What does Opus Dei do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ecce_homo_1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What to do, what to do.
I was very involved in Opus Dei.
I advise you all to avoid them as best you can. (IMHO)
Try to keep your children away from their schools, retreats, camps and definatly DO NOT allow your children or yourself to go to Confession to an Opus Dei Priest. Brainwashing does happen and I’d hate for it to continue on with ayone here on Catholic Answers
‘All that glitters is not gold.’

Try the website www.odan.org for more info

Bruce
You know I read that odan site… They use the Da Vinci code as a source… claiming what they say about Opus Dei is accurate and the rest is bunk…

And alot of mistruths on that site and vague hints and implied concepts.
 
This is all so silly. I don’t know what to think of Opus Dei anymore.
 
For those who attack Opus Dei and for those who want to defend it, this site can be very useful: uap.edu.ph/opusdei/

It contains the entire book written by William O’Connor in reply to a book which savagely attacks Opus Dei, a book by ex-Jesuit Michael Walsh, and which continues to be sold in bookstores and in Amazon.

A Quote: The Secret World of Opus Dei, by Michael Walsh (London, 1989) claims to provide ‘the first full account of the secretive world of Opus Dei’, and to be an ‘authoritative account’ which ‘reveals the truth behind the speculation.’

It is nothing of the kind. Rather than Opus Dei, the book portrays a fictional entity, based on unsubstantiated accusations which have appeared over the years in certain sectors of the media, and on the word of a few witnesses whose reliability even the author himself sometimes doubts. The chapter on the spirituality of Opus Dei is a sad caricature.
 
Excellent info. Thanks to all, especially to Moneo, for it. My wife and I have been talking about seeking out an organization where we’ll fit in with people a little more - let’s say ‘observant’ - than those we encounter in the various parishes we attend.

I heard a quote of someone saying something like “Being a active member of a parish is like playing for the Junior Varsity, while Opus Dei is like being on the Varsity team.”

I can definitely see the JV aspect.

I guess I have some books to read. I might start with the John Allen one, as I really respect his work.

Thanks!
 
Oops, I wrote that after reading page 1, not realizing there was more. Lots of negative feelings on page 2. Not to worry, I don’t get into anything without doing my due diligence research. My wife can tell you - we can’t even buy a product without me doing two weeks of research to ensure we’re getting the best thing for us 😃

If we do ever join Opus Dei, I’m sure it will be after several years of thorough investigation…
 
Try to keep your children away from their schools, retreats, camps and definatly DO NOT allow your children or yourself to go to Confession to an Opus Dei Priest. Brainwashing does happen and I’d hate for it to continue on with ayone here on Catholic Answers
That’s like giving the same “advice” about any Catholic priest, because, you know, some of them are pederasts and pedophiles! :eek: Come on, there are good people at OD as well as misguided ones. Don’t we have cafeteria Catholics as well as sedevacantists?

I myself, who’ve never been a member of OD, had an OD priest as a spiritual director who I met at an OD center where numeraries lived and with some of whom I got acquainted with. My spiritual director was one of the best confessors I’ve had.

:blessyou:
 
She also bore the brunt of his temper most times as well.
As far as I know, superficialities such as one’s temperament are not considered in one’s canonization. Were it so, St. Jerome would never be a saint and a Doctor of the Church.

Come on, St. Josemaria interceded for people and Jesus worked miracles, very well documented miracles, unlike gossip and slander. He is in Heaven according to the Holy Spirit through JPII.

So I’m given the choice to believe in either his secretary or the Holy Spirit through the Vicar of Christ… :hmmm: That’s easy, I choose the chair of St. Peter! :newidea: Jesus recommends it.

:blessyou:
 
Personally, I recommend Opus Dei Alert:

This website is dedicated in reparation for the offenses, outrages and overall misrepresentation of true Catholic devotion to St. Joseph, the worthy spouse of the Most Chaste Virgin, as is advanced and perpetrated by the anti-Catholic Talmudic sect known as Opus Dei
Wow, that’s a frightening website. Just reading their 9/11 conspiracy beliefs pretty much debunks anything they have to say about Opus Dei, or anything else, in my book.

That’s some wicked anti-Semitism, right in the first paragraph about what they believe about 9/11:

“Disclaimer regarding the use of the word “Senator” in conjunction to Norman Coleman in this article which provides insights into the real story behind 9/11. “Senator” Norman Coleman is a Jew, and therefore by immutable Roman Catholic Church teaching is ineligible to lawfully exercise public office in any State/Country…”

[Yes, I know I’m bumping a two year old thread. I’ve returned after a year absence and am checking out my old threads. This is one I have renewed interest in, as I am once again pondering checking out Opus Dei.]
 
there is a good book by John Allen of the National Catholic Reporter (not a likely candidate for the Opus Dei fan club roll) in which he closely examines the group and ends up with a surprisingly favourable opinion of them. :eek:
Due to your recommendation, and after reading the Amazon reviews, I just ordered it! 👍 Looks like a good and balanced place to start.
 
My dear banned friend:(

They are a saint making machine to cut it short. They are showing laymen how to become saints in the midst of ordinary life in the modern world. St Josemaria will be declared a doctor of the church one day for what he’s done I’m convinced.

God bless all:thumbsup:😉
 
I don’t have an extensive knowledge of Opus Dei. However, I do know that I am drawn to the Tuesday evening confessions at our parish when the Opus Dei priests hear them. I usually have one whom I have adopted as my father confessor. When the other one substitutes for him, he is just as gentle and extremely helpful. The Opus Dei priests have given me solutions to complex situations and have done so quickly, with awe-inspiring kindness. They have said exactly the right things at the right time to me. 👍 They are heroes in a world which sorely needs spiritual heroes. As such, they will of course be misunderstood by many; but I for one would trust them with my life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top