What falls into Sacred Tradition?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Toten
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Toten

Guest
I was wondering how does the Catholic Church know what belongs in Sacred Tradition? I am sure that one could find some early Fathers that taught diffrent things. I remeber James White using the Fathers to prove Sola Scriptora in one of his debates. How does the Catholic Church know what belongs in Sacred Tradition and what doesn’t belong?
 
Jesus prays for St. Peter and gives him the ministry of confirming the brethren. It is his and his successors divinely instituted and protected job to decide definitively, what is and what is not part of the deposit of faith. He does this alone or in union with the bishops in councils or through the universal magesterium.
 
I was wondering how does the Catholic Church know what belongs in Sacred Tradition? I am sure that one could find some early Fathers that taught diffrent things. I remeber James White using the Fathers to prove Sola Scriptora in one of his debates. How does the Catholic Church know what belongs in Sacred Tradition and what doesn’t belong?
This is the definition of Tradition from the Catechism of the Catholic Church
**TRADITION: **The living transmission of the message of the Gospel in the Church. The oral preaching of the Apostles, and the written message of salvation under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit (Bible), are conserved and handed on as the deposit of faith through the apostolic succession in the Church. Both the living Tradition and the written Scriptures have their common source in the revelation of God in Jesus Christ… The theological, liturgical, disciplinary, and devotional traditions of the local churches both contain and can be distinguished from this apostolic Tradition "

We know what’s in Tradition because Jesus promised his Church he would protect it from error. Individuals can err, but the magisterium in union with the pope cannot with regard to faith or morals. We know what is in Tradition because it was has always been taught.
 
We know what’s in Tradition because Jesus promised his Church he would protect it from error. Individuals can err, but the magisterium in union with the pope cannot with regard to faith or morals. We know what is in Tradition because it was has always been taught.
What are the specific Traditions taught by the apostles not recorded in the New Testament?
 
hmmm, thought the canon was created around 390 somethin.

Did john live that long? :rolleyes:
 
I was wondering how does the Catholic Church know what belongs in Sacred Tradition? I am sure that one could find some early Fathers that taught diffrent things. I remeber James White using the Fathers to prove Sola Scriptora in one of his debates. How does the Catholic Church know what belongs in Sacred Tradition and what doesn’t belong?
Neither James White nor anyone else has proven sola scriptura because its a false doctrine.
 
This is the definition of Tradition from the Catechism of the Catholic Church
**TRADITION: **The living transmission of the message of the Gospel in the Church. The oral preaching of the Apostles, and the written message of salvation under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit (Bible), are conserved and handed on as the deposit of faith through the apostolic succession in the Church. Both the living Tradition and the written Scriptures have their common source in the revelation of God in Jesus Christ… The theological, liturgical, disciplinary, and devotional traditions of the local churches both contain and can be distinguished from this apostolic Tradition "

We know what’s in Tradition because Jesus promised his Church he would protect it from error. Individuals can err, but the magisterium in union with the pope cannot with regard to faith or morals. We know what is in Tradition because it was has always been taught.
Interesting… so who authorised the burning of Christians at the stake around 600 AD if they where found with Scripture on their person not of the Latin version ?

Please show me written word of God in Scripture, where Jesus promises to protect your Church from error ?
 
Interesting… so who authorised the burning of Christians at the stake around 600 AD if they where found with Scripture on their person not of the Latin version ?

Please show me written word of God in Scripture, where Jesus promises to protect your Church from error ?
Matt 16: 17-19

17 Jesus said to him in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.

18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
 
What are the specific Traditions taught by the apostles not recorded in the New Testament?
Specific Traditions not recorded in the New Testament? All the divinely revealed doctrines which explain the New Testament, for one thing. Like, baptism actually removes sin. John 6 actually means Christ’s body, blood, soul and divinity.

Moreover, the canon of Scripture.

Many other things I’m sure.
 
Interesting… so who authorised the burning of Christians at the stake around 600 AD if they where found with Scripture on their person not of the Latin version ?
Who knows? It surely wasn’t the Catholics. Show some valid documentation for that assertion.
Please show me written word of God in Scripture, where Jesus promises to protect your Church from error ?
The whole New Testament teaches it over and over again. The apostles led by Peter, when discerning and defining the Faith, could not error. The apostles and their successors who hold apostolic authority and are in communion with the sucessor of Peter was and is the Catholic Church authority.

Hence, the Catholic Church can not error on matters of Faith and morals.
 
Specific Traditions not recorded in the New Testament? All the divinely revealed doctrines which explain the New Testament, for one thing. Like, baptism actually removes sin. John 6 actually means Christ’s body, blood, soul and divinity.
Really, how can you possibly know? :rolleyes:
Moreover, the canon of Scripture.
They actually knew before hand the books to be written! Quite a feat! :rolleyes:
Many other things I’m sure.
Not quite the list I was hoping for. 😦
 
Really, how can you possibly know? :rolleyes:
Not sure I understand your question. Be more specific.
They actually knew before hand the books to be written! Quite a feat! :rolleyes:
I think you may have a wrong idea on what Sacred Tradition is, or how it is discerned. Sacred Tradition, or things taught by the apostles, need not be explicitly said by the apostles. For instance, I can say that the word “Trinity” as well as its definition “Three distinct persons which share the same divine essence” is never stated in Scripture and probably were never stated explicitly by the apostles. In fact, the word and definition of Trinity wasn’t stated explicitly by anyone until around 180 AD by Theophilus. Does that mean the Trinity was not taught by the apostles? Nope. They implicitly taught it, which is why the Trinity was defined as Dogma in 325 AD, and hence it is Sacred Tradition.
Not quite the list I was hoping for. 😦
If you want a list of Sacred Traditions, then go read the Dogmas of the Catholic Church. All “Dogmas” = Sacred Tradition.
 
If you want a list of Sacred Traditions, then go read the Dogmas of the Catholic Church. All “Dogmas” = Sacred Tradition.
Exactly, including those specifically laid out in Scripture, such as the Resurrection.

Because, as mentioned above, the canon of Scripture is itself a Sacred Tradition of the Church. That Matthew wrote Matthew is a Tradition nowhere stated in Scripture. . . .
 
I was wondering how does the Catholic Church know what belongs in Sacred Tradition? I am sure that one could find some early Fathers that taught diffrent things. I remeber James White using the Fathers to prove Sola Scriptora in one of his debates. How does the Catholic Church know what belongs in Sacred Tradition and what doesn’t belong?
The Church decides. The fathers are members of the Church, not vice-versa.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top