What does this mean?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rdscheirer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rdscheirer

Guest
Have the NAB and reading the Preface to the New Testament it uses the word “anacoluthon” - cannot find this term in a standard dictionary. What does it mean?
 
From Answers.com:
An abrupt change within a sentence to a second construction inconsistent with the first, sometimes used for rhetorical effect; for example, I warned him that if he continues to drink, what will become of him?

Read more: answers.com/topic/anacoluthon#ixzz1PCZoQAp0

From about.com:

A syntactic interruption or deviation: that is, an abrupt change in a sentence from one construction to another which is grammatically inconsistent with the first. Plural: anacolutha. Also known as a syntactic blend.

From merriam-webster.com:

Definition of ANACOLUTHON
: syntactical inconsistency or incoherence within a sentence; especially : a shift in an unfinished sentence from one syntactic construction to another (as in “you really ought—well, do it your own way”)
 
Have the NAB and reading the Preface to the New Testament it uses the word “anacoluthon” - cannot find this term in a standard dictionary. What does it mean?
The RSV-CE is a far superior rendition of Sacred Scripture in English and the commentary is faithful to Authentic Catholic teaching.
 
Thank you all- I majored in Physics- although I got A’s in English I never really took to it- some of the comments on CAF when they use linguistic terms leave me in the lurch.

Bob
 
Thank you all- I majored in Physics- although I got A’s in English I never really took to it- some of the comments on CAF when they use linguistic terms leave me in the lurch.

Bob
Hi Bob

Get thee an UN-abridged dictionary. Many collegiate dictionaries are abridged, aka readers’ digest versions.

It’s odd that a science major has difficulties with latin because doesn’t your profession rely on a lot of foundation theories from what we would call antiquity. Even quantum mechanics uses very high level vocabulary.

Anyway, glad you are studying the bible.
 
Never had Latin- wish I did-my soon to be SR in high school took 2 yrs-9and 10 but then her Guidance counselor told her she didn’t need it and to take 2 AP courses as a Jr. Well that didn’t work out cause she’s brilliant but has lots of “inertia”- missed dedadlines etc so she did not do well in either course- although as far as we can tell from the printout from the school she passed both and could get credit. But who cares she wants to do Photography! She wants to go to SCAD-Savannah College of Art and Design- Hong Kong campus! Did a summer program last year in Savannah and loved it- has also done Duke TIPS program for 4 yrs- smart and artsy. I’ll tell you there’s a great difference between the kids in the Duke TIPs (top 2%) of kids vs those at SCAD- dress, demeanor, and attitude. I had never seen 15 yr old white kids with tatoos until we dropped her off at SCAD summer program!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top