What does this mean?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mdrummer5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdrummer5

Guest
I was reading the Bible last night and came across this

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law aginast her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the member of his household.”

It’s from Matthew and as I’m still very ignorant on how to reference the Bible I can’t get anymore specific than that.
 
from the Haydock Bible Commentary

I came not to send, &c. That is, dissension and war, in order that the false peace of sinners may be destroyed, and that those who follow me, may differ in morals and affections from the followers of this world. The sword, therefore, is the gospel, which separates those parents who remain in infidelity, &c. &c. &c. (Menochius) — It must be observed, that the gospel does not necessarily of itself produce dissensions amongst men, but that Christ foresaw, from the depravity of man’s heart, that dissensions would follow the propagation of the gospel. The blame of this, however, does not attach to the gospel itself, since those who embrace it, after their conversion sought more than ever to keep peace with all men, even with their most bitter persecutors; whilst those who rejected the gospel, forgetting even the ties of kindred, persecuted even to death the followers of Christ. (Haydock) — Send peace, &c. Indeed before Christ became man, there was no sword upon the earth; that is, the spirit had not to fight with so much violence against the flesh; but when he became man, he shewed us what things were of the flesh, and what of the spirit, and taught us to set these two at variance, by renouncing always those of the flesh, which constantly endeavour to get master over us, and follow the dictates of the spirit. (Origen)

notice what I highlighted in red. The Gospel is the word. He came to get the word out that he is the Word and the savior. He didn’t come so that everyone would agree with him, but to let the world know who he is and what his purpose is
 
Jesus is saying that you are going to have to take a side between following God or following the world. There will be objections to the faith, and it can even happen in your own family. It’s similar to His saying “you cannot serve two masters”.

Warning: Critics of Christianity like to strawman this passage, claiming that Jesus is inciting violence. This is not true.
 
I was reading the Bible last night and came across this

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law aginast her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the member of his household.”

It’s from Matthew and as I’m still very ignorant on how to reference the Bible I can’t get anymore specific than that.
Ver. 34. I came not to send, &c. That is, dissension and war, in order that the false peace of sinners may be destroyed, and that those who follow me, may differ in morals and affections from the followers of this world. The sword, therefore, is the gospel, which separates those parents who remain in infidelity, &c. &c. &c. (Menochius) — It must be observed, that the gospel does not necessarily of itself produce dissensions amongst men, but that Christ foresaw, from the depravity of man’s heart, that dissensions would follow the propagation of the gospel. The blame of this, however, does not attach to the gospel itself, since those who embrace it, after their conversion sought more than ever to keep peace with all men, even with their most bitter persecutors; whilst those who rejected the gospel, forgetting even the ties of kindred, persecuted even to death the followers of Christ. (Haydock) — Send peace, &c. Indeed before Christ became man, there was no sword upon the earth; that is, the spirit had not to fight with so much violence against the flesh; but when he became man, he shewed us what things were of the flesh, and what of the spirit, and taught us to set these two at variance, by renouncing always those of the flesh, which constantly endeavour to get master over us, and follow the dictates of the spirit. (Origen)
 
It means that not everyone will agree with you if you follow Christ. It will not be an easy life to be Catholic, as living according to God’s laws is not the way of the world, and many will be against you - sometimes even your own family.

~Liza
 
Jesus is saying that you are going to have to take a side between following God or following the world. There will be objections to the faith, and it can even happen in your own family. It’s similar to His saying “you cannot serve two masters”.

Warning: Critics of Christianity like to strawman this passage, claiming that Jesus is inciting violence. This is not true.
Thank you… that’s kinda what I figured. Honestly I can see where critics would get that idea because if taken literally it would certainly seem so.
 
I would add to this that Christ is stating that his main purpose or priority is not to promote peace, but rather to draw men to himself. Sometimes the choices that we make to follow Christ will separate us from the ones that are closest to us, but it is much more important to follow Him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top