What Is Contempt?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicBoy1957
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicBoy1957

Guest
Is it a sin? Is it wrong to point out someone’s evil, let’s say, “That person ran that stop sign!”, or “Attila sacked and burned villages!”?
 
Hmmm, I don’t think stating a fact can be construed as contempt. I really am not following your line of reasoning at all.
 
Hmmm, I don’t think stating a fact can be construed as contempt. I really am not following your line of reasoning at all.
I would also think so, but I thought maybe I was wrong.

Now if I seem a bit vague, it is on purpose. I mean, I don’t want to be plain, and be guilty of contempt again, if I ever was to begin with.
 
I would also think so, but I thought maybe I was wrong.

Now if I seem a bit vague, it is on purpose. I mean, I don’t want to be plain, and be guilty of contempt again, if I ever was to begin with.
You may want to talk to your priest about scrupulosity if you are often thinking you are sinning and second guessing sinning and thinking just by stating a fact you might be sinning. That level of anxiety over perceived sins may be a sign of something that needs spiritual direction.
 
You may want to talk to your priest about scrupulosity if you are often thinking you are sinning and second guessing sinning and thinking just by stating a fact you might be sinning. That level of anxiety over perceived sins may be a sign of something that needs spiritual direction.
Actually, I did not think I was being contemptuous, but rather, someone else accused me of it, and I think wrongly.

As for spiritual direction, without being too specific, let’s just say that I’ve found that finding properly equipped people that could advise me, and not vice versa, are quite rare. But I do thank you for the thought.
 
Now I think we have an example of contempt.
Okay, so, let me give some examples.

The last time I asked for an appointment, I won’t say with whom, but I was told “no”, and to look it up on the internet. Then, the person suggested someone else I could ask, someone who is known to have most grievous moral problems of their own. That was when I knew I was better off not getting an appointment with that person.

Then there’s the case of someone who was extremely willing to meet with me regularly for spiritual direction, although the person admitted to not being knowledgeable or academic about the Faith. When discussing some situations I was aware of, the person had a massive heart attack, and that was the last time I saw them, as he wound up in a nursing home after a long hospital stay. No, the heart attack was not 5 minutes later. It was when.

I still might be guilty of contempt, but would I be so in those examples?
 
Okay, so, let me give some examples.

The last time I asked for an appointment, I won’t say with whom, but I was told “no”, and to look it up on the internet. Then, the person suggested someone else I could ask, someone who is known to have most grievous moral problems of their own. That was when I knew I was better off not getting an appointment with that person.

Then there’s the case of someone who was extremely willing to meet with me regularly for spiritual direction, although the person admitted to not being knowledgeable or academic about the Faith. When discussing some situations I was aware of, the person had a massive heart attack, and that was the last time I saw them, as he wound up in a nursing home after a long hospital stay. No, the heart attack was not 5 minutes later. It was when.

I still might be guilty of contempt, but would I be so in those examples?
Spiritual directors are trained individuals not just people off the street who offer to help you even though unqualified. Spiritual Directors are typically priets, deacons, or religioius but there are lay men/women who are spiritual directors also.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top