B
BornInMarch
Guest
What is excommunication, and when should the Pope use it?
newadvent.org/cathen/05678a.htmWhat is excommunication, and when should the Pope use it?
Yes, this. It is a public statement to the effect that this person has removed themselves from communion with the Church.newadvent.org/cathen/05678a.htm
In short, it is the acknowledgement that an individual has already willingly separated from the communion of the Catholic Church.
Let the law answer this question:What is excommunication, and when should the Pope use it?
Are excommunications infallible? If they are not, couldn’t it turn out that a person was excommunicated for theological musings that you should have listened to?Yes, this. It is a public statement to the effect that this person has removed themselves from communion with the Church.
In our rush to point out that excommunication is done medicinally for the good of the excommunicate, we shouldn’t forget too, though, that excommunication is also done for the good of the communion. If it is clearly stated that John Smith has shut himself out of communion with the Church, then I know not to listen to John Smith, at least as far as his theological musings are concerned.
Then, O excommunication, where is thy sting?no excommunications are not infallible. If it turns out the person was excommunicated in error, hopefully it can be resolved in their lifetime. If not, it still doesn’t damn the individual to hell necessarily. Final judgment is always up to God.
The one excommunicated feels its prickThen, O excommunication, where is thy sting?
Because if I were excommunicated, I would know that I can’t receive either absolution or Communion, and since I believe in dying a good and holy death, this would probably prompt me to repent and seek the lifting of the punishment so that I can be absolved.Then, O excommunication, where is thy sting?
catholic.com/quickquestions/if-there-is-a-baptism-of-desire-is-there-a-reconciliation-of-desireBecause if I were excommunicated, I would know that I can’t receive either absolution or Communion, and since I believe in dying a good and holy death, this would probably prompt me to repent and seek the lifting of the punishment so that I can be absolved.
Depends on the individual, who is anyone to know or judge?catholic.com/quickquestions/if-there-is-a-baptism-of-desire-is-there-a-reconciliation-of-desire
But it seems to me that an unjustified excommunication would be the sort of “not-your-own-fault” obstacle to confession that would permit you to have perfect contrition.
Why excommunicate them in the first place then?Depends on the individual, who is anyone to know or judge?
People aren’t excommunicated for “musings”. ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/texis/master/search/?sufs=0&q=excommunication&xsubmit=Search&s=SSAre excommunications infallible? If they are not, couldn’t it turn out that a person was excommunicated for theological musings that you should have listened to?
Doesn’t matter. If an excommunication is unjustly imposed on me by a legitimate authority for a clearly execommunicable offense (even though I’m innocent), I’m still validly excommunicated and can’t be validly absolved. If the excommunication was automatic (latae sententiae), then it’s definitely my own fault (because the innocent cannot incur a latae sententiae penalty). Therefore if I’m in mortal sin, there’s a very real danger I could die in mortal sin. That’s not a risk I’m willing to take. What I would do is appeal the penalty using the provisions I have under the law. I won’t go to hell because I’m excommunicated, but because of unforgiven mortal sin.catholic.com/quickquestions/if-there-is-a-baptism-of-desire-is-there-a-reconciliation-of-desire
But it seems to me that an unjustified excommunication would be the sort of “not-your-own-fault” obstacle to confession that would permit you to have perfect contrition.
I used the term “musing” because someone earlier in the thread used that term. Here is an example of priests who were excommunicated for preaching that slavery (as it was practiced in their area) was unjust:People aren’t excommunicated for “musings”. ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/texis/master/search/?sufs=0&q=excommunication&xsubmit=Search&s=SS
Martin Luther was excommunicated. No excommunication is meant to be permanent. A person can always repent and change their direction.
past.oxfordjournals.org/content/115/1/52.full.pdfOne was a Spaniard, Francisco de Jaca, the other a Frenchman, Epiphane de Moirans. Both had been excommunicated in Havana in 1681 and subsequently arrested for behaviour which had resulted, so reported the local authorities, “in the gravest scandals”. They had preached that “the owners of Negro slaves should liberate them and their children and pay them for their labours”, and they had refused to give absolution to those who did not promise to do this. Both Capuchins had written defences of their position. Fray Francisco’s statement is a vibrant denunciation of the abuses and injustices that he had witnessed; Pere Epiphane was a competent canon lawyer and his statement marshals at length the case against the Atlantic slave trade.
