M
Mark86
Guest
I’ve been reading Kempis’s “Imitation of Christ,” among many other tracts on Christian spirituality (Jean-Pierre de Cassaude’s “Abandonment to Divine Providence”…etc.), and one constant just gets pounded away again and again: the total abandonment of all self-will and desire… essentially “desiring nothing but God alone.” This is stated over and over again in a hundred different ways, but never does it qualify exactly what it means. In my mind, it can mean many things, including things mutually exclusive.
For example, in my situation it could mean that since I desire to help others but I fear social interactions, the part of myself that needs to be “killed off” is my anxiety, so that I may “put on Christ” by entering into more social interactions.
OR…
It could mean that my “desire to help others” is still a “desire,” and it’s that part that needs to be “killed off” so that I may “put on Christ” by learning how to accept the solitude that the Lord has given me and “desire nothing else but God” (not even social interactions).
OR…
It could mean a million other things.
So that is my confusion. As you can see, those two things are completely different and mutually exclusive paths. Both have some degree of legitimacy. Both involve a cross. Both are hard crosses to bear.
So which one does Christ want me to take? How can I know which way of “abandonment” is the right one?
For example, in my situation it could mean that since I desire to help others but I fear social interactions, the part of myself that needs to be “killed off” is my anxiety, so that I may “put on Christ” by entering into more social interactions.
OR…
It could mean that my “desire to help others” is still a “desire,” and it’s that part that needs to be “killed off” so that I may “put on Christ” by learning how to accept the solitude that the Lord has given me and “desire nothing else but God” (not even social interactions).
OR…
It could mean a million other things.
So that is my confusion. As you can see, those two things are completely different and mutually exclusive paths. Both have some degree of legitimacy. Both involve a cross. Both are hard crosses to bear.
So which one does Christ want me to take? How can I know which way of “abandonment” is the right one?