What Does the UN Do?

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

Columnist Cal Thomas asks:

What is the United States getting for its money? We pay 22 percent of the U.N. budget, but get 100 percent of the grief from nations who hate us and what we stand for. The League of Nations failed for many of the same reasons the U.N. is failing. The League and the U.N. are based on a flawed philosophy that believes humans are basically good. There is ample contemporary and historical evidence to the contrary.

John Danforth, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, announced that he is leaving after just five months in the job. This kind and decent man saw firsthand the futility of trying to persuade the U.N. to stop the genocide in Sudan. In a conversation with Jon Sawyer of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Danforth spoke of his success in getting the Security Council to meet in Nairobi to discuss Sudan. Representatives of the Sudanese government and the main rebel group signed a memorandum promising to conclude final peace talks by Dec. 31.

Yet, as Danforth thought about his recent diplomatic trip to Nairobi to negotiate a deal between rebels and the Sudanese government, he seemed to be more aware than ever of the U.N.'s shortcomings. “What’s the Security Council?” he said to Sawyer. “It is the only real power within the United Nations and it’s a very weak power.” The council’s strength, he said, is “the ability to put real problems front and center,” but the body’s weakness - its system of vetoes and super majorities - prevents it from using its power to “actually act.”

jewishworldreview.com/cols/thomas1.asp

Tell us something we don’t already know. I have been making the claim for a couple of years that we need to disenfranchise ourselves from that defunct body and ask them to leave the US. The UN building in New York is prime real estate, could be put to much better use, even if it was turned into a landfill.

40.png
Emmy:
As far as I know the US is behind payments on the UN.

Emmy
Who cares, have we received any value for what we already HAVE paid for?

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Why can’t we kick them out of the country?
They seem to be interferring with our national policies and interests.
Maybe they could move to…oh let’s see…maybe France!

What does the UN do…in grammer it means to take apart, as in untie, or undo. In this case UN means to cause chaos for the U.S.!

The UN is a very ineffective group.

Currently the security council is made up of 15 members, 5 permanent and 10 others that sit for a 2 year period.

Each member has one vote. Decisions on procedural matters are made by an affirmative vote of at least nine of the 15 members.

Decisions on substantive matters require nine votes, including the concurring votes of all five permanent members. This is the rule of “great Power unanimity”, often referred to as the “veto” power.

So this means that if one of the 5 permanent members (China, France, Russian Federation, United Kingdom, United States) votes no then the issue is dead.

Now Germany, Japan, India, and Brazil are pushing to become permanet members with the veto power.

Wasn’t it the actions of Germany and Japan that helped the world in deciding to form the UN?

What does it do??

Make ex post facto statements. Hold tea parties. Excuse those who hate and kill, criticize those who won’t, safely knowing there won’t be any repercussions.

Any questions??

40.png
Edwin1961:
Why can’t we kick them out of the country?
They seem to be interferring with our national policies and interests.
Maybe they could move to…oh let’s see…maybe France!

What does the UN do…in grammer it means to take apart, as in untie, or undo. In this case UN means to cause chaos for the U.S.!
Maybe they should make a sight modification of their name from United Nations to Untied Nations.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Maybe they should make a sight modification of their name from United Nations to Untied Nations.
Very good Scott, I should have seen that one while I put my post up there. Good eye, good eye! :cool:

40.png
jlw:
What does it do??

Make ex post facto statements. Hold tea parties. Excuse those who hate and kill, criticize those who won’t, safely knowing there won’t be any repercussions.

Any questions??
What does it do?

It allows people to exploit its programs to make money for themselves and despots. It allows the children of its members to earn money while helping to provide spoiled food to the hungry.

For those of you who don’t know, or do not wish to know, I am talking about the Food for Oil program which allowed the Secretary General’s son to exploit the program and make money off it. That also provided Saddam Hussin with bribe money. That also provided spoiled food for the hungry in Iraq.

And lets not forget how it continues to turn a blind eye to genocide.

40.png
jlw:
What does it do??

Any questions??
What does it do?

It allows people to exploit its programs to make money for themselves and despots. It allows the children of its members to earn money while helping to provide spoiled food to the hungry.

For those of you who don’t know, or do not wish to know, I am talking about the Food for Oil program which allowed the Secretary General’s son to exploit the program and make money off it. That also provided Saddam Hussin with bribe money. That also provided spoiled food for the hungry in Iraq.

As long as the UN does as we direct then it is a great organization. When they don’t see eye to eye with us then we think that our membership is wasted… have we paid our dues for the last 3 years yet?

If they don’t play our game, we sit and pout…

I propose we form a new organization called “The League of Democracies”.

It’s tag line can be “No Tyrannical Totalitarians Allowed” 🙂

I have some alternate titles we could more aptly rename the group.

League of Notions
Derided Nations
United Nepotists
Bribed Nations
United Nayshuns
Uninvited Nations

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
I have some alternate titles we could more aptly rename the group.

League of Notions
Derided Nations
United Nepotists
Bribed Nations
United Nayshuns
Uninvited Nations
Maybe we should have done what happened with the League of Nations! Wilson helped form it and the US never became a member.

40.png
Emmy:
As far as I know the US is behind payments on the UN.

Emmy
I certainly hope so - I’d like’em to just leave and if they want to use “non payment of dues” that’s all right with me. Just git up and go.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Gives new meaning to those terms we heard of a " coalition of the bribed and coerced" - uh huh. 😃

space ghost:
As long as the UN does as we direct then it is a great organization. When they don’t see eye to eye with us then we think that our membership is wasted… have we paid our dues for the last 3 years yet?

If they don’t play our game, we sit and pout…
I hope we never give them another cent and we should start impounding all the illegally parked cars with diplomatic plates. We should make them pay or lose their car just like evryone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back