J
JPCalifornia
Guest
I saw the news about the carnival and I wanted to know what is the position of the church?
That celebration is very worldly.
That celebration is very worldly.
Rio de Janeiro in Brazil has the world’s largest Carnival. It goes on for five days, beginning the Friday before Ash Wednesday and going to Tuesday before Ash Wednesday.I saw the news about the carnival and I wanted to know what is the position of the church?
That celebration is very worldly.
I live in New orleans metro area. No the Church doesn’t intend the kind of behavior that usually gets national/worldwide attention-public drunkenness; nudity,immoral behavior etc. etc. etc.But believe it or not, that is NOT what most natives of New orleans, Louisiana or the Gulf Coast participate in.( Of Course there are some but not the majority)Mardi Gras grew to be something very worldly and is not promoted by the Church. Where I live they make a big deal out of Mardi Gras with parades and partying and much drinking. (and I don’t live in New Orleans.) This is not the mind of the Church.
It is my understanding that “Fat Tuesday” or “Shrove Tuesday” was when families cooked the meat that was available in the house, and had a bigger meal than usual, because Lent was beginning.
If anything, Mardi Gras type celebrations make a mockery of what the Church intends, and detracts from the focus of Lent.
Note that while Mardi Gras and Carnival refer to a final celebration and food, Shrove Tuesday refers to an ancient custom of confessing [being shriven of ones sins] on that day. One confessed on Tuesday, received ones sack cloth and ashes and began his penance on Ash Wednesday, and was absolved and welcomed back at the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday. In ancient times the period of penance for serious sin might extend over several Lents before one was welcomed back.. . .
It is my understanding that “Fat Tuesday” or “Shrove Tuesday” was when families cooked the meat that was available in the house, and had a bigger meal than usual, because Lent was beginning. . . …