G
Genesis315
Guest
Especially since the Church is called the Body of Christ, and last time I checked, Bodies are visible and unified 
One of the mechanisms of action of the pill is to thin the endometrial lining. This information is in found several resources including the prescribing information and Merck Manual:I am looking for the information you requested. I thought I used to have it on my favorites, but I can’t find it.
Again, while this is not directly at papal authority, it is related. We could start a new thread, but I think in one or two more posts this should be resolved.
Since the science was poorly developed, it is not surprising that the philosophy was as well.Really? Is that why all the pagan philosphers condemned it as well?
Oftentimes “plain literal sense” means “my personal interpretation , but I have a lot of people who agree with me, and I don’t really want to question the philosophy behind the words”. It may not, in your case, but this is often what people mean by the statement.Hypothesis not supported by the plain literal sense of any given passage of scripture or Sacred Tradition.
If (b) is correct, then we have objective speculation. And this is objective. It just may not be complete, and it may be wrong.Terminology of subjective speculation.
Let’s wait on this, but at some time I would be interested in knowing what Church Fathers the Orthodox fail to match, in your opinion. If you list them, I probably will not address them here (unless you think the Protestants agree with the Early Church Fathers to a degree greater than the Orthodox).Except that their [Orthodox Church] teachings do not match the historically verifiable teaching of the ECF.
Q: A friend of mine said that his church takes the Bible literally, but that the Catholic Church doesn’t…is that true?
You would, instead, take it to those who are likely members of the Church. This would be true, even in a case where the structure of the Church would be primarily visible, for the hierarchy may not in fact believe or teach the Truth of Jesus Christ, but many times are fallen into heresy. As I believe this also does not protect the teachings of the Pope, I am left with bringing conflicts to those who are older and wiser than I, and who I am fairly confident (though not certain) are members of Christ’s body.I know you wanted to make this a separate topic, and you can answer it in a new thread if you like, but how can you “take it to the church”, per Jesus’ command, if you cannot see the church?
Ah. Then I disagree with you about what the literal meaning is. I do not see it as obvious.That tells you what Catholics mean by literal.
Yeah, but you live in Mordor where the shadows lie so you’re obviously wrong.Ah. Then I disagree with you about what the literal meaning is. I do not see it as obvious.
But I have told you what I think it means.
LOL!Yeah, but you live in Mordor where the shadows lie so you’re obviously wrong.![]()
![]()
Pardon me, but I get the impression you have some real issues here, but what we’re discussing is only tangental to those issues. Why do you have such animosity toward the Papacy? Is there a reason you can articulate?LOL!
A good point… stupid mordor…
Sorryman.
(Get it? I should be drawn and quartered for that one…)
So Christ meant to say, “take it to, say, a half dozen people who you think are at least members of the invisible church…”?You would, instead, take it to those who are likely members of the Church. This would be true, even in a case where the structure of the Church would be primarily visible, for the hierarchy may not in fact believe or teach the Truth of Jesus Christ, but many times are fallen into heresy. As I believe this also does not protect the teachings of the Pope, I am left with bringing conflicts to those who are older and wiser than I, and who I am fairly confident (though not certain) are members of Christ’s body.
Just to be clear, I have no animosity to the Pope. I liked Pope John Paul II, and I like Pope Ratzinger. They seem like real swell guys.Pardon me, but I get the impression you have some real issues here, but what we’re discussing is only tangental to those issues. Why do you have such animosity toward the Papacy? Is there a reason you can articulate?
Perhaps if we discuss the real issues, we can help.
Ibid.It should also be noted that implicit (perhaps even explicit) in this passage from Matthew is the fact that the “Church” must have been a visible, tangible entity established in a hierarchical fashion. Otherwise, how would anyone have known to whom the wrongdoer should be referred? If the Protestant definition of “church” were correct, then the wrongdoer would have to “hear” each and every believer who existed, hoping that there would be unanimity among them regarding the issue at hand. The inherent absurdity of this scenario is readily apparent. The only way we can make sense of Our Lord’s statement here is to acknowledge that here was a definite organization, to which an appeal could be made and from which a decisive judgment could be had.
With all due respect, I suggest the key question is what you call the first kicker. From your disagreement with certain Church teachings all else flows.** The first kicker ** I strongly disagree with the Catholic Church about some of the things it teaches, to the point that I am unwilling to assent to its claimed authority.
** The second kicker ** I disagree with the principle of a sinful human having the powers that the Catholic Church believes the Pope has.
** The third kicker ** from all the verses quoted, and Church Fathers quoted, I find nothing that I would take to mean that the Pope should have the authority claimed.
The real issue is a combination of the first and second kickers. There are some teachings from the Catholic Church that I will never believe, unless Christ would appear to me Himself and made His presence known to me, and then tell me in that vision what to believe.
But this issue is not really debatable. It cannot be fairly challenged (unless you can establish to me that Christ has appeared personally to me).
Not at all. And, if you think it possible to discuss this (I am open to it in principle, but objectivity may be difficult in practice).With all due respect, I suggest the key question is what you call the first kicker. From your disagreement with certain Church teachings all else flows.
Would you mind telling us which Church doctrines you disagree with?
But what specific authority do you object to?Not at all. And, if you think it possible to discuss this (I am open to it in principle, but objectivity may be difficult in practice).
First, I disagree with the principle that the Pope (or any human being, for that matter) should be given so much authority as he is.
