What is man's natural family state?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aball1035
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aball1035

Guest
I know that God permitted men to take many wives back in the Old Testament, but it’s now forbidden. That got me thinking-what is man’s most natural state with having a family (with no religion involved)?

In addition, what is women’s most natural state?
 
To remain single as long as possible, then accept the leash of marriage gracefully, and suffer with the rest of us.:):)🙂
 
What do you mean by most natural? Often people say that what is easiest for our human nature is natural and so end up excusing sin. The most natural state in a way that excludes any sin is staying single and celibate till marriage, then marrying. There are other vocations like religious life that require special grace from God because our nature finds them difficult, but if a person is called to it, God’s grace makes it possible and joyful.
 
I just wanted to clarify, I’m not sure if I said this correctly, because marriage is a vocation too so people who marry need to discern this too and it’s also a vocation from God. It’s not like it’s a vocation without God’s calling and grace, while religious life is. Both are vocations and God acts in both. I wish I could edit my comment lol. And if a person was called to a different vocation but married instead, they might find it difficult also. I think what I meant is just that a religious vocation is such a renunciation of self that it can’t really be accomplished naturally. It’s objectively superior as taught by the Church.
 
I think, OP, you are asking about the natural family state in terms of an anthropological sense so I’ll answer (since I majored in anthropology in college but didn’t graduate 😦

The natural sense, in terms of what life was like 25k or so years ago, is that people lived in large family groups. Not all were related, but most were to some extent (distant cousins, etc). While it’s impossible to say with any confidence that men and women were monogamous to each other, anthropologists can use current tribes of people that are relatively untouched by modern civilization as examples. People are, in general, monogamous. The real main differences between ancient peoples and us today is the extended family groups, and for that, I think they were better off than us.
 
Let’s see, God created Adam and then gave him Eve to love and begin procreation of a family. I have to go with what God created to begin with to answer the question. Also begs the answer to homosexuality if you just think about it. God’s people from the beginning have obviously felt they know more than God and have constantly changed things to fit their definitions away from God’s, ie prostetants, muslims, etc. God’s Word thru Jesus Christ came to make eternal life available to all who come to Him not just the Isralites. We need to study God’s Word in the New Testament.
 
I know that God permitted men to take many wives back in the Old Testament, but it’s now forbidden. That got me thinking-what is man’s most natural state with having a family (with no religion involved)?

In addition, what is women’s most natural state?
I don’t know if I’d go as far as to say that God “permitted” a man having many wives, since it went against God’s plan of Adam and Eve (not Adam and Eve, plus Beth, and Maggie, and Karen). I’d say the whole polygamy thing was born out of a flawed and sinful culture, which as you can see, God dealt with.

A man and a woman’s natural state is whatever God has called that particular individual to. It could be married life (to only one spouse), a religious vocation, or simply the single life.
 
Although polygamy was practiced in Hebrew times, it was never encouraged by God. Each time it happened, it did so without GOD’s guidance (Abraham turning to Hagar; Jacob and Rachel + Leah; etc).

Also, every time it appeared in Scripture, it led to generational trouble, from Isaac vs. Ishmael to the battles between the sons of David, and the nationwide apostasy driven by Solomon’s wives, etc.

Genesis says man shall cling to his wife, not wives. Our LORD never made allowances for polygamy.

ISTM that GOD intended human life for monogamy.

ICXC NIKA
 
Although polygamy was practiced in Hebrew times, it was never encouraged by God. Each time it happened, it did so without GOD’s guidance (Abraham turning to Hagar; Jacob and Rachel + Leah; etc).

Also, every time it appeared in Scripture, it led to generational trouble, from Isaac vs. Ishmael to the battles between the sons of David, and the nationwide apostasy driven by Solomon’s wives, etc.

Genesis says man shall cling to his wife, not wives. Our LORD never made allowances for polygamy.

ISTM that GOD intended human life for monogamy.

ICXC NIKA
Jesus raised marriage to a Sacrament, one man married to one woman. And to know how sacred it is, just read how many times He compared himself, (the Bridegroom), and His Church, (the Bride) to the married state. This is the Truth, no matter how far mankind strays from that truth. God Bless, Memaw
 
I think, OP, you are asking about the natural family state in terms of an anthropological sense so I’ll answer (since I majored in anthropology in college but didn’t graduate 😦

The natural sense, in terms of what life was like 25k or so years ago, is that people lived in large family groups. Not all were related, but most were to some extent (distant cousins, etc). While it’s impossible to say with any confidence that men and women were monogamous to each other, anthropologists can use current tribes of people that are relatively untouched by modern civilization as examples. People are, in general, monogamous. The real main differences between ancient peoples and us today is the extended family groups, and for that, I think they were better off than us.
The natural state would be anywhere between Alabama and Wyoming:D
 
I think, OP, you are asking about the natural family state in terms of an anthropological sense so I’ll answer (since I majored in anthropology in college but didn’t graduate 😦

The natural sense, in terms of what life was like 25k or so years ago, is that people lived in large family groups. Not all were related, but most were to some extent (distant cousins, etc). While it’s impossible to say with any confidence that men and women were monogamous to each other, anthropologists can use current tribes of people that are relatively untouched by modern civilization as examples. People are, in general, monogamous. The real main differences between ancient peoples and us today is the extended family groups, and for that, I think they were better off than us.
Yes, this is what I’m trying to get at. With no religion nor culture, what would our natural state be in terms of anthropology?
 
Yes, this is what I’m trying to get at. With no religion nor culture, what would our natural state be in terms of anthropology?
As men and women are approximately equal in numbers, monogamy would appear to be
the preferred state. If polygamy became the norm, many men would not find wives and their genes would be “wasted.”

ICXC NIKA
 
As men and women are approximately equal in numbers, monogamy would appear to be
the preferred state. If polygamy became the norm, many men would not find wives and their genes would be “wasted.”

ICXC NIKA
That would be a terrible thing for companies like Wrangler, Levis, Osh-Kosh, and Lees who make and sell “Genes”!😃
 
Yes, this is what I’m trying to get at. With no religion nor culture, what would our natural state be in terms of anthropology?
It appears to tend toward monogamy, which is different from being solely monogamous. When examining some of the still-existing primitive cultures, it’s hard to make generalizations, other then most tend toward monogamy. When you start looking at the specifics, you’ll see a wide variety of differences between the groups; e.g., sex before marriage, a man with a wife though occasionally having sex with other woman, etc. There are also some very primitive groups where men and woman are polygamous (e.g., Zo’e tribe).

It seems that as cultures “evolve” into the modern world, monogamy becomes the norm. There are some notable exceptions, such as in the Muslim world. However, in these situations it’s generally not due to evolution, but typically decree due to religion.
 
I know that God permitted men to take many wives back in the Old Testament, but it’s now forbidden. That got me thinking-what is man’s most natural state with having a family (with no religion involved)?

In addition, what is women’s most natural state?
What was Adam’s?
 
Although polygamy was practiced in Hebrew times, it was never encouraged by God. Each time it happened, it did so without GOD’s guidance (Abraham turning to Hagar; Jacob and Rachel + Leah; etc).

Also, every time it appeared in Scripture, it led to generational trouble, from Isaac vs. Ishmael to the battles between the sons of David, and the nationwide apostasy driven by Solomon’s wives, etc.

Genesis says man shall cling to his wife, not wives. Our LORD never made allowances for polygamy.

ISTM that GOD intended human life for monogamy.

ICXC NIKA
I agree the same way that Our Lord never intended for divorce, but divorce still happened. It is because of men’ will, not God’s will.
 
I agree the same way that Our Lord never intended for divorce, but divorce still happened. It is because of men’ will, not God’s will.
Our Lord also never intended His Church to be split up 30,000 different ways but that happened too, thanks to man’s will.
 
Yes, this is what I’m trying to get at. With no religion nor culture, what would our natural state be in terms of anthropology?
Well… considering God created us, how can we seperate religion from our natural state???

We were created to be in perfect harmony with God but because of the fall sin entered the world and people often have trouble feeling close to God. Isn’t our natural state to want to be close to God?
 
Well… considering God created us, how can we seperate religion from our natural state???

We were created to be in perfect harmony with God but because of the fall sin entered the world and people often have trouble feeling close to God. Isn’t our natural state to want to be close to God?
My natural state is Illinois, Someone else’s is Alaska, Another’s is Wisconsin, Florida, etc.:rolleyes:
 
I know that God permitted men to take many wives back in the Old Testament, but it’s now forbidden. That got me thinking-what is man’s most natural state with having a family (with no religion involved)?

In addition, what is women’s most natural state?
The beauty of catholic teaching is that it’s observably true! Religious truth is totally relevant to everyday life, you simply can’t separate the two.

Man is good, but fallen. Thus, he will be attracted to both good and evil. Evil tends to be destructive to man and the larger community of men. Good tends to be healthy and constructive. The extent to which a culture adopts good principles plays will give it an enormous long term advantage over a culture that adopts evil principles.

Before we go further, where did you get the idea that God “permitted” men to have many wives??? You won’t find that in the bible or in Tradition. What you’ll find is that men DID have many wives. That doesn’t imply God’s endorsement. On the contrary, polygamy is a source of severe problems eveywhere it appears in the bible. That precisely what sin IS: a missing of the mark that reduces our ability to give and receive love in accordance with God’s design.

Maybe this is what you are looking for. Imagine you take a group of humans and plant them on a large remote island and wipe their minds of all references to religion, history and culture. They begin a culture mof their own and will experiment with all sorts of things. As many generations pass and the human community expands into a variety of tribes, you will find that the tribe that learns and adopts virtuous behaviors will thrive. The tribes that adopt vices as their values will NOT thrive. In my mind, it’ unquestionable that the dominant tribe will be one that adopts monogamy. It’s THAT important to human flourishing.

I’m confident of this because it’s an experiement that HAS been done. It’s called Earth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top