What exactly happens when a priest blesses you?

• Thread starter Thread starter MichelleTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MichelleTherese

A stupid question, I know. But it’s something that I’ve always wondered:

What exactly happens when a Priest blesses you???

40.png
A.Pelliccio:
And do u just ask" father bless me?"
Well…Sometimes people DO ask for a priest’s blessing, for one reason or another…Usualy it is a special event, or maybe a leave-taking of some sort…

What exactly happens when a Priest blesses you???
Well, it depends on the blessing. A priest can bless you in many different ways, which are outlined in the Church’s Book of Blessings. The thing to remember is that a blessing is not an incantation or a spell. It is simply a prayer, often accompanied by the use of a sacramental (like Holy Water), which requests God’s Grace for a specific purpose.
And do u just ask" father bless me?"
You can. In other instances there are church-wide blessings. My church blesses mothers on Mothers’ Day, expectant mothers on a certain day of each month, pets on the feast day of St. Francis, throats on the feast day of St. Blaise. I’m sure there are more that I can’t remember right now.

the same thing that happens in many ways to articles or objects that are blessed by a Priest… it becomes a sacred thing… it should be treated with respect… don’t poke holes in it, don’t tatoo it, don’t abuse it with too much wine, women and song… treat it like the temple of God that it’s supposed to be…

you were probably blessed as a baby at Baptism as a child for God, then you were blessed as you leave the confessional, when the Bishop confirms you as a soldier of God as a young adult,… i could go on and on, but remember this… you first and foremost belong to God, not yourself… so treat yourself and your neighbor as sacred articles that belong to God, and take comfort that the blessings received from his church will give you strength and guidence to presevere…

peace, and oh yeah, bless you… 👍

What I meant specifically was this: What happens when a Priest, either after Mass or upon your request, says, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” over you while making the sign of the Cross. (Blessing!)

What (if anything) is happening to me as he does this?

40.png
MichelleTherese:
What I meant specifically was this: What happens when a Priest, either after Mass or upon your request, says, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” over you while making the sign of the Cross. (Blessing!)

What (if anything) is happening to me as he does this?
A special infusion of grace to your soul, is my understanding.

Im leaving for ARMY basic this summer is that an approiate occassion to ask my priest for a blessing?

I think it would be wonderful to ask your priest for a blessing.

40.png
A.Pelliccio:
Im leaving for ARMY basic this summer is that an approiate occassion to ask my priest for a blessing?
Absolutely. I’d also wear a blessed…Saint Michael medal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back