O
OnTheRock
Guest
I’m trying to understand precisely how and to what nature our Atonement was merited by the Sacrifice on Calvary.
I keep hearing, “Ransom”, “Redemption”, “Atonement” and “In Our Place”, with very little explanation given to the meanings, consequences, and basis of each idea, let alone which is genuinely Catholic.
It seems that RCC and NCC have conflicting views on the Theory of Atonement, with RCCs suggesting that Christ paid the ransom to free us from the bondage of sin, while NCCs suggesting that Christ suffered and died “in our place” (usher in the “Saved” theology). The views appear contradictory because a ransom would not provide a guarantee whereas a penal substitution atonement would. However, I’ve heard from multiple sources that RCCs and NCCs are supposed to hold similar views on the matter. This doesn’t add up for me.
Furthermore, when I analyze both sides, I find the NCC theory to fall to reason; among other things, Jesus could not have “suffered for us” (I.e. in our place) because this would entail an eternal separation from God in Hell, which is impossible because of the Oneness of their nature.
However, it would seem that the NCC theory is suggested by Scripture whereas I find little support for the RCC theory. Such verses as the Suffering Servant in Isaiah imply that Jesus is suffering so that we don’t have to, “our sufferings that he endured” (Isaiah 53:4).
I also have a footnote in my NAB on Leviticus 17:11 speaking of sacrifices for atonement, “Since the life of a living body is in its blood, I have made you put it one the altar, so that atonement may thereby be made for your own lives, because it is the blood, as the seat of life, that makes atonement” with the footnote reading “That atonement may thereby be made for your own lives: hence, the sacrifice of an animal was a symbolic act which substituted the victim’s life for the life of the offerer, who thus acknowledged that he deserved God’s punishments for his sins.”
If this sacrifice of the lamb in the OT was a prefigurement of the Sacrifice of Jesus, then would it not fall to reason that Jesus acted in our place? But then of course, I have difficulty understanding that Jesus suffered in our stead, and yet we must still suffer, die, and possibly pay the price of eternal damnation.
If anyone is able, I would like to understand this in terms of the Paschal Sacrifice, as well as what is individually taught by both Catholics and Protestants. A strong Biblical, historical, and well reasoned explanation is what I’m looking for
I hope I haven’t misrepresented anyone’s beliefs. I’m still learning here
I keep hearing, “Ransom”, “Redemption”, “Atonement” and “In Our Place”, with very little explanation given to the meanings, consequences, and basis of each idea, let alone which is genuinely Catholic.
It seems that RCC and NCC have conflicting views on the Theory of Atonement, with RCCs suggesting that Christ paid the ransom to free us from the bondage of sin, while NCCs suggesting that Christ suffered and died “in our place” (usher in the “Saved” theology). The views appear contradictory because a ransom would not provide a guarantee whereas a penal substitution atonement would. However, I’ve heard from multiple sources that RCCs and NCCs are supposed to hold similar views on the matter. This doesn’t add up for me.
Furthermore, when I analyze both sides, I find the NCC theory to fall to reason; among other things, Jesus could not have “suffered for us” (I.e. in our place) because this would entail an eternal separation from God in Hell, which is impossible because of the Oneness of their nature.
However, it would seem that the NCC theory is suggested by Scripture whereas I find little support for the RCC theory. Such verses as the Suffering Servant in Isaiah imply that Jesus is suffering so that we don’t have to, “our sufferings that he endured” (Isaiah 53:4).
I also have a footnote in my NAB on Leviticus 17:11 speaking of sacrifices for atonement, “Since the life of a living body is in its blood, I have made you put it one the altar, so that atonement may thereby be made for your own lives, because it is the blood, as the seat of life, that makes atonement” with the footnote reading “That atonement may thereby be made for your own lives: hence, the sacrifice of an animal was a symbolic act which substituted the victim’s life for the life of the offerer, who thus acknowledged that he deserved God’s punishments for his sins.”
If this sacrifice of the lamb in the OT was a prefigurement of the Sacrifice of Jesus, then would it not fall to reason that Jesus acted in our place? But then of course, I have difficulty understanding that Jesus suffered in our stead, and yet we must still suffer, die, and possibly pay the price of eternal damnation.
If anyone is able, I would like to understand this in terms of the Paschal Sacrifice, as well as what is individually taught by both Catholics and Protestants. A strong Biblical, historical, and well reasoned explanation is what I’m looking for
I hope I haven’t misrepresented anyone’s beliefs. I’m still learning here