eyes upon the conservative (FNC) or liberal (NPR) media

Use the intelligent brain cells Our Lord gave you and dont be a sheep in dumbness.
 
No, but I did not expect attacks, either. 😉
I assume your definition of attacks is anyone who disagrees with your opinion of NPR? It is interesting that your defense of NPR was immediately attack Fox news which would seems to pretty much show not only the liberal bias of NPR but also of those who listen to it
 
I assume your definition of attacks is anyone who disagrees with your opinion of NPR? It is interesting that your defense of NPR was immediately attack Fox news which would seems to pretty much show not only the liberal bias of NPR but also of those who listen to it
I merely stated the same opinion you did: that said opposing news organization can be compared to satire. If my response was an “attack”, so was the “attack” that spurred it.
 
Now can we just please just focus on NPR? If you want to tear the station to shreds, fine, go ahead. Just please at least stay on topic.
 
My 2 cents!

I have to say I love NPR and I take any opinions mentioned about gay rights and abortion in stride – since I know it is a secular show. I actually feel they are just reporting the news – not endorsing any particular way of life. Like someone said – it is not a Catholic or Christian channel, therefore what can we expect? I think NPR reports the news without much of a slant either way. They are not into lighting any fires and they are more into supporting human rights than most other news shows.
 
Now can we just please just focus on NPR? If you want to tear the station to shreds, fine, go ahead. Just please at least stay on topic.
You are the one that inserted Fox news in the discussion.!!!
 
My 2 cents!

I have to say I love NPR and I take any opinions mentioned about gay rights and abortion in stride – since I know it is a secular show. I actually feel they are just reporting the news – not endorsing any particular way of life. Like someone said – it is not a Catholic or Christian channel, therefore what can we expect? I think NPR reports the news without much of a slant either way. They are not into lighting any fires and they are more into supporting human rights than most other news shows.
You say that NPR is"just reporting the news–not endorsing any way of life" but right before that you said “I take any OPINIONS mentioned about gay rights and abortion in stride”. So, which does NPR provide, opinions or news reporting?
 
Then I might as well lock myself up in a cave free from all media. Sure, there is some liberal bias, and maybe a little bit of anti-catholic sentiment, but in this day and age I’ve yet to find any news source which is entirely bias-free.
:thumbsup:Exactly…

may I suggest…“duck…incoming!!”

🍿
 
Fox News may be the most watched and most funded news organization, but much of it is for the wrong reasons. Some of the claims made by “news anchors” are so far right it has been often compared to satire. How many Fox News parodies have I seen? Hundreds. How many NPR parodies have I seen? How many NPR parodies have you seen? 😉

Anyway, because you refuse to answer my question, I’ll go right to my point. If Catholics “aren’t allowed” to go any further left than the rightmost extremities of the Republican party, our discussions become very… one sided. It inaccurately portrays the church as a platform for the Republican party, and we “liberals” are basically left to either throw away all of our non-Republican-party-approved views or risk being branded a heretic. I seriously doubt God wants to divide his church in that way.
:eek:Oh boy, did you step in it!

I don’t let anyone tell me how far to the left or the right to go. Certainly not anonymous ppl on message board. The Republican party makes promises it can’t keep. The Democrats make promises they can’t keep. And every 2-4 years we play this little game. I’m not on either bandwagon that is taking our country over the cliff.

And risk being branded a heretic? by whom? What century is this?🤷

I do find NPR radio boring…as C-span or book review. A real snooze fest. But ya know, if you like it, listen to it. If it rubs you the wrong way…there is a little dial that is called a tuner…change the channel or choose the off button.
 
:eek:Oh boy, did you step in it!

I don’t let anyone tell me how far to the left or the right to go. Certainly not anonymous ppl on message board. The Republican party makes promises it can’t keep. The Democrats make promises they can’t keep. And every 2-4 years we play this little game. I’m not on either bandwagon that is taking our country over the cliff.

And risk being branded a heretic? by whom? What century is this?🤷

I do find NPR radio boring…as C-span or book review. A real snooze fest. But ya know, if you like it, listen to it. If it rubs you the wrong way…there is a little dial that is called a tuner…change the channel or choose the off button.
I guess that is the moral of this discussion, isn’t it? As Catholics, no, as human beings, we should always be cautious about who and what we’re listening to, and most importantly, ask questions. I’ll end in a quote: “Everyone talks about apathy, but no one does anything about it”
 
I guess that is the moral of this discussion, isn’t it? As Catholics, no, as human beings, we should always be cautious about who and what we’re listening to, and most importantly, ask questions. I’ll end in a quote: “Everyone talks about apathy, but no one does anything about it”
yes…ask questions. The only bad question is the one not asked. My mom loves NPR.

I don’t listen to news shows while at work, I listen to music mostly. And if you think that can’t get you into trouble on here…guess again:D.

Welcome to CAF JChapel. 🙂 Stick around…you will learn “to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away…for a few days anyway.”😛

I like Bill O’Reilly…Sean Hannity grates on my nerves. I mostly watch local news…then ABC nightly news.

You like NPR…great, that is what “you” like. Be careful of the “what do you think” type questions, sometimes you may not like the answer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top