Logically, then you could always tell when someone sinned --they’d look older and sicker. But when we say the wages of sin is death, we mean true death – eternal condemnation.Second, I disagree with the Immaculate Conception, as I do not accept the Augustinian view of sin. I see the inherited consequences of sin being age, death, sickness, and moral propensity to sin.
This position on Original Sin is clearly one you have spent time on, but is it the real problem?I believe Mary had all these things, including a moral propensity to sin, but by the Grace of Her Son Our Lord was able to refrain from actual sin. However, as she has the inherited consequences of sin, she has original sin.
I do not accept that the guilt of original sin is inherited, and so in this sense I would believe every human is immaculately conceived. But this because I think St. Augustine’s language concerning original sin is misleading, especially as it concerns the purity of the Blessed Theotokos (since it lead St. Thomas Aquinas into error concerning just this point, I think it fair to claim that the language is at least potentially misleading).
I’m a traditional Catholic and I had a hard time with the vernacular mass, too. But I should point out:Thirdly, I have Vatican II issues (I am not sure how fully we should discuss these here, but some examples are the change in language of the Mass, allowance toward ordinary ministers, taking the precious body in the hand, among others). This would likely preclude me from being in any regular Protestant denomination (though I consider the S-word to be virtually a group of Protestants). But even with the Protestants, at least, most would not claim that they are worshiping correctly; but rather just the best that they know how.
Would I be right to say this is the crux of your dissatisfaction with the Church? The first three issues are essentially academic ones – grist for a philosophical mill, but not touching on you directly.Forthly, I disagree with the Church’s teaching on Contraception. I do not find the scriptural references, nor the arguments from natural law to be at all convincing. Though I accept that contraception is typically a grave matter, I think there are some cases in which it is justified (to save the life of a mother, serious financial difficulty, health issues).
I think this is a catch-all category – each of these matters is worthy of a fuller discussion, and I suspect that with research you would find out that your impression of the Church’s position is not as accurate as it might be.Finally, there are older statements in the official teaching of the Church through the Pontiff (though these are not ex cathedra teachings) that I disagree with (i. e. that it is in accord with the will of the Spirit to burn people at the stake, for example, or that women were meant first to take care of the home, and so it would be better that they not have jobs while they have very young children.) It is debatable whether there were any official statement from the Pope about celestial motion. Though these may be considered wrong now, Vatican II states that all things that the Pope declares should be assented to. I will not assent to wrong things.
Merck Manual, a peer-reviewed text cataloguing and describing medicines contradicts this.
What peer-reviewed study do you have that supports this claim?
One of the mechanisms of action of the pill is to thin the endometrial lining. This information is in found several resources including the prescribing information and Merck Manual:
“The endometrium becomes thin”
merck.com/mmpe/sec18/ch255/ch255b.html#sec18-ch255-ch255b-722
From the resources I used when I prescribed:
“Implantation is hampered by the production of a decidualized endometrial bed with exhausted and atrophied glands.” Contracpetive Technology
“The progestin in the combination pill produces an endometrium that is not receptive to ovum implantation, a decidualized bed with exhausted and atrophied glands.” Clinical Gynecologic Endocinology and Infertility
“Alteration in endometrial lining, preventing implantation…”
Managing Contraceptive Pill Patients
HTH!
Autumn
As you can see from the above post, your understanding of the abotifacient nature of the pill is mistaken.Forthly, I disagree with the Church’s teaching on Contraception. I do not find the scriptural references, nor the arguments from natural law to be at all convincing. Though I accept that contraception is typically a grave matter, I think there are some cases in which it is justified (to save the life of a mother, serious financial difficulty, health issues).
There is no way to know whether this had such authority because he taught it, or rather because it was accepted by the whole of the Church. Since I would argue that Christ taught this clearly to all the disciples, the disciples are not declaring any new teaching, but merely repeating the old (maybe even verbatim, since much of what Christ said and did was not recorded).Peter was given the keys to the kingdon, the power to loose and bind. That’s in the Gospels. He used that power – most impressively to me when he interpreted his vision at Joppa to set aside the Mosaic laws governing diet and relations with Gentiles. This was a truly revolutionary act by the Pope.
Since we have all gained the sickness of the original sin, all of us age and die. Death is both a consequence and a blessing, as it frees us from this life. The spiritual component to sin is the propensity toward more sin, as well as despair. I do not think Our Lady was immune to this, either.Logically, then you could always tell when someone sinned --they’d look older and sicker. But when we say the wages of sin is death, we mean true death – eternal condemnation.
No. (And I decline to respond to the Vatican II defense, mostly because I do not feel charitable enough, nor objective enough, to talk about that.)This position on Original Sin is clearly one you have spent time on, but is it the real problem?
The real problem is not contraception, either. Though this is how the real problem entered into my life.Would I be right to say this is the crux of your dissatisfaction with the Church? The first three issues are essentially academic ones – grist for a philosophical mill, but not touching on you directly.
Actually, I still believe your understanding is.As you can see from the above post, your understanding of the abotifacient nature of the pill is mistaken.
No, these quotes are regarding oral contracpetives. I prescribed contraceptives for years and have studied the information and the fact is there is no direct evidence that OCs are abortifacients; however, there is the potential.Likely most of the quotes you have found (except in Merck), deal with emergency contraceptives, and are likely accurate (though, as I have said, even this is questionable).