What is God' Life Like?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joshrp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joshrp

Guest
Hi,

I was wondering what God’s life is like. I don’t know if this is a valid way to put the question, but how does He “feel” about Himself?

Joshua
 
I don’t know if anyone can really answer this question, except God of course 🙂 but - the way I understand it, each Person of the Holy Trinity loves the other Persons perfectly… and so God is perfect love. He is completely holy, and loving at the same time. Also we know that God has a will, and of course He knows everything… Beyond this, I can not answer 🙂

God bless
 
I don’t know if anyone can really answer this question, except God of course 🙂 but - the way I understand it, each Person of the Holy Trinity loves the other Persons perfectly… and so God is perfect love. He is completely holy, and loving at the same time. Also we know that God has a will, and of course He knows everything… Beyond this, I can not answer 🙂

God bless
I really want to know so badly. It’s like an obsession to me. I just want to know God and nothing else.
 
I really want to know so badly. It’s like an obsession to me. I just want to know God and nothing else.
(emphasis mine)

Squash that obsession then. You’re commanded by God to LOVE Him, and to LOVE your neighbors as well. When we are focused ONLY on gnosis of things which we cannot understand, and fail to know and love our neighbors, then we violate the commandment that God has given us.

Besides, like the old adage goes:
I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see.
I sought my God, but He eluded me.
But was when I sought my brother, that I found all three.
 
I really want to know so badly. It’s like an obsession to me. I just want to know God and nothing else.
If you really want to know God so intimately, so directly, that you’re willing to give up anything for it, which is truly the best disposition of a believer, by the way, then you need to seek Him. Read the contemplatives/mystics, such as St Teresa of Avila and St John of the Cross to see how they did it and follow suit. It’s up to His discretion how He answers our prayers, of course, but He doesn’t deny a heart that seeks Him earnestly.
 
(emphasis mine)

Squash that obsession then. You’re commanded by God to LOVE Him, and to LOVE your neighbors as well. When we are focused ONLY on gnosis of things which we cannot understand, and fail to know and love our neighbors, then we violate the commandment that God has given us.

Besides, like the old adage goes:
I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see.
I sought my God, but He eluded me.
But was when I sought my brother, that I found all three.
Greetings Promethius,

If one comes to know and love God, then they will come to know and love others. These are inseparable.

As one grows into a deeper knowledge and Union with God, they cannot help but love as God does.

God bless.
Anathama Sit.
 
This site should give you something to chew over: 😃 Just scroll down a bit.
thesumma.info/reality/index.php

Plus a quote from “Theology and Sanity” by Frank Sheed, published by Ignatius Press.
From Page 122:

God, the infinite fullness of Existence, is wholly Himself in one infinite act of being, utterly fulfilled in infinite knowledge and infinite love, utterly simple, utterly single: yet not solitary…God is one, but it it is not the oneness of infinite solitude: it is the oneness of one infinite Godhead triply uttered: a comunication of infinite truth and infinite love among three, infinite self-revelation, infinite self-donation,*** companionship at the level of divinity.***
Awesome! Sublime!

This book devotes more than 30 pages to the doctrine of the Blessed Trinity! :eek:

We should try to learn something about the inner Life of God. As Frank Sheed says elsewhere in the same book: God is the Lover; and we are His beloved. The Lover wants to be known by His beloved.
In another place, Frank Sheed says that not wanting to know about God shows a certain callousness.
 
This site should give you something to chew over: 😃 Just scroll down a bit.
thesumma.info/reality/index.php

Plus a quote from “Theology and Sanity” by Frank Sheed, published by Ignatius Press.
From Page 122:

God, the infinite fullness of Existence, is wholly Himself in one infinite act of being, utterly fulfilled in infinite knowledge and infinite love, utterly simple, utterly single: yet not solitary…God is one, but it it is not the oneness of infinite solitude: it is the oneness of one infinite Godhead triply uttered: a comunication of infinite truth and infinite love among three, infinite self-revelation, infinite self-donation, companionship at the level of divinity.
This book devotes more than 30 pages to the doctrine of the Blessed Trinity! :eek:
I need to read this book so badly. I bought a copy and I haven’t opened it yet.

But Jesus says to Peter “Do you love Me more than these” and THEN He says “Feed my sheep”
 
Greetings Promethius,

If one comes to know and love God, then they will come to know and love others. These are inseparable.

As one grows into a deeper knowledge and Union with God, they cannot help but love as God does.

God bless.
Anathama Sit.
You wouldn’t believe how much I just love people. But it kills me because people are destroying themselves so much. And if you try to tell them to stop, they go wild on you.
 
You wouldn’t believe how much I just love people. But it kills me because people are destroying themselves so much. And if you try to tell them to stop, they go wild on you.
Joshrp,

Think of the sadness that God feels when he sees people destroying eachother. Pray to him, pray for their conversion, offer sacrifices for them, Go to Mass as often as you can and remember them in your prayers at Mass.

It goes back to that saying about St. Francis, Preach the Gospel at all times, and if necessary use words.

God bless.
Anathama Sit
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top