V
VesselofMercy
Guest
In your own understanding, what exactly constitutes idolatry? How do you know if something is idolatry or not? Is this a sin many people struggle with?
Idolatry is putting something over God…could be money, sports, a person. We don´t have as much problem nowadays with a golden calf, but it’d be more likely something else…computer, work,…whatever.In your own understanding, what exactly constitutes idolatry? How do you know if something is idolatry or not? Is this a sin many people struggle with?
Good answer.Idolatry is placing something else before God.
Yes many people struggle with Idolatry.
Peace
James
I’m glad the book was of help to you…Good answer.
(Oh, and that book (I read it b/c of your tag) was very good.)
I might have to read it again in purgatory…I’m glad the book was of help to you…
Peace
James
What I liked so much about it was how it tended to cut through a lot of "layers’ of theology and doctrine and rules etc. and got down to the basics.I might have to read it again in purgatory…
(by that I mean I can never achieve its ends in this life, and it is a book that (for me anyway) was above my intellect grade at times…but the parts I got were very enlightening, and thought provoking).
Yes indeed. And it’s a tall order.What I liked so much about it was how it tended to cut through a lot of "layers’ of theology and doctrine and rules etc. and got down to the basics.
Jesus presented us with a very great challenge - to live by the simplest, yet difficult, standard…Love.
Peace
James
Yes indeed. And it’s a tall order.
The biggest takeaway message for me was the idea that we cannot possibly love God the same way He loves us…and that our sole purpose here is to learn that kind of love (practicing on our ‘neighbor’).
I used thoughts from the book in a recent presentation on sin (to RCIA).
Modern Catholic Dictionary:In your own understanding, what exactly constitutes idolatry? How do you know if something is idolatry or not? Is this a sin many people struggle with?
It means that you treat some thing as if it were your god. You pay ‘it’ the same kind of ‘worship’ that you are supposed to give to God (and in so doing, you ignore and dismiss God Himself).What exactly is “Divine honors”? And how do you determine if you are personally committing idolatry?