What does RCIA stand for?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Intercessor55
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Intercessor55

Guest
I know it is an indoctrination into the Catholic faith. I think you start in the fall and join the church at Easter, when you take communion for the first time. The parish near me said I couldn’t come unless I was sure I wanted to become a Catholic. It is only for people serious about converting. I have started praying the rosary and reading the church Fathers. I am taking baby steps. My family and friends would seriously persecute me if I went to RCIA now, but I’d like to in the future. Comments???
 
. My family and friends would seriously persecute me if I went to RCIA now, but I’d like to in the future. Comments???
What age are you? Do you have outside income so as to live independently if required? How serious are you in becoming a Catholic?

I was lucky. I am in RCIA, to be confirmed at the next easter Vigil. Age 62, good job, AND a supportive family.
 
What does RCIA stand for???

I am a fourth generation protestant minister (I resigned my ordination some years ago). I take care of my parents who are retired pastors, and who would be devastated if I converted to Catholicism- why “they aren’t even Christians!” I am being drawn, though. A year ago I was angry and arguing against Catholicism and now I am defending and feeling drawn to it. Day before yesterday I received a rosary in the mail with instructions and prayed, when a year ago I would have felt stupid just holding a rosary. It was wonderful. Not sure what’s going on. I’m at Catholic.com and reading the church Fathers.

Married to a non-believer (2nd marriage) who thinks Catholics are a bit nuts.

Intercessor 55
 
I am a fourth generation protestant minister (I resigned my ordination some years ago). I take care of my parents who are retired pastors, and who would be devastated if I converted to Catholicism- why “they aren’t even Christians!” I am being drawn, though. A year ago I was angry and arguing against Catholicism and now I am defending and feeling drawn to it. Day before yesterday I received a rosary in the mail with instructions and prayed, when a year ago I would have felt stupid just holding a rosary. It was wonderful. Not sure what’s going on. I’m at Catholic.com and reading the church Fathers.

Married to a non-believer (2nd marriage) who thinks Catholics are a bit nuts.

Intercessor 55
I am reminded of a saying in Spanish -

Caminante, no hay camino. El camino se hace caminando.

Not a native speaker, but I think this translates as :

Traveler, there is no road. You make the road by walking it.

You have found a good place to walk this road at catholic.com. It sounds to me like you are on a good path. I will be praying for you, and I know there will be many others.
 
search on the evangelization forum on RCIA and there are some great threads with what you need to know.

rule 1, when you call a CAtholic parish, try to get past the secretary and talk to the person who actually is in charge of the are in which you have a concern. RCIA has as its first stage Inquiry, which is exactly where you are, learning more. It can be informal, or a class with others, but it is just that asking questions and getting answers. It should be open to anyone any time of year. If not, keep calling parishes till you find one that has an inquiry class.
 
I know it is an indoctrination into the Catholic faith. I think you start in the fall and join the church at Easter, when you take communion for the first time. The parish near me said I couldn’t come unless I was sure I wanted to become a Catholic. It is only for people serious about converting. I have started praying the rosary and reading the church Fathers. I am taking baby steps. My family and friends would seriously persecute me if I went to RCIA now, but I’d like to in the future. Comments???
Welcome to the forum and welcome home. It’s actually an indoctrination to the Christian faith, but the Catholic faith is the Christian faith, so same thing. Being a (former) minister you’re way ahead of the game. I’d recommend a rather well written book “ Triumph” by H. W. Crocker. I found it to be a well written, objective, historical, book. I would recommend taking your time, study seriously, look at history (which you obviously are). As Pope John Paul II was fond of saying “be not afraid”.
 
Intercessor55,

Besides this great website, you could also check out this one at the same time:

chnetwork.org/
The CHNetwork is operated by many staff members who are themselves converts, and would be happy to discuss any theological questions you might have. We want to help you learn more about the Catholic Church, and help you discover the wonderful treasures that it contains.
 
May the Lord be glorified! And may the heavens rejoice! Welcome Home Intercessor55 we will pray for you and for your family. Alex Jones said: “No price’ too High” when it comes to saying Yes to God’s call. So keep up the good work 👍 Have you checked this site? chnetwork.org/ it has lot of good info. I used to take my faith for granted, and took the Church for granted for so many years, I had such a poor knowledge of the teachings of the Church and the scriptures that I would hide when people talked religion around me. But then I heard Tim Staples, Stephen Ray, Alex Jones and the other Ministers converts, and they took my breath away they made me thirst for scriptures , for reading the teachings of the Church and understanding the mass. My life has never been the same again. I found the splendor of God within our Church through and through. I consider them along with you, to be precious Jewels that the Lord has knitted, molded, polished and released as a gift to the Catholic Church. You bring so much to the Church your evangelization just emblazes the hearts where ever you go. Of course you have not been even to Rcia yet, but I know in my heart that you are among those hand picked by the Lord himself to participate in his plan. We shall pray for you, for the Lord to give you the strength to bare the weight of what ever adversity comes you way; and follow him home. 🙂

God Bless.

Lovingly, in Christ.
 
You are all such a blessing! You give me courage. Thank you so much. Everything I have learned so far has enriched and confirmed my faith. It’s very exciting.

Intercessor 55
 
P.S. I have marked the Coming Home Network as a favorite place and I’m looking into the book mentioned above. Thank you.

