What is President-elect Biden's responsibility as a Catholic in relation to the nuclear weapons in his control after January?

• Thread starter Thread starter FiveLinden
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all nuclear weapons are equal. Isn’t there a moral difference between a 10 megaton yield warhead and a 1 kiloton weapon, or even a half kiloton or a 1 ton yield weapon?

A 1-ton yield is a conventional bomb.

But otherwise you’re right about the wide range of nuclear yield and moral considerations.

Last edited:
That brings to mind the Catholic teaching about telling the truth, which includes this from the Catechism:
IV. RESPECT FOR THE TRUTH

The right to the communication of the truth is not unconditional. Everyone must conform his life to the Gospel precept of fraternal love. This requires us in concrete situations to judge whether or not it is appropriate to reveal the truth to someone who asks for it.

2489 Charity and respect for the truth should dictate the response to every request for information or communication. The good and safety of others, respect for privacy, and the common good are sufficient reasons for being silent about what ought not be known or for making use of a discreet language. The duty to avoid scandal often commands strict discretion. No one is bound to reveal the truth to someone who does not have the right to know it.
Bravo! My thoughts exactly.
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
does anyone ever put a sign in their front yard saying “we are unarmed in this house, we’re a peaceful sort, we don’t have the means at our disposal to defend ourselves from bandits and thieves, if you come here with harm on your minds, be assured we’ll either call 911 or just give you a good talking-to while you rob and kill us”?
The equivalent in this case would be a sign saying: “if you attack, or threaten to attack my home and family I have means, against which you have no defence, to obliterate your home and those of your neighbours, causing many deaths”.
That would be one way of putting it. You are not saying you would do it, you are saying you could do it.
40.png
FiveLinden:
“if you attack, or threaten to attack my home and family I have means, against which you have no defence, to obliterate your home and those of your neighbours, causing many deaths”.
More like:

I know you have the means to obliterate my home with no defense and those of my neighbors. I have a big stick too, so that’s a road you don’t want to go down.
This too. Very similar to France’s force de frappe.
And in any event, I’d rather have @HomeschoolDad’s sign in my yard instead of your proposed equivalent.
Which sign is that? The pseudo-Amish one?

If so, that would be your choice.

But there are smaller nuclear weapons with yields between 1 ton and 1 kiloton.

Last edited:
There are some things that are out of my hand and I have to leave it to God all I can really do is lead by example - abortion is allowed in my country and it will not change because its political suicide for politicians. I am not suppose to judge if I follow Jesus teachings.

There is that prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

It grounds me and helps me realize the only thing I can really change is myself.

No I am no an alcoholic or go to AA

If I read the bible things are going downhill like it or not - book of revelations - can we change that?

Last edited:
They say conventional weapons can now do the damage of a small nuke they don’t even need them. Wait till kinetic energy bombs come into play - it doesn’t have to have explosives or nukes it will do ridiculous damage .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back