What is exactly "demanding unnecessary work" on Sundays?

  • Thread starter Thread starter starrygirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starrygirl

Guest
I was thinking about this question and I would like to ask, what is considered to be unnecessary work and what counts as demanding? Generally, what should I avoid doing?
 
No one can say “exactly” what this is without getting into the kind of legal minutia that Jesus condemned among the Jews of the time.

Essentially each person has to consider this for themselves…As an example, let’s take mowing the lawn with a push mower

Is mowing the lawn “demanding”?..yes - especially with a push mover
Is mowing on Sunday “unnecessary”?..in most cases, probably.
Is it “work”?..This is a bit trickier. How does one define work? If I love to putter around my yard, cut grass, pull weeds, tend flowers, etc…If these things give me pleasure, do they constitute work?

Now if the Church were to formally define mowing grass as “work” to be avoided, is that fair to me who finds it to be an easy and pleasurable pastime?

My advice is to recognize that the day of rest and worship is a time to rest and reflect on God’s blessings to us. Go to Church, slow down, take your time, don’t do things that you don’t “feel like” doing, but don’t feel restricted by any “artificial” restriction…

Peace
James
 
Oh thanks! But sorry I haven’t made my question clear. I was asking demanding unnesscessary work from others.
 
Oh thanks! But sorry I haven’t made my question clear. I was asking demanding unnesscessary work from others.
Are you talking about your family? IMO, kids need to keep Sunday holy, too, but things like making your bed, doing the dishes, taking out the trash–regular chores that are necessary for clean and healthy living shouldn’t count. They can do these things, and homework, too.

If you are not talking about family, I don’t understand who you are talking about and can’t help with an answer.
 
Unnecessary work is easy to determine. First you determine our needs. Our needs are food, water, clothing, shelter and possibly warmth. They are the things essential to our survival. Every physical thing that is not one of those and any act whose purpose is not to provide that when there is an immediate lack is not truly necessary. Things that are not necessary are wants. Most of what people in modern America think they need are really a want. Much of our activity then is geared towards fulfilling wants disguised as needs. Once you realize this I think it is easier to understand how to keep Sundays.
 
I was thinking about this question and I would like to ask, what is considered to be unnecessary work and what counts as demanding? Generally, what should I avoid doing?
Oh thanks! But sorry I haven’t made my question clear. I was asking demanding unnecessary work from others.
Let’s look at what you are asking about in the context you have provided…
2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

I would say that the best answer to what you should avoid doing is to be mindful of the needs of others on this day. If something can be done another day, wait and do it then. In this way the demands on others on Sunday are lessened.
I don’t know that I can be any more specific than that.

Peace
James
 
I was thinking about this question and I would like to ask, what is considered to be unnecessary work and what counts as demanding? Generally, what should I avoid doing?
CCC 2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

It says we should not do anything that hinders the worship owed to God. It does not simply say you cannot do any kind of work or activity.
 
Oh but what about stuff like television or electricity? Obviously we need some of them, but does watching television counts as making he people at the broadcast station work? It is hard to imagine all the people working and one can go crazy thinking how to avoid demanding from them.
 
Unnecessary work is easy to determine. First you determine our needs. Our needs are food, water, clothing, shelter and possibly warmth. They are the things essential to our survival. Every physical thing that is not one of those and any act whose purpose is not to provide that when there is an immediate lack is not truly necessary. Things that are not necessary are wants. Most of what people in modern America think they need are really a want. Much of our activity then is geared towards fulfilling wants disguised as needs. Once you realize this I think it is easier to understand how to keep Sundays.
You’ve left out “rest,” which I would argue is very much a need – and moreover is specifically cited by the relevant directive.
 
Well, what if I go to parish that isn’t the nearest to my home and I need to take a cab to get there. But I also have a parish close to my home. Then, will I be making the cab driver work? But I am in a youth group in that original parish. Should I go to the one that’s nearer to me instead when I’m not going to the youth group on some days?

Furthermore, what if that person doesn’t believe in God? He won’t be worshiping the Lord’s day or particularly observing it either. So, wouldn’t our actions be of no impact on them?
 
What I meant was, I have a parish near to my home which I can walk to. Will this making me taking a cab unnecessary or is it hard to define?
 
I have heard that it depends on the person. For instance, me working on my car would definitely be wrong for me on Sunday (reason enough being that it would put me the furthest thing from a peaceful holy frame of mind). However, for someone who has that as a hobby or really enjoys it, then no, that’s not restricted work as it applies to the precept. I would say, though, that if the activity took you away from any decent family time then it would be wrong also. All said, though, its as one of the priests of the Fathers of Mercy mission explain to us: “common sense people, common sense!” 🙂

LT
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top