Intercessor 55
 
I know it is an indoctrination into the Catholic faith. I think you start in the fall and join the church at Easter, when you take communion for the first time. The parish near me said I couldn’t come unless I was sure I wanted to become a Catholic. It is only for people serious about converting. I have started praying the rosary and reading the church Fathers. I am taking baby steps. My family and friends would seriously persecute me if I went to RCIA now, but I’d like to in the future. Comments???
I was told when I started RCIA that it is the steps to take to become Catholic. I was also told that if at any point, I can decide that this isn’t for me. They can’t make you stay. I really have enjoyed my classes and I have learned more than I thought I would. My family is being far from supportive. I know how it can feel to have your family say you are doing the wrong thing. You eventually have to look inside yourself and decide what God wants you to do…Not what everyone expects you to do.
 
I know it is an indoctrination into the Catholic faith. I think you start in the fall and join the church at Easter, when you take communion for the first time. The parish near me said I couldn’t come unless I was sure I wanted to become a Catholic.*** It is only for people serious about converting.*** I have started praying the rosary and reading the church Fathers. I am taking baby steps. My family and friends would seriously persecute me if I went to RCIA now, but I’d like to in the future. Comments???
"It is only for people serious about converting."

I disagree with the above claim. It is for anyone serious about inquiring into the Catholic faith. There is an inquiriy period for that purpose. My wife attended RCIA twice without converting. (She ended up converting later).

See here for more info about RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (RCIA): What is RCIA?
 
Hi Intercessor 55;

Dave’s right, perhaps just make an appointment with the RCIA director, mind you it’s a little late in the year right now but you could certainly dicuss next fall. At our Parish here you would be welcome to sit in even at this late date.

Before I joined the Church I was just looking for a Christian discussion group and inquired at a Christian counselling centre. A day or so later I got a call from a wonderfull woman who invited me to sit in with their group. With my job I couldn’t make it every week but did when I could. She invited me again the next year and I happily agreed.

It wasn’t until 2/3’s through this second year I was told this was actually RCIA, I had no clue!! … as it turned out, I joined the Church that Easter.

Ken
 
…I am a fourth generation protestant minister …
If you are already Christian by virtue of a valid baptism, and living a Christian life, then RCIA is not for you.

See: [catholic.com/library/How_to_Become_a_Catholic.asp"]How to Become a Catholic]("http://forums.catholic-questions.org/)

According to the U.S. Conference of Bishops, National Statutes for the Catechumenate (NSC), Nov. 11, 1986:
“Those baptized persons who have lived as Christians and need only instruction in the Catholic tradition and a degree of probation within the Catholic community should not be asked to undergo a full program parallel to the catechumenate” (NSC 31).

“[t]he reception of candidates into the communion of the Catholic Church should ordinarily take place at the Sunday Eucharist of the parish community, in such a way that it is understood that they are indeed Christian believers who have already shared in the sacramental life of the Church and are now welcomed into the Catholic Eucharistic community . . .” (NSC 32).

"It is preferable that reception into full communion not take place at the Easter Vigil lest there be any confusion of such baptized Christians with the candidates for baptism, possible misunderstanding of or even reflection upon the sacrament of baptism celebrated in another church or ecclesial community . . . " (NSC 33).
 
What does RCIA stand for???

I am a fourth generation protestant minister (I resigned my ordination some years ago). I take care of my parents who are retired pastors, and who would be devastated if I converted to Catholicism- why “they aren’t even Christians!” I am being drawn, though. A year ago I was angry and arguing against Catholicism and now I am defending and feeling drawn to it. Day before yesterday I received a rosary in the mail with instructions and prayed, when a year ago I would have felt stupid just holding a rosary. It was wonderful. Not sure what’s going on. I’m at Catholic.com and reading the church Fathers.

Married to a non-believer (2nd marriage) who thinks Catholics are a bit nuts.

Intercessor 55
It sounds to me like you might bebefit from reading Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic by David Currie

An excellent book even if you are not from a fundamentalist background. It is the book Mr Currie wrote to his father (who was also a protestant minister) to explain the reasons for his conversion. Very Gentle and loving in its approach to a difficult subject.

(I should ask for a cut from this book, I recommend it so often … and it has done great things for the people I have given it to)
 
I know it is an indoctrination into the Catholic faith. I think you start in the fall and join the church at Easter, when you take communion for the first time. The parish near me said I couldn’t come unless I was sure I wanted to become a Catholic. It is only for people serious about converting. I have started praying the rosary and reading the church Fathers. I am taking baby steps. My family and friends would seriously persecute me if I went to RCIA now, but I’d like to in the future. Comments???
Most RCIA programs don’t require that you already know you want to become Catholic. Usually, they pitch exactly the opposite approach - come and learn, but no pressure.

It seems that RCIA programs are moving to a 1 or 2 year, year round format. The 9 month “school calendar” approach seems to be on the way out. I’ve been involved in both, and it seems to me that the school calendar approach works better, but I’m keeping an open mind.

In terms of RCIA programs - some are great. Some are dismal (I know, I was in charge of one of those for a while). If you need to, look around.

God bless your journey, and I’ll add you to my prayer list as well 🙂
 
Hello!
I have been in RCIA since last September and quickly decided to convert. RCIA groups should not just comprise people who are sure that they want to convert since the minimum time to convert is the 8 months. Some people take years and this is fine. If you are not sure but are interested take your time and find a group that is open to all.

love and prayers
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top