What is a Catholic definition of wisdom?

• Thread starter Thread starter Kramgen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kramgen

The Sirach says that wisdom was made before everything else " (line 4) Before all other things wisdom was created;

and prudent understanding, from eternity.v
My understanding was that wisdom is knowledge of the world, both material and spiritually so what is wisdom then if it was made before anyone knew God (no humans/angels) and he hadn’t made anything yet?

Last edited:
We can see that one with wisdom:

Proverbs 9:10 “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”

Job 28:28 “ And he said to man, ‘Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding.’

Fears God ⬆️

Matthew 7:24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock.”

Proverbs 10:8 “The wise of heart will receive commandments, but a babbling fool will come to ruin.”

Psalm 107:43 “Let the one who is wise heed these things and ponder the loving deeds of the Lord.

And obeys God ⬆️

1 Corinthians 1:30 “And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption“

Colossians 2:2-3 “riches of the full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

And God is Wisdom, so The Word of God is wisdom, so Christ, the Word made flesh and God Himself, is Wisdom and Knowledge because He knows the Godhead fully. ⬆️

We can conclude that before anything else knew God, God knew God. So Christ and the Holy Spirit and the Father knew eachother intimately and completely. Wisdom, as I can conclude from these verses is to fear, revere, and obey God.

God always obeys the ways of God because whatever He does are His perfect ways. Now does God fear God? I have no idea (God is Love and perfect love drives out fear so maybe not? But I cannot fathom the ways of God) but the wisdom of man could very well be different than the wisdom of God. So what is wise for man may not be the completeness of God’s wisdom. I am not that wise so I really can’t say, this is my best guess!

Last edited:
But, if you want the very best and most informative bible verse about wisdom, read below. I hope you are wise enough to understand it. ⬇️

Proverbs 4:7 “The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight.”

😂😂😂😂

And God is Wisdom, so The Word of God is wisdom, so Christ, the Word made flesh and God Himself, is Wisdom and Knowledge because He knows the Godhead fully. ⬆️
I would add:
‘The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say: Behold a man that is a glutton and a wine drinker, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified by her children.’- Matthew 11:19

Ah yes. My version says “wisdom is proven right by her deeds”

Reminds me of Matthew 7:18-20: “A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.”

By our fruit, God judges us. And by the fruit of others we can see who is wise among us.

If Jesus is Wisdom, its kinda odd that it said he was “created” but the language is not very definite and the old books of the bible have odd meanings and ways of phrasing things. Obviously Jesus being created is wrong because nothing created God.

The Sirach says that wisdom was made before everything else " (line 4) Before all other things wisdom was created;

and prudent understanding, from eternity.v
My understanding was that wisdom is knowledge of the world, both material and spiritually so what is wisdom then if it was made before anyone knew God (no humans/angels) and he hadn’t made anything yet?
Modern Catholic Dictionar, Wisdom:
The intellectual virtue concerning the first or highest causes of all things.

If Jesus is Wisdom, its kinda odd that it said he was “created” but the language is not very definite and the old books of the bible have odd meanings and ways of phrasing things. Obviously Jesus being created is wrong because nothing created God.
Yes, true. Jesus is certainly not created, He is the Alpha and Omega, the Amen, eternal. It could just be the choice of wording, Sirach could be trying to simply say wisdom existed before the creation of earth?

Last edited:
Understanding of St. Augustine:

In the Beginning (in the Son, or in the Word) God created the heavens (spiritual, angelic, intelligence realities) and the earth (formless void matter having no intelligent meaning yet but formable by intelligent knowing - by wisdom, by spiritual creation, by the heavens knowing with God in his knowing).

And God said, and Wisdom said, and the Angel of ‘I AM’ said, “Light; let there be…” Oooh, and it was, and good.

“Knowing”, also known as “Wisdom”, Co-Operates with God in his Knowing to move the creation we see in intelligible movement to the known end.

Last edited:
There is basically only two types of Wisdom.

Wisdom in Earthly matters or wisdom not of this World.

It’s up to the individual which direction they choose to chase.

“For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.” … For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe."

40.png
What is a Catholic definition of wisdom? Moral Theology
The Sirach says that wisdom was made before everything else " (line 4) Before all other things wisdom was created; and prudent understanding, from eternity.v My understanding was that wisdom is knowledge of the world, both material and spiritually so what is wisdom then if it was made before anyone knew God (no humans/angels) and he hadn’t made anything yet?
According to Sacred Scripture, wisdom is one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, which are enumerated in Isaiah 11:2–3. These gifts are present in their fullness in Jesus Christ,

Last edited:
You cannot be wise in both as this would be directly contradicting God.

A person cannot call themselves wise.

Jesus never once said he was wise in any scripture. Nor any Holy Prophet.

Others may have called him wise but his own lips never said such things.

That is why we must be like children to see God’s true wisdom.

As it would be a contradiction to himself.

There is a difference between intelligence &Wisdom. Like Solomon & 2 women fighting over the baby. He could have made an intelligent decision concerning the women & the question, of Motherhood. But, he approached this from the baby’s existence. Who would love the baby & give the baby up, if the baby’s life was in question, WISDOM.

I think that line “For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God" doesn’t mean you can’t have both types of Wisdom (example: Baltasar Gracian), it just means that it can’t compare to God’s infinite knowledge.

Blessings
That gave me a headache & Tennis neck. Wisdom is a gift. Wisdom is not a gift. It is w the Holy Spirit but it concerns evil. Groan.
“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”

Whatever it is, ask for it. It is a good thing.
In Christ’s Love
Tweedlealice

I’ll put it in different words.

there are two types of wisdom. The intellectual one, and the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

The intellectual wisdom is a natural trait, related to intelligence. A wise person is the one who thinks of elevated causes, who has a deep understanding of the reality around them, and who is able to order the world around them. In the end, it is the person who use the intellect to think about the ultimate end, that is, God.

Wisdom as the gift of the Holy Ghost is supernatural. It is given to us, infused in our souls, and it perfects mainly Charity. It is on the intellect, thought, because we need to think. What it does, in short, is make us see things throught the “lens of God”. This means we see God Himself and His Creation by loving them intensely. This is the Wisdom we should aim for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back