What is God's relationship with time?

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteDove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
cheddarsox:
I do not think time exists. I did not pick the time does not exist option, because it includes the idea of eternity, which is wedded to time, so therefore does not exist either.
That’s a good point that I missed. I voted for that option with some reservation because there are other reasons that time does not “exist.” Whether it objectively does, in a way, may just be more a matter of linguistics than anything else anyway.

Then again, is “eternity” really a measure of time, or is equating eternity to the present moment like dividing zero by zero or something odd like that? Maybe we need a celestial form of L’Hopital’s Rule. 😛

I was also tempted to vote a couple other options. I almost voted for Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all “can be” in or out of time, as I think they can do that to intersect our worlds.

In high school (1977) I wrote a review for biology of a Scientific American article on “The Direction of Time.” That’s a bit off topic, but it was interesting to note that some events look entirely reversible, especially if you look close enough, like molecules in the air deflecting from each other. Statistically, though, when those molecules bounce around with air and find their way out of a perfume bottle into the room, they are perfectly capable of all just “happening” to find their way back in, but they don’t. Not because they can’t, they just don’t because the odds are too strong against it.

Alan

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
In high school (1977) I wrote a review for biology of a Scientific American article on “The Direction of Time.” That’s a bit off topic, but it was interesting to note that some events look entirely reversible, especially if you look close enough, like molecules in the air deflecting from each other. Statistically, though, when those molecules bounce around with air and find their way out of a perfume bottle into the room, they are perfectly capable of all just “happening” to find their way back in, but they don’t. Not because they can’t, they just don’t because the odds are too strong against it.

Alan
Have you ever tried this? Put glycerine in a test tube, put a stir stick in tube, add drop of ink, stir one 360, and then stir “back”, and the ink drop will reform. Anyway, it will if you are careful to keep stir stick at same level etc. Very interesting!

While some minor events are, seem to be, or theoretically are reversible, we can’t put the whole cat into the bag again. Doesn’t mean the divine couldn’t, but we can’t. Probably a very good thing.LOL.

Sometimes I wonder if the universe isn’t a torus, and it expands and contracts, or rather appears to around a very tiny aperature. And I wonder, with each go round if things would happen the same, or with slight variation or completely fresh! One of those things I like to lay in bed and think about…

Anyway, I always enjoy reading your posts. Fun to find another who thinks outside the box, bag, reuseable lunch container, oil barrel and birdhouse!

see you round the forums,

cheddar

40.png
cheddarsox:
Have you ever tried this? Put glycerine in a test tube, put a stir stick in tube, add drop of ink, stir one 360, and then stir “back”, and the ink drop will reform. Anyway, it will if you are careful to keep stir stick at same level etc. Very interesting!
No, that’s just too silly. I would never have bet you can “unstir” something. :eek:

Alan

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
No, that’s just too silly. I would never have bet you can “unstir” something. :eek:

Alan
It is really rather amazing!

cheddar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back