The 7 “deadly” sins are “GRAVE MATTER” and can be Mortal Sins; that’s why they are called the Deadly Sins
The 7 deadly sins are: Pride, Envy, Lust, Anger, Gluttony, Greed and Sloth.
As many have mention Mortal Sins need to have 3 conditions meet.
1.Grave matter: The act itself is intrinsically evil and immoral
2. Full Knowledge: Person must know that it’s grave matter
3. Deliberate Consent: person freely chooses to commit the act or plan to do it.
Venial Sins are any sins that only meet one or 2 of the conditions needed for a mortal sin but do not fulfill all 3 at the same time. Or Venial Sins are minor violations of the moral law.
Example of a venial sin: Giving an obscene gesture to another driver in traffic.
Example of Mortal sin: using the Lord’s name in vain to the same driver in traffic
mortal versus venial sin (click here)
Related is this examination of conscience:
click here
Examination of conscience is good to do daily, but it’s especially good to do before confession. So this might help see the difference.
I have found another examination of conscience that lists possible mortal sins vs. possible venial sins. However I’m not posting that now, because I’m not sure of the source.
If it turns out to be a reliable source I will post it here.