What exactly do you do during adoration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Meggie18
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Meggie18

Guest
The title says it all! šŸ™‚

I wrote a post three days ago in the Family Life forum wich brought several people to point out that it might do me some good to go to adoration. The problem is that I converted fully about two years ago, and during that short period of time, I went to adoration only two or three times, and I wasn’t sure what to do or how to act. I was too shy to ask anyone… Do you just close your eyes and pray in front of the Blessed sacrament? Or do you try not to think and just to look at it? Help!

Thank you!

Meggie
 
I sit there and talk to Jesus, just like I would talk to any one of my other friends,
although all the talking is done in my head!! šŸ˜‰
 
I do 3 things when I go to adoration
  1. I pray. For me praying is just talking to the Lord. I talk to him like He is my Best Friend…and He is
  2. I pray the Rosary. I go to adoration often, and since most of the time I don’t really know which Mysterys to pray, I have simply starts rotating. I week the Joyful Mysteries, the next the Sorrowful Mysteries…etc. The only time I vary from this is during Advent when I only pray the Joyful Mysteries, Lent when I pray the Sorrowful, and Easter when I pray the Luminous
  3. I sit, with my eyes closed, and I listen for the Lord to speak back to me.
The quiet and peacefulness of the chapel is wonderful.
 
I do 3 things when I go to adoration
  1. I pray. For me praying is just talking to the Lord. I talk to him like He is my Best Friend…and He is
  2. I pray the Rosary. I go to adoration often, and since most of the time I don’t really know which Mysterys to pray, I have simply starts rotating. I week the Joyful Mysteries, the next the Sorrowful Mysteries…etc. The only time I vary from this is during Advent when I only pray the Joyful Mysteries, Lent when I pray the Sorrowful, and Easter when I pray the Luminous
  3. I sit, with my eyes closed, and I listen for the Lord to speak back to me.
The quiet and peacefulness of the chapel is wonderful.
Do you hear Him speak to you? I often talk to Him in prayer, but when the time comes to actually listen, I can’t seem to concentrate, and the few times that I’m able to, I don’t hear anything. I sometimes feel more peaceful, but I’m not sure that I can say it’s His doing…
 
I talk to Him directly, in my head, if I can. Sometimes it’s hard to put into words what I’m feeling, or I can’t really think of something to say, so I just sit there in silence with Him. It’s like when you’re sitting with your best friend outside, enjoying the silence, not really needing to talk because you just enjoy each other’s presence.

I’ve only heard actual words in my mind that I ā€œknewā€ to be God speaking maybe 3 times in my life. As for the rest, usually you can tell that Jesus is communicating things to you by a very peaceful feeling coming over you and some new answers or ideas calmly entering your mind that hadn’t occured to you before. This usually only starts happening to me when I’ve been in front of the Blessed Sacrament for at least 45 minutes. It takes me at least 30 minutes to get restlessness and distractions out of my head. Most of the time I put my head down on the pew in front of me and try to just relax with Jesus until I feel peaceful enough to start having a real, calm conversation with Him.
 
All of the above.

At the beginning, I usually kneel, and ask for the grace to be present, focused, attentive. Sometimes are better than others. I acknowledge His greatness. I thank Him for the things He has given me, has done for me. I express my sorrow for the ways in which I have failed.

I will sometimes read prayers (Liturgy of the Hours) or reflections. Sometimes I will hear God speaking to me there.

Sometimes I will just sit and try to be quiet. Sometimes I hear a still, quiet voice…sometimes not.

Often I will take my journal, for it seems that is where it is easiest for me to hear God. I write, I ask, I listen, I write.

Sometimes I go with the purpose of doing an examination of conscience prior to going to confession. I ask Jesus to help me see, I may go through a list of questions, and I write.

Before I leave, I will kneel again for prayer. An Act of Contrition usually makes it’s way in there somewhere.

Sometimes I hear God, sometimes I don’t feel like I do. But always it is good. I think the most important thing is to be open.

A personal story??

Last summer I was taking someone’s place at the Adoration Chapel. I wasn’t really going for any purpose, except to fill in the hour. Nothing was pressing in my life, had been to confession a couple of weeks earlier. Life was pretty good.

I had prayed the 7 Sorrows Rosary earlier in the week, and one of the blessings promised was the grace of ā€œcomplete repentanceā€ or some such thing. I thought to myself at the time, ā€œYeah, that’s what I want.ā€

I sat down at Adoration with no real direction and pulled out a book I had recently picked up about Our Lady of Kibeho. In it, Mary speaks to her children about how to pray. So I followed along, writing in my journal as I prayed. I got to the part about acknowledging my sins. That was where the Lord decided to speak. I have often struggled with what to say in the confessional. Let me tell you, when I left that day, I had quite a list.

It wasn’t what I went there seeking…I didn’t really go seeking anything…but it was if my prayer from earlier in the week was answered right there. Used to the timelines of the world, I had figured it would take longer to process. šŸ˜‰

End of the story…I went to confession the next weekend - even though it was a little sooner than *my *once-a-month preference. (Perhaps the Lord was inviting me there sooner.) Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It’s been 2 weeks since my last confession, and it wasn’t my idea to be back here again so soon. I went to the ā€œlittle chapelā€. The Lord spoke, and I took notes. And I brought them with me…
 
I read a response to this question once upon a time that stuck with me . . . the older gentleman said something along the lines of ā€œI sit with Jesus. He sits with me. And we are both happy.ā€
 
ā€œWhat exactly do you do during adoration?ā€

Pray.

:highprayer:
 
Meggie -

I usually feel calm and peaceful after an hour in adoration. Only once can I truly say I know the Lord spoke to me. For nearly 20yrs I have identified myself as a ā€œwhoreā€. My Priest and many others have told me that I certainly am not a ā€œwhoreā€ however when I looked into the mirror all I saw was sin.

1 Saturday while at adoration, after praying and while I was sitting quietly, I came to know and fully believe that I was no ā€œwhoreā€. I felt loved completely and fully by the Lord, and from that experience I found the strenght and power to stop sleeping around, stop engaging in dirty ā€œchatsā€, to demand respect from others and to never allow myself to be used as a play thing again.

Adoration is very powerful
 
Eucharistic Adoration is the worship of Jesus Christ who is truly present in the tabernacle’s and the monstrance’s throughtout the world.The "Source and Summit "of the Catholic Church is the Eucharist!

Pope BenedictXII said" The act of Adoration outside of mass prolongs and intensifies all that takes place at mass".
Adoration is simply an extension of the Holy Mass.

Adoration gives us time to spend one on one with our Lord. We can pray to Him , talk to Him, or just be with Him. You can answers Jesus request in the garden of Gethsemane
ā€œSo could you not watch with me one hour.ā€ Mt: 26:40

During Adoration I talk to Jesus and wait for Him to talk back to me thru His Silence!
 
Imaganin, you are in the presence of Jesus. What do you want to ask him? What problem do you have that he cannot help you with? How can you show him you love him more? Who in your life needs prayers more than yourself? Offer these things to him.
He will give you peace, after awhile of just being in his presence I have the most wonderful fealing of peace.
God bless,
 
I dump all my troubles on Jesus. He’s better than any therapist!
 
I read a response to this question once upon a time that stuck with me . . . the older gentleman said something along the lines of "I sit with Jesus. He sits with me. And we are both happy."
That’s amazing šŸ™‚

Thank you all for sharing. I must say that now I know exactly what to do and how to act during adoration! I’ve learned much! May God truly bless all of you!!
 
While on vacation with my (Catholic) wife a few years ago, we came across a shrine that she wanted to stop and visit. As it happened, they were having adoration in the lower chapel. She wanted to stay for awhile, and since it was pouring rain outside, I sat with her. Luckily I had my ipod with me. I listened to music.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top