I’m starting to read the book you referrenceI used the term “musing” because someone earlier in the thread used that term. Here is an example of priests who were excommunicated for preaching that slavery (as it was practiced in their area) was unjust: past.oxfordjournals.org/content/115/1/52.full.pdf
Should they have repented and condoned slavery?
I saw a distinction being made within slavery. Those who are innocent people being enslaved , which the Church is against and those who appear not to be innocent being made slaves. It’s the 2nd catagory that appears not to be condemned. I’m thinking in that case prisoners who are not innocent, and are put into work programs for example.I used the term “musing” because someone earlier in the thread used that term. Here is an example of priests who were excommunicated for preaching that slavery (as it was practiced in their area) was unjust: past.oxfordjournals.org/content/115/1/52.full.pdf
Should they have repented and condoned slavery?
Capuchin Champions of Negro Emancipation in Cuba:I saw a distinction being made within slavery. Those who are innocent people being enslaved , which the Church is against and those who appear not to be innocent being made slaves. It’s the 2nd catagory that appears not to be condemned. I’m thinking in that case prisoners who are not innocent, and are put into work programs for example.
How are you reading it? books.google.com/books?id=jeJMGQiSQ7AC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=francisco+de+Jaca,+excommunication&source=bl&ots=ORVg9iK1Md&sig=FunBVM5f8VRCQmZs3dTIipunLH4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ImbIU8-9GpSeyATNw4GQCA&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=francisco%20de%20Jaca%2C%20excommunication&f=false
It wasn’t clear to me why Francisco de Jaca, and Epiphane de Moirans were excommunicated for their “behavior” or who excommunicated them.
The provisor, or vicar, of the bishop of Cuba admonished the two friars to cease such preaching… but they advised him that they were not subject to the jurisdiction of the local bishop in these matters.
When the complaints of the slave-holders increased, the provisor issued orders that the Capuchins be taken to a monastery in the city in order to silence them. He also threatened to suspend their faculties of preaching and hearing confessions if they would not obey his orders. Relying on papal exemption, they paid no attention to the episcopal official. Thereupon the provisor carried out his threat by withdrawing from them the faculties of preaching and confessing. When this did not stop them, he took the extreme measure of declaring them excommunicated.
Capuchin Champions of Negro Emancipation in Cuba:
It appears the following passage you selected, answers that question you asked (emphasis mine)Here is an example of priests who were excommunicated for preaching that slavery (as it was practiced in their area) was unjust: past.oxfordjournals.org/conte…/1/52.full.pdf
Should they have repented and condoned slavery?
The part of the book I previously quoted, books.google.com/books?id=jeJ…cation&f=false showed the Church is opposed to slavery. Hence as you point out in that quote, based on what the Church teaches about slavery, papal exemption for those 2 Capuchins, from following the local bishop was granted. This was obviously an example of a bishop who was not upholding Church teaching. I’m actually surprised the bishop as a result, didn’t get the hook from the pope.The provisor, or vicar, of the bishop of Cuba admonished the two friars to cease such preaching… but they advised him that they were not subject to the jurisdiction of the local bishop in these matters.
When the complaints of the slave-holders increased, the provisor issued orders that the Capuchins be taken to a monastery in the city in order to silence them. He also threatened to suspend their faculties of preaching and hearing confessions if they would not obey his orders. Relying on papal exemption, they paid no attention to the episcopal official. Thereupon the provisor carried out his threat by withdrawing from them the faculties of preaching and confessing. When this did not stop them, he took the extreme measure of declaring them excommunicated.