WHAT is original sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter thinkandmull
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Human nature is deprived of original holiness and justice is a Catholic teaching.

What turned me off is when he said: “In essence, man is totally depraved, and true free will is far beyond his grasp.” Catholic teaching is that human nature was wounded and not totally depraved or corrupted. Catholic teaching is that man always has true free will within his grasp in order to seek God.
Yes, I think he chose totally deprived to support his arguement.

Why is it we should believe that A&E had O.H and O.J, when they seem to have had the same choice as we have now? I mean we don’t see them as supernatural, or God like, only made in the image of God. It maybe that because God creates the first two humans, then nothing evil could ever exist because God is good, so therefore the first two humans were good. But at some point they decided on a choice by their own mind, which went against Gods command, but they could only do this if before hand they already know that what they choose is up to them. They had freewill, a brain, and conscience.

So why not just “normal humans” on a journey?
 
Thanks again for the reply and conversation on this subject.
By the sixteenth century, the Protestant reformers taught that Original Sin had radically perverted human nature and thus destroyed its freedom. This teaching was dismissed by Major Church Councils according to the wisdom of the promised Holy Spirit.
I was not referring to this when I was speaking of mans nature. I was referring to what the Church Fathers taught with regards to original sin, and mans created nature.

I wish I could find again what I was reading and link it, but at the moment I can not find it. I was curious about the temptation of Christ one day and started reading up on the subject, and found something from one of the Church Fathers in which they discussed the nature of man when he was created, and how the temptation of Christ relates to Adam. In that document, he discussed how Jesus was tempted from without, not from within, because sin was not in Christs nature, just as sin was not in Adams nature when he was created. It was an outward assault of temptation, not an inward suggestion, that caused the first man to sin. Though he had the freedom to choose, sin was not in his nature.

There is this, which is a great article from the Catholic Encyclopedia on the subject of original sin:
newadvent.org/cathen/11312a.htm (though many articles in the CE can be a little hard to understand by the average reader)

It also indicates, logically, that the nature of man was changed with the first sin.
  1. Man is now born into sin. Sin is in his nature.
  2. The consequence of sin is death. Man was immortal in his original created state.
So when I talk about the nature of man being corrupted, this is what I am talking about. The immediate problem I see with the protestant teaching, is that it seems to indicate mans freedom was destroyed. That is clearly wrong to me. This sort of teaching would relieve man of all his sins, and suggest he has no control over it, and, therefore, no consequence (no corporeal punishment). No, I wouldn’t go along with that for even a second.
Pardon me. This is a popular misunderstanding of human nature itself. Common sense regarding human nature and its conscience is needed when dealing with Adam pre-Fall. Personally, I find the problem to be the modern loss of the “difference” between the Creator and the creature leading to the requirements for a real person such as Adam.
I’m not sure if I understand what you mean by modern loss of the “difference”…I’d need you to explain this a little more perhaps to understand what exactly you mean (do you mean, something was taken away? As in, we lost grace?-- If so, I agree, that is one consequence of sin though not the only one). My own personal point of view requires that a real person such as Adam did exist, that he did sin, and he brought the consequence of sin upon all of us.
The question we need to ask ourselves is --Was pre-Fall Adam rational with a conscience?
I would say he was rational, because Adam and Eve clearly reasoned that the food from the tree was good despite Gods command, through being tempted by the devil (Note: It must be made clear here that they did not have it within their nature to eat from the tree and disobey God-- there was no temptation from within to do so. It was the devil that tempted them from without that got the man to reason that the fruit was good, and sin against God— this relates to Christs temptation: newadvent.org/cathen/14504b.htm)). Now, just because he was rational, does not automatically mean he had knowledge of good and evil.

Would a man free from all concupiscence have or need a conscience? At this point, I don’t see how he logically would. (newadvent.org/cathen/04208a.htm))…I do not see how a conclusion can be logically made that man knew good and evil before the fall. It does not seem to work, because by saying so we must say that man had sin in his nature when he was created (Christ proves to us by His own temptation that this is not the case, for he shows us that He was able to overcome the assault that Adam chose to let overcome him).

So going back to the original post, I think my understanding of the subject is inline with Church teachings, and my answer was sufficient, though perhaps not a complete exegesis of the subject matter. I attempted to explain it in a way that the OP could understand it, but it is up to him/her to continue learning in order to obtain a more in depth understanding, while avoiding the pitfall of past heretical teachings, such as the one you pointed out.

Thank you for responding and challenging my explanation though. It got me reading some more and checking up on some things that I had concluded before. I’ll be sure to keep on examining the subject of original sin though, and I hope our conversation has helped the OP in finding the answer they are looking for.
 
I’m not sure if I understand what you mean by modern loss of the “difference”…
The difference between the Divine Creator and the human creature is clear in these simple sentences found in CCC 396. For additional information, I suggest studying CCC 355-421 and CCC 1730-1732. Obviously, it will be beneficial to use the *CCC *pages of Contents and the Index. To understand the use of small print, please read CCC 20-21. To find contributions from the Early Church Fathers, use the CCC Index of Citations.
**CCC 396 **God created man in his image and established him in his friendship. A spiritual creature, man can live this friendship only in free submission to God. The prohibition against eating “of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil” spells this out: “for in the day that you eat of it, you shall die.” The “tree of the knowledge of good and evil” symbolically evokes the insurmountable limits that man, being a creature, must freely recognize and respect with trust. Man is dependent on his Creator, and subject to the laws of creation and to the moral norms that govern the use of freedom.
 
Does concupiscence come from the body or the soul? The soul comes from God perfect, right?

Also, how can it be said that sin is inevitable? That denies that sin is done by the free will

Finally, *The Mysteries of Christianity *by Matthias Scheeben says “But this relation of the deformity to its cause, the culpable act, may not be regarded as a purely external relation, as if the relation of the deformity to the fault did no more than account for the existence of the deformity, without being necessarily required to impart to it the character of **true **sinfulness. The Church has expressly condemned the proposition of Baius which advances this view.” Prop 46, 47; Denz 1046

Does anyone out there have Denzinger?
 
Does concupiscence come from the body or the soul? The soul comes from God perfect, right?

Also, how can it be said that sin is inevitable? That denies that sin is done by the free will

Finally, *The Mysteries of Christianity *by Matthias Scheeben says “But this relation of the deformity to its cause, the culpable act, may not be regarded as a purely external relation, as if the relation of the deformity to the fault did no more than account for the existence of the deformity, without being necessarily required to impart to it the character of **true **sinfulness. The Church has expressly condemned the proposition of Baius which advances this view.” Prop 46, 47; Denz 1046

Does anyone out there have Denzinger?
The soul animates the body. I think we should think of the body and soul as one. If the soul is “resting” in God, then the soul can help the body.

I don’t think sin is inevitable, if we believe we are givin new life in Christ at baptism, although we are inclined to sin, we can choose to sin or not.

Just my :twocents: as I have many questions on O.S also